Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
My buddy just bought this 540. It came with 4315-668 on 4s 4000 mAh batt. What size APC thin electric prop can he run safely until we can get a watts meter?

Thanks.
Motrofly says 15 x 8 to 16 x 8. Maybe you should stay with 16 x 7 till you get a meter?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:56 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Maybe an esc malfunction such as the bec not working for a few seconds? It sounds like the receiver was functioning through the SPC port since the voltage reading was ok, unfortunately this only powers the receiver and not the servo's. Maybe a bad connection with the esc, or the batt connection. Possibly a bad solder joint or some corrosion in the esc connection.
I did not have the spc hooked up. When the plane was on the ground and I turned the motor off I looked at the Voltage and it read 85% on TX and 6.1 volts on RX. But that was after the crash. I did not have the calm state of mind to remember to check what the recorded low for the RX had been. It MAY have dipped but I don't know?

Is 6.1 Ideal voltage for the RX?

The Airboss is pretty close to brand new. It has only been used for dozens, not hundreds of flights. It is in very good shape Physically. I have had no problems with this lipo or the connections.....
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:15 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1509320
Yup. Here's one, off a quick search.
They all are fragile electronics, made and programmed by humans, and subject to fail.
Here's another one. None are immune.
I guess that's about right.

Just don't hear much about brown outs or signal losses. Of course if the electronics pack it in then that is just bad luck with any Tx.

I shouldn't say this (its probably bad luck) but my 8fg has been faultless so far. As have the cheap Orange Rx from hobbyking I use in most of my planes. No need to use satellite Rx as far as I can tell, never hear people with 8fg talk about satellite set ups.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:40 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
I did not have the spc hooked up. When the plane was on the ground and I turned the motor off I looked at the Voltage and it read 85% on TX and 6.1 volts on RX. But that was after the crash. I did not have the calm state of mind to remember to check what the recorded low for the RX had been. It MAY have dipped but I don't know?

The Airboss is pretty close to brand new. It has only been used for dozens, not hundreds of flights. It is in very good shape Physically. I have had no problems with this lipo or the connections.....
There is your problem, always, always, always use the SPC port. It's that simple. Most likely the bec for whatever reason overloaded and the voltage dropped too low and the receiver browned out. That's why the SPC port is so important, as long as you use that this won't happen unless your main batt goes completely dead such as dropping a bunch of cells due to an internal failure. When I first got my A9 I didn't use this feature and the same thing happened to me and it cost me a plane, since using the SPC port I've flown well over a couple thousand flights with absolutely no issues.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:22 AM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Futaba guys are very quiet.

I've only seen one Futaba-guided plane fly away into the wild blue yonder while the pilot threw the sticks around praying for some miracle, and that was two years ago. With that said, we have a brand new 8 channel Futaba and never use it.

I have 2 8FG radios and have not had any issues with them. We have allot of guys flying with the 8FG and no issues. I used to fly Spektrum and lost several planes due to a very similar issues as what Dead was describing. Since switching I haven't had any issues with RX -> Tx communication. I wonder if dead was using an external BEC. I lost an ESC on my 48" and all control was lost. Since this I always use a separate power source even on a 48" for RX and servos.
mbritt is offline Find More Posts by mbritt
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:25 AM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
762 Posts
Quote:
Thx for repl AP. Should I send the TX and RX in for service? Or is this just a glitch that should not be repeated?
I would send in at least the RX and probably do some tests on a foamy or a plane you dont care about until you are sure its not the TX. I ended up buying 2 8FGs just in case I had to send one in at any time. I keep all the information on them synced up with an SD when I make changes. This way Im never grounded
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:28 AM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
762 Posts
Quote:

I normally run my RX voltage as 6.2 - 6.3 depending on what servos Im using. The RX can take more but sometimes the servos get jittery when you go over 6v. Did you have an external BEC wired up?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:49 AM
Space guzzler...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
HELLO!! Nice touch with the checkerboard on the wingtips. I like that.... and finishing off the inside of the SFG with the checkboard may look nicer still. I may need a blue one after all, considering the possible decal options. Those are nice graphics too.
Hey mate!

Funny you say that - I've even got the checkerboard ready to go on the SFGs! I've added a couple more...think that's next for sure.

The holographic vinyl on the outside of the SFGs look awesome when in the air! And i think the wings look way better than stock standard...

Awesome plane... so much power on tap and tracks really well for a 3D monster.

Tim
liftytim is offline Find More Posts by liftytim
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:52 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
There is your problem, always, always, always use the SPC port.
Hmmmm, Now you tell me [/QUOTE]Most likely the bec for whatever reason overloaded and the voltage dropped too low and the receiver browned out.[/QUOTE]

But WHY did the BEC overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbritt View Post
I wonder if dead was using an external BEC. .
No I was not. I was running the standard Airboss ESC/BEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbritt View Post
I would send in at least the RX and probably do some tests on a foamy or a plane you dont care about until you are sure its not the TX.
I will call Hitec today and get their 2 cents....
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:10 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Mystery SOLVED!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=21227

Please take a look to save yourself from the same fate!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:39 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,165 Posts
Quote:
Mystery SOLVED!

Don't overlook the importance of the SPC port too.
But yeah, I hate Deans connectors for that reason. I got rid of all mine a while back. had several planes that I could make lose connection on the ground by wiggling things. I had a lot of problems with all of the knockoff Deans not playing nicely with the real Deans. So I switched. EC5 on bigger things, and XT60 on smaller. Never a problem since.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:05 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Mystery SOLVED!

I lost my 58" 3DHS Extra 330SC the same way. Fault ESC-Battery solder (my own fault).
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:03 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
I have had the same issue before. With a Deans and another time with a loose Powerpole.
Glad you ran down the problem and didn't trash the radio.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Last edited by _OZ_; Jun 05, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:46 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Don't overlook the importance of the SPC port too.
Yes, that WILL be installed. If it had been installed the result MAY have been different. That is, the reboot time MAY have been less thereby giving me more time to recover.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:21 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that WILL be installed. If it had been installed the result MAY have been different. That is, the reboot time MAY have been less thereby giving me more time to recover.
Good man, use of the SPC port is an absolute must. No deviation. It's funny about the problems people have with the Deans connectors. The only ones I have ever had any problems with in almost twenty years of using them are the clones. As long as you have both male and female hooked together when soldering to keep the lugs aligned, do a good job soldering with a powerful hot iron(minimum 45 watt) I use an 80 watt iron, and use genuine Deans plugs I have never had a single failure. And I routinely push over 80 amps through them all the time on some setups. That being said, I have been thinking of converting over to the same connectors that come standard on the GensAce batts, they are very heavy duty and easy to use. But I keep thinking, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy