SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
Planes & Falconry my passions
New York
Joined Mar 2010
157 Posts
Question!!!!!
Do you guys seal the hinge gaps with hinge tape or other material?
Have you flown with and without doing it? does it really make any difference? I read that if you do it, it will have better lift when fling slowly.

Thank you!!
Feliperc is offline Find More Posts by Feliperc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliperc View Post
Question!!!!!
Have you flown with and without doing it? does it really make any difference? I read that if you do it, it will have better lift when fling slowly.

Thank you!!
I use hing tape. I've tried clear film...but it's a pain in the backside to get on right with an iron.

As for "does it make a difference"? I really have no idea. I'm fairly new to 3D, and I've flown both ways...and I can't tell the difference...but then, I'm half out of control most of the time anyway! I do it because everyone says to (I'm a lemming)...I pay my taxes too...because everyone tells me too.
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old May 02, 2012, 04:04 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efether View Post
I use hing tape. I've tried clear film...but it's a pain in the backside to get on right with an iron.

As for "does it make a difference"? I really have no idea. I'm fairly new to 3D, and I've flown both ways...and I can't tell the difference...but then, I'm half out of control most of the time anyway! I do it because everyone says to (I'm a lemming)...I pay my taxes too...because everyone tells me too.
3M makes Blenderm and it works great and is easy to apply. It is nearly invisible after it is first applied, but the edges pick up dirt and eventually the clear tape has a black dirt outline. On the other hand, using Ultracote or Monokote takes some time and patients but once you get it right, it looks great and lasts a long time. Neither will affect the control surface throw if applied correctly.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
It's zero after both deans connectors terminals are connected. There is a period of time when it is not zero while the positive lead is connected, but not the negative (other than the resistor). Basically, once the circuit is connected then the flow of electrons will follow the least path of resistance, and the least path of resistance is not through the resistor. Which is pretty much exactly what you just said.
I unplug the resistor after the major connection is made.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 02, 2012, 05:43 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Question!!!!!

Thank you!!
I seal mine with matching ultracote or clear monokote. Does it make a difference, well that depends on how good or bad your hinge gap is. A small gap will be fine if not sealed, meaning less than 3/32".....JMHO though.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old May 02, 2012, 05:53 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Question!!!!!

Thank you!!
I seal the aileron gaps with blenderm tape. It's very easy to do and it's invisible. It makes a difference with moves where your wing lift can "leak" through the aileron gap, i.e. elevators and harriers. I get a little less wing rocking when the these gaps are sealed. Makes no difference I can see in any other maneuver though.

I have a question of my own: I think I put too much CA in my elevator hinges and they are a little stiff. What do you guys recommend to soften them up a little bit? I've used CA debonder on them but it doesn't do much.
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Old May 02, 2012, 06:02 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,050 Posts
Work the elevator with your hands numerous times, flexing it to its limits. I would NOT use debonder as you may loosen the original bond.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old May 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
471 Posts
I use Blenderm to seal my hinges but run it through water first to make it easier to apply.

TMSN
A lot of times use alone will free them up after awhile.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old May 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Question!!!!!

Thank you!!
i do it for aesthetic reasons....with oracover in the matched color.
blendern tape works the same, but its pretty ugly.

as for flying...at full deflection there is basicly no gap anyway (or at the time the air had found its way through there, you normaly have changed direction by then.)
the brain tells you to seal...experience says it flies at least as good without
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old May 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I used 5.5mm CC bullets on my 8S setup and now 6.5mm CC bullets on my 10S and 12S builds because the 10 and 8 AWG wires, and the 125-140 Amps is just over my limit for other connectors. For the 5.5mm, there's a cool little part that Jeti makes, but I like the way the snap and spark wakes me up!

And yeah, I always use 100A ESC's for 8S where there is a potential for 70-80 Amps as long as I'm not sacrificing weight. Adding the extra headroom always seems to eliminate some heat and flying in the Florida summers means running a cool electric setup or suffer the consequences.
I thought about 5.5mm bullets this time too. I also saw the Jeti anti spark bullet- pretty slick, but I wanted to try a DYI, so went with the resistor idea. I used deans simply because all my batts ans esc's are deans. I could have gone with the Jeti anti spark and 5.5 mm bullets, but simply chose another direction.

I know deans are rated at 60A, but thought with this setup, I would be pretty close to that. I will have to go with bullets if I move the ESC to a larger airframe....

I disconnect the resistor after I have the serial connector plugged into the ESC- to remove any add'l resistance. But if I read correctly, there does not appear to be a reason to do so- is that correct?
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old May 02, 2012, 09:03 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
I know Ive told this story before....blenderm has saved my plane. I seal all my hinges with the stuff. One day I noticed the plane felt a little weird...it still flew, but something wasnt right. I landed and found that all of my elevator hinges were broke. Only thing holding it was the blenderm. I have no idea how long it had been that way.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old May 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Blend derm good stuff!! Is what i seal my hinges with also when i seal em
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
I know Ive told this story before....blenderm has saved my plane. I seal all my hinges with the stuff. One day I noticed the plane felt a little weird...it still flew, but something wasnt right. I landed and found that all of my elevator hinges were broke. Only thing holding it was the blenderm. I have no idea how long it had been that way.
Did you have the Blenderm on both sides or just one?
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old May 02, 2012, 11:10 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,912 Posts
Just one side...
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old May 02, 2012, 11:40 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
i do it for aesthetic reasons....with oracover in the matched color.
blendern tape works the same, but its pretty ugly.

as for flying...at full deflection there is basicly no gap anyway (or at the time the air had found its way through there, you normaly have changed direction by then.)
the brain tells you to seal...experience says it flies at least as good without
LL, it has been covered many times that the sealing of gaps has nothing to do with the slow 3D flying full deflection surface but a lot to do with air passing through the gap effecting the transitions and pressures on both sides of the control surfaces that are critical.

In a lot of cases its very hard to notice anything, try the MXS with 4s sealed and unsealed, I am sure you will feel the difference in the accuracy of the control surface.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger