HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:34 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,297 Posts
SOLD!

Anybody in here interested in an Airboss Elite 80 amp ESC?
Works fine, I pulled it from my Edge and replaced with a Castle ice 75 ESC instead. I just like the programmability and ability to run 6.2v BEC power to the servos.

Anyways figured somebody in here might like it, if not it goes up on the RCG classified section!

$50 shipped takes it.
Also I have 3.5mm bullets I can resolder on if you like them. I generally directly solder to the motor, so I removed them. But I will happily re-attach them if you so desire.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Last edited by ryan_m; Aug 08, 2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: sold!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:18 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,701 Posts
PM'd
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:02 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
PM'd
Steve
Nice catch!! I just traded a ice light75 to NSG for a airboss.. I like that the air boss has more bottom end pull.. Both of my airboss 80's have 6v BEC's? I can see it on my A9 telemetry..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:12 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
i though the airbosses had 6v becs too.at least the newer ones did.that one could be older version? dunno.ive had good luck out of the airbosses Ive used.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:34 PM
USA, NE, Waverly
Joined Feb 2011
287 Posts
If the airboss isn't already sold, I take it.
PM me your PP info.
N_O_V8_R is offline Find More Posts by N_O_V8_R
Last edited by N_O_V8_R; Aug 08, 2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:45 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Looks like my 60 is going to sit for a while, motor threw a magnet. Sent it back to Ken at Motrolfly and he'll have it ready and back in short order. Always great service from Ken. I guess some of my other planes will be getting some attention for a while, I'm thinking of ordering a backup motor and esc. so I don't miss any flying time, then when the 60" Extra's are here I'll be able to use it in there.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:17 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Looks like my 60 is going to sit for a while, motor threw a magnet. Sent it back to Ken at Motrolfly and he'll have it ready and back in short order. Always great service from Ken. I guess some of my other planes will be getting some attention for a while, I'm thinking of ordering a backup motor and esc. so I don't miss any flying time, then when the 60" Extra's are here I'll be able to use it in there.
I just spoke with a very reputable Motor rep.. He noted that the reason Most motors throw magnets is due to excessive RPM.. After finding this out, Ive adjusted my throttle curve(Hitec A9), so that it doesn't let my RPM's rev to High(removed 10%).. Because of this I was able to add some pitch to my prop, and target, mid range power.. Now when I do KE spins, there just as aggressive, but I don't need to wind up the RPM's as much.. Works Great!!!

If you noticed in my last 60" video, the pull out is Blistering!!!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:34 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
I just spoke with a very reputable Motor rep.. He noted that the reason Most motors throw magnets is due to excessive RPM.. After finding this out, Ive adjusted my throttle curve(Hitec A9), so that it doesn't let my RPM's rev to High(removed 10%).. Because of this I was able to add some pitch to my prop, and target, mid range power.. Now when I do KE spins, there just as aggressive, but I don't need to wind up the RPM's as much.. Works Great!!!

If you noticed in my last 60" video, the pull out is Blistering!!!
I have learned that on ke spins you really don't need to go over half throttle to get a good spin, really anything over half throttle just makes it sound more wicked and overstresses the motor. It's realy no big deal, the funny thing is the magnet let go when I was doing a hake. How did you remove the 10% throttle on your A9, just dialing down the dual rate? I also use an A9 and might give this a try. I have no way of testing the rpm's for overrevving but the motor is safely rated for my setup so it shouldn't be overreving.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:42 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
I have learned that on ke spins you really don't need to go over half throttle to get a good spin, really anything over half throttle just makes it sound more wicked and overstresses the motor. It's realy no big deal, the funny thing is the magnet let go when I was doing a hake. How did you remove the 10% throttle on your A9, just dialing down the dual rate? I also use an A9 and might give this a try. I have no way of testing the rpm's for overrevving but the motor is safely rated for my setup so it shouldn't be overreving.
My point about KE spins, is the fact that its very easy to over spin the motor when there is no load on it..Even on recommended setup, They still rev to high.that's why everyone is throwing magnets(all manufactures).

Its not the end points.. Leave the end points the same, but setup your throttle curve(In a straight line) so it maxes out at 90%
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:49 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Quote:
My point about KE spins, is the fact that its very easy to over spin the motor when there is no load on it..Even on recommended setup, They still rev to high.that's why everyone is throwing magnets(all manufactures).

Its not the end points.. Leave the end points the same, but setup your throttle curve(In a straight line) so it maxes out at 90%
I see what you are saying, even if the stick isn't on full throttle it can still overrev because of no load. But then by limiting the throttle curve this will prevent that. At least I think this is what you mean.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:07 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
I see what you are saying, even if the stick isn't on full throttle it can still overrev because of no load. But then by limiting the throttle curve this will prevent that. At least I think this is what you mean.
Hep! Give it a go.. Ill post some picks of my throttle curve tonight.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:13 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Hep! Give it a go.. Ill post some picks of my throttle curve tonight.
Thanks Tim, ya learn something new every day. If your paying attention that is.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:05 PM
USA, NE, Waverly
Joined Feb 2011
287 Posts
Sounds interesting, but I think I would have to be in Heli-Mode to do that with my DX7.
Doesn't the ESC establish new endpoints everytime it boots-up. Have you checked your set-up with a tach to see if it actually working?

Personally, I would hate to give up 10%. Wouldn't an ESC with a rev limiter, like they use in the heli's, be a better compromise. (Except for the additional money, of course!)

Murphy's law states that MORE is better, especially on that rare occurance where you could have used 91% to prevent that crash, but always wondering.....was I just few % short of success.
N_O_V8_R is offline Find More Posts by N_O_V8_R
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:50 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
It works great.. I put it on a switch first, and then when I'm happy with the power. I disable the switch, and fix it on the lower graph.

The A9 has a slew of cool programing features.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:59 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Tim, would it be worth mentioning your power system setup here? would you want to use that curve on a torque setup as well?

just curious.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg