Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:25 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
Has anybody around here tried these? :

Solar D658

4.4 kg/cm, metal gear, dual ball bearing, digital, coreless motor, .08 seconds, 26 grams, all for $12.35???

Seems way too good to possibly be true...
I've been using them now since they first came out. The first set has well over 100 hard 3D flights on it and they are working fine, center great, no blow black, and as of yet no gear slop. I've been using these on my VH 47" Sabre profile. The second set is on my full fuse 51" Sabre X from VH and they have about 60 hard flights or so and so far so good. Not that I'm necessarily recommending them, just reporting how they have been working so far, and so far I'm very happy with them. On the 47" Sabre I'm running them at 5.5 volts and on the 51" Sabre X I'm running them at 6 volts.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,831 Posts
I have been running Hyperion DH 16 FMD servos all around and surface flutter on power-up was pretty bad. Velcro in strategic locations all but stopped the ailerons, but the rudder and elevator were still bouncing around center quite a bit. I decided to try Hitec 7245's in the tail and- WOW, what a difference. The specs are similar, but there is no bouncing on startup and they are rock solid in flight as well. The Hyperions moved around (twitched) - even in flight. I am much happier with the Hitecs and will move that way shortly for all servos.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I've been using them now since they first came out. The first set has well over 100 hard 3D flights on it and they are working fine, center great, no blow black, and as of yet no gear slop. I've been using these on my VH 47" Sabre profile. The second set is on my full fuse 51" Sabre X from VH and they have about 60 hard flights or so and so far so good. Not that I'm necessarily recommending them, just reporting how they have been working so far, and so far I'm very happy with them. On the 47" Sabre I'm running them at 5.5 volts and on the 51" Sabre X I'm running them at 6 volts.
Are you a hard core 3D banger? Those servos are ridiculously cheap They also have less torque than the Hitec 5245's that do blow back??

I'm not being inflammatory, just trying to get an idea of what kind af flying your doing so as to put your stated experience into context. All information much appreciated
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,831 Posts
60 Pics with B&E Graphix

Starting to get this plane dialed in. Currently have a blend of Hitec 7245's on the tail and Hyperion DH16FMD servos on the wings. Pretty happy overall- the plane flies like a dream. This scheme is very easy to tell perspective - even in low light conditions (these photos were taken by Dave 102269 before 8:00 a.m. today).

Love this plane, its performance and the visibility of these graphics. All money well-spent.

Thanks Chris and the EF team!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:40 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
Starting to get this plane dialed in. Currently have a blend of Hitec 7245's on the tail and Hyperion DH16FMD servos on the wings. Pretty happy overall- the plane flies like a dream. This scheme is very easy to tell perspective - even in low light conditions (these photos were taken by Dave 102269 before 8:00 a.m. today).

Love this plane, its performance and the visibility of these graphics. All money well-spent.

So that huge "Extreme Flight" signage on top helps with visibility right?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:50 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,831 Posts
It is easier to tell what the aircraft's aspect is- yes. I have a hard time in KE telling if the wings are purely vertical on the back side of a level circle. This helps me see, because the coloring sticks out and appears 'even' if I'm vertical with the wings. Otherwise, I see more of one wing (letters) or the other. The white "EDGE 540T" helps even more. It all compliments nicely.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Are you a hard core 3D banger? Those servos are ridiculously cheap They also have less torque than the Hitec 5245's that do blow back??

I'm not being inflammatory, just trying to get an idea of what kind af flying your doing so as to put your stated experience into context. All information much appreciated
Both of the planes I use them on are pretty much hardcore 3D planes and that's the way they are flown. Especially the 47" Sabre, I beat the crap out of that thing without mercy. On the 47" Sabre a typical 6 minute flight would be all hard 3D except for maybe a minute or so of just harriering around. The 51" Sabre X is flown more like my 60" Edge only more leaning toward 3D and high energy aerobatics/3D. I like to do a lot of ke spins, hake, ke, tumbles, snaps, pop tops, and some occasional hovering with small cool down periods of harrier's in between. I'm no pro but I can push a plane pretty hard, I don't baby my stuff. No CJ here.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post

Dude! That looks sick! We gotta do some flying this summer. Maybe we can get a throwdown scheduled sometime this summer at MCRC for us local-ish guys

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Dude! That looks sick! We gotta do some flying this summer. Maybe we can get a throwdown scheduled sometime this summer at MCRC for us local-ish guys

--Tom K.
Thanks Tom. I'm trying to get out that way later this month. Been trying to fly with Austin for about 5 weeks, but timing or wx has killed it every time. We do need to get together- you'll love this setup and the looks.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,007 Posts
Although I really like my edge with NO stickers at all, I sure can see how those graphics could help with orientation. My eyes are getting old....
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,831 Posts
I think the red/blue/white is easier to track without decals. The Blue / Yellow in certain light becomes hard to discern orientation occasionally. This really narrows those times down substantially. I usually prefer no decals, and I made an exception for this scheme- but I really like it.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
I personally like the NASCAR look... lots of decals... as long as they look good. FlipFlopGraphics does good work too, mainly custom stuff. If you have a picture and a size in mind, she'll get you a quote and get them sent out to you. She made all my Savox and FlipFlop vinyl decals and they go on easy and look awesome!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:34 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Had perfect weather at the field today so I decided to try the Edge without the SFGs. I like it better! It felt somehow more nimble, certainly tumblier, and the outline of the plane looks so much cooler. KEs are just as easy with them off or on, I saw no big difference there. I'm flying with the SFG's off from now on.

Anyone else doing this?
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:14 AM
72" of flying, flying, flying
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
2,109 Posts
I never bothered putting the SFG's on mine as I fly mostly pattern, though I do love doing KE passes.

I love it just the way it is, fly's great and slows down nicely for landing.
Aussie_Toyman is online now Find More Posts by Aussie_Toyman
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:13 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,007 Posts
I have flown both ways. I Mostly like it without them, but the harriers are definitely less stable. KE is easier with them but it is no big deal without them either. I was gonna cut a pair down to a smaller size and try them that way