HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
Starting to get this plane dialed in. Currently have a blend of Hitec 7245's on the tail and Hyperion DH16FMD servos on the wings. Pretty happy overall- the plane flies like a dream. This scheme is very easy to tell perspective - even in low light conditions (these photos were taken by Dave 102269 before 8:00 a.m. today).

Love this plane, its performance and the visibility of these graphics. All money well-spent.

Thanks Chris and the EF team!

Everytime I see these photos I am loving the vinyl more and more.. May need to do something similar so I can see mine.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
I have flown both ways. I Mostly like it without them, but the harriers are definitely less stable. KE is easier with them but it is no big deal without them either. I was gonna cut a pair down to a smaller size and try them that way
Now that you mention it, yeah, the harriers were less stable. I chalked it up to my own lack of skill but it did seem harder. Not too bad though.
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:08 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
I prefer them on just because it makes everything easier and it's a good place for the big round decals .

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
for the extra i find the sfg is a must, like part of the design.

for the edge i didnt like them....more windsensitive and it flies even uncleaner than it already does
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:17 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Welp, just lost my beloved Edge. 100% my fault. I am learnign hovering, and I couldn't get out of a really low one and boom left wing first into the ground. Ripped out the gear, cracked fuse in half, cracked a wing, etc.
The weird part is that I'm still smiling about how much fun I was having.

I'm ordering a new one, luckily they are in stock. Does anyone know if there are any coupon codes right now at EF?
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:50 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,838 Posts
Bummer about the plane, but I definitely get the smile part! It's called progress.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Welp, just lost my beloved Edge. 100% my fault. I am learnign hovering, and I couldn't get out of a really low one and boom left wing first into the ground. Ripped out the gear, cracked fuse in half, cracked a wing, etc.
The weird part is that I'm still smiling about how much fun I was having.

I'm ordering a new one, luckily they are in stock. Does anyone know if there are any coupon codes right now at EF?
Umm don't believe I have ever seen a coupon code. They have a certain percentage off during big events they cannot attend but thats about it.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
Planes & Falconry my passions
New York
Joined Mar 2010
157 Posts
Can I move the ESC to the back to make the Edge more tail heavy or it has to be in the front as the manual shows to let more air cool it down?

Thank you!!
Feliperc is offline Find More Posts by Feliperc
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:01 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliperc View Post
Can I move the ESC to the back to make the Edge more tail heavy or it has to be in the front as the manual shows to let more air cool it down?

Thank you!!
Mine's under the battery tray and runs cool. However I'm running a big 100A Turnigy ESC with huge heat sinks... maybe overkill, but if you baffle it right and have a big hole in the bottom of the plane I couldn't imagine it being that bad. Worth a shot. Stick it under there, do half a flight, come down and stick your finger on it (or heat sensor) and judge it from there. I absolutely hate adding weight to my planes, but if you can get the CG back to neutral (no down needed for level inverted flight) then that's about the best place to be IMO.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,016 Posts
I agree with Tom. Give it a try! You might try putting some foam or something between it and the battery tray so that it has a bit of insulation from the battery heat. Or maybe glue two pieces of square stock under tray so that you create air space between the esc and lipo...
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
I agree with Tom. Give it a try! You might try putting some foam or something between it and the battery tray so that it has a bit of insulation from the battery heat. Or maybe glue two pieces of square stock under tray so that you create air space between the esc and lipo...
Foam may not be the best thing to use because foam will retain the heat and halt airflow, but like you said maybe some pieces of square stock to separate the two and allow air to pass through.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
Can you post a link where you got your servos and are you using a separate BEC? I am still learning
I have added a separate BEC (10amp Castle , little blue one) but I ran for a long time without it. However I did get caught with an ESC (ESC caught fire ) not to long ago on another plane. If I had it wired differently I should of still had at least power to my Rx and servos. However in this case I did not. Plane went right in and was destroyed. So bottom line is if you dont use a separate BEC or battery and you have an ESC problem you could end up not having control over your plane.

I have my 60" running the ATX all the way around and so far I am very pleased with them for the price. They center very well and have plenty of torque. It took me a few flights to adjust to the speed because they are a little slower but after a few flights it doesn't bother me at all now. I got these from amainhobbies, good people to do business with. So far their customer service has been awesome with any problems I have had. So the best I have dealt with in this hobby (Thanks Heather). http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...+94820&x=0&y=0
mbritt is offline Find More Posts by mbritt
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:51 AM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
776 Posts
Batteries

Ok, I've reached a point where I am flying harder and harder so I have had to keep reducing my time down. I admit I'm using cheaper packs and have 8 sets so at first it didn't really bother me as much. I currently have some 2x3000 zippy 20c sets and some 6s 3300 20c packs. I have tried the 3700 25c zippy compacts and they are better. My question is.... whats the right balance as far as capacity versus C rating for this plane. I know Tom and his Dad like the 3300 30c I think and so far they have givin me allot of great advice (thanks guys). Would I be better to go to like a 4000 25c or a 3300 35c as far as better flight time and power throughout the flight. Keep in mind I like to buy 8 batteries so when I go to practice I'm doing just that. What the groups thoughts?
mbritt is offline Find More Posts by mbritt
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbritt View Post
Ok, I've reached a point where I am flying harder and harder so I have had to keep reducing my time down. I admit I'm using cheaper packs and have 8 sets so at first it didn't really bother me as much. I currently have some 2x3000 zippy 20c sets and some 6s 3300 20c packs. I have tried the 3700 25c zippy compacts and they are better. My question is.... whats the right balance as far as capacity versus C rating for this plane. I know Tom and his Dad like the 3300 30c I think and so far they have givin me allot of great advice (thanks guys). Would I be better to go to like a 4000 25c or a 3300 35c as far as better flight time and power throughout the flight. Keep in mind I like to buy 8 batteries so when I go to practice I'm doing just that. What the groups thoughts?
Tom seems to assess things better in flight than I do just because he's a much better pilot. I know he likes the 3300mAh 30C Skys because he gets the same punch at the end of his 6 minute flight as he gets in the first minute, which I agree with. They are also about the same price... maybe a few dollars more than the Zippy's.

On the other hand, a 3300mAh capacity peaking near 70A needs just over 21C, and a Turnigy or Flightmax reading of 25C is a bit close IMO. I would not go less than 30C with a 3300. The 4000 will need a 17.5C so 25C should be fine, but I also have a problem with batteries that have a high discharge rate, and a low charge rate. The bottom line for me is that we just don't buy Turnigy and Zippy batteries anymore because of how Tom beats up batteries. We're using 5 and 6 cell Skys (3C charge rate) and Gens (5C charge rate) in the planes pulling up to 120A.

We're also testing another brand name at the 50C discharge rate and a bit lighter than the Skys and Gens but only have a 1C charge rate, and we don't really have enough data to pass any judgments yet. They do come down a bit warmer than the Skys which goes back to my original question about high discharge and low charge rates.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbritt View Post
More flight time means you need more mAh. More power... all the C rating is is a discharge rate, meaning when you give the power to it, it's going to give it to you. So it's not "more power" per se, it's just when you need it, it'll give it to you. This can translate to shorter flight times, but it also can translate to longer battery life because there's less resistance and heat buildup on the battery. My 30C batteries burst to 60C, so it's plenty, and like my dad said above, I get consistent power throughout the flight... and I get roughly 6 minutes on my setup with 3300mAh packs. If you want more flight time, you can go to a higher mAh capacity battery, however it adds weight.

This is just a very rough understanding of this stuff, but it's what I've noticed over my time flying and trying different setups. I'm not big on the math, but I've tried a bunch of different packs and I remember that when I went from using a 20C zippy pack last summer in my 48" Extra, and the next flight Austin let me try one of his 65C TP packs, my flight time was cut by about 30 seconds (I really felt the power drop off...), and I attributed that to the higher C rating giving me power when I asked for it, instead of holding back at 20C, and therefore sucking the battery dry quicker. Now I'm not sure if there's math to support that somewhere... but it's what I noticed.

Also, I had a few 20-30C Turnigy packs, and a few 30-40C Turnigy packs I used in the same plane. I noticed the 30-40C packs had more punch at the start, but eventually leveled off with the 20-30C packs and the flight time was similar, while the 20-30C packs provided consistent power throughout the flight, but they didn't have the slightly better first minute punch the 30-40Cs had.

--Tom K.

P.S. If I confused you, Aeroplayin (dad) has a better grip on the math of things.
RCG Plus Member