HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:15 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
Yeah this thing literally floats like a foamy, and you can slow it down to almost nothing. You can elevator into a 3-4 mph wind and almost drop it straight down into a nice landing. It's almost effortless to fly this thing.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:10 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
I luckily managed to get through 3 packs without any incident, and managed to avoid a serious problem on the 4th pack. The plane didn't seem to exhibit any weirdness when flying and after putting in the 4th battery and doing the preflight check I noticed something with the elevator. Upon closer inspection I noticed two hinges were pulled out and three more were broken, it was only hanging on by the left outboard hinge. The only thing I can figure is after the last landing I must have snagged a weed or a tough piece of grass or something with the balancing tab and pulled it loose, I'm thinking that three of the hinges may have already been broken and when it snagged whatever it tore the other two loose. At least no harm resulted from it, I went ahead and dug all six out and replaced them with Dubro hinges. When I replaced the fuse I used Dubro hinges in the rudder since I had to put them in new anyway so now the tail feathers should be good to go.
Last edited by jetinteriorguy; Jul 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: speling
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,948 Posts
I also tried to fly it without the sfg's, after about four minutes I landed and put them on. I definitely much prefer them on than off, to me it really made a huge difference in the flight characteristics and I didn't care for it with them off. Not that it didn't fly ok without them, but to me it's just so much better with them.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I also tried to fly it without the sfg's, after about four minutes I landed and put them on. I definitely much prefer them on than off, to me it really made a huge difference in the flight characteristics and I didn't care for it with them off. Not that it didn't fly ok without them, but to me it's just so much better with them.
Totally agree...the plane came alive for me when I put them on. I tried first few flights without them and wanted more. Lucky you caught those hinges...
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:05 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Great batteries for the Edge.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480083
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:19 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
Cant go wrong!!! ITS MY BEST PLANE!!!

What power?
Torque 4016/Airboss, 6s setup, Xoar 15x7 prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
What is your flying weight with the 6s-3600 pack?
Not Tim, and not 6s3600's, but with a 6s 2600 (Hyperion VX 35c) my all up weight was 5lb 7oz.
With 6s2600 packs power was great, plane is light, floaty, and getting 7 minute flights putting 2000 back in. I use the same packs in my Protos 500 heli, and 59" Slick, so I wanted to use them here too. Smaller than recommended, but I'm good with 7 minute flight times. Motor was coming down nice and cool too.

I did have a problem with the motor stuttering badly though. I either have to jam the power to about half stick instantly, or hand spin the prop prior to throttling up. Otherwise up until about 1/4 stick it just stutters and won't spin. Had to setup an idle up on it too so I didn't have this problem in flight.
So I expect I'll take off the motor/esc bullets and directly solder, and maybe download some instructions and reset the esc to defaults. I got the plane from another rcg member. Brand new, but not NIB. So I have no idea what settings were put into the ESC...

Other than that plane flew great. MUCH better than the old 48" Extra EXP I had. I didn't like that plane at all. This one is nice however. I really like it. Plane came with some Airtronics digital servos, not so much a fan of those, bit slow. Probably replace with 5245's or 225MG's. Maybe MKS 9660's...
I definitely like it better than the 59" Slick from 3dhs.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:23 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I definitely like it better than the 59" Slick from 3dhs.
In general or anything specificly ? How does the rolling harrier compare to the Slick 59" or SC 57" ?

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:48 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,208 Posts
ahh you seem to think I can *do* rolling harriers! Rolling circles maybe, but not rolling harriers. And even the rolling circles I only do with one input, either elevator or rudder, but if I try combining them my brain quits. So I'm definitely not one to talk on that.
As for plusses over the 59" Slick, well pitch authority for one, waterfalls tighter, spins tighter, harriers easier, knife edge cleaner/easier. It just suits my style of flying, low, slow stuff with lots of bail out power/control authority for when you screw something up!

But now if I had to compare it against a 51" Slick... well I just love a 51, and that would be hard. I like the size of the 60, but the flying traits of the 51. The 51 is probably my all time favorite plane though, with the 70" Slick being a very close second. Need more time on the 60" Edge, it will wind up ranking in the top three somewhere once I get better acquainted with it I think!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:04 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
I'm happy! Thought I was losing the bearings on my 60" because I had too much end-play in the prop shaft. Upon further inspection I found that the philips screws holding the X mount on were loose. I guess I forgot to threadlock those. Ooops.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:20 PM
Do or die....
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Österåker
Joined Jun 2011
65 Posts
Did 10packs today, im not an sharp 3D pilot...yet, but heck its an great plane this little monster of tumbles
Trigger happy is offline Find More Posts by Trigger happy
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:30 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
I'm happy if I can do 10'packs and still have a functional plane afterwards lol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:12 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
756 Posts
Just got mine today and started the build. What a beautiful plane. Can't wait to get her in the air.
jakeg1999 is online now Find More Posts by jakeg1999
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:16 AM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
756 Posts
Done! Can't wait to try her out!
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:28 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg1999 View Post
Done! Can't wait to try her out!
Jake you are a building beast.. No maiden. You should of gotten the Mrs to use a spotlight.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 08:07 AM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
756 Posts
Ha, I would have, but for some reason she felt sleep was more important. Go figure!