to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:10 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
Hurc,

Just got back from flying the 60", what a great plane!! left the SFG's off and it flew perfect! I also mastered a few moves from your video! The wall to elevator, to roller is sweet!! I've got the wall to elevator part down..

The 60" just floats like it's full of helium, I'm defiantly getting video in the am before work..
What would you say the differences are with versus without the sfg's? I havn't tried mine without since it just flies so nice with them, but sometimes it's just a pain to put them on and take them off so I'm tempted to try it without.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:21 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
What would you say the differences are with versus without the sfg's? I havn't tried mine without since it just flies so nice with them, but sometimes it's just a pain to put them on and take them off so I'm tempted to try it without.
Its funny that you say that, because i was chasing day, late so I left them off.. If theres no wind like last night, imo there not needed. They help to stabilize your wing rock in the wind.. I was doing allot of inverted elevators, walls and ke's the plane was ROCK SOLID! Try it and let me know what you think.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Jul 29, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:03 AM
NYC
Joined Nov 2006
169 Posts
current flow - how to do that?

I have read that a target for the stock motor an ESC is 60 amps at 1200 watts

would this be true for any motor? I am using a scorpion 4010-12, a 4000 mah 6S lip0. the 4020-12 specs are not the same as the motor extreme flight has in the combo

Motor Kv 542 RPM / Volt
No-Load Current (Io) @ 10 v 1.32 Amps
Motor Resistance (Rm) 0.020 Ohms
Max Continuous Current 85 Amps
Max Continuous Power 1850 Watts

i am a newby to electric power for airplanes

coming via fedex today is an Astroflight 101D Super wattmeter. I have never set up an electric plane before. I am used to setting up electric RC helicopters, but not planes.

is there a good tutorial on how to go about finding the correct prop for this airplane?

A friend of mine uses this motor on this plane and is using a 15x8 prop and 6S, but never used a watt meter. He just changed props until he got the RPM he was looking for. I intend to check this out, so have 15x6, 15x7 and 15x8 props ready for testing.

can someone point me to a resource for learning how to do this, or describe it here on the forum?

thanks in advance for the help
jbpence is offline Find More Posts by jbpence
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:46 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Tricky question.
Basically, motors of a similar weight, with similar KV will perform similarly. Your motor is not far off of mine (Hacker A40-10L, and another plane with the Torque 4014). Both of those are ~10oz motors with 500kv winds on them. They work very well with a 15x7 prop to generate about 1200 watts on 6s.
Your motor has a higher kv, 542, and so it will turn a bit more RPM. So in theory, you will want to prop down just a bit if you want to stay at about 1200 watts since your motor will be trying to spin an extra 42 rpm per volt or 42*22=924 rpm faster than what most of us are using. So I would start with a 15x6 just on a guess. 15x7 would likely have you in the 1500 watt range.

But, since you have a meter coming, use that and test 'em all out. I assume you know how to use one of those? Connecting it up and all? Pretty easy...
anyways just bolt up your various props and run the motor for 10-20 seconds on each to get a reading on your meter. Choose the prop that makes the power you are looking for. RPM is much less important, you mentioned your friend changing props until he got a specific rpm. I've never done that on an electric setup. Just measure watts, and flown it.
Then, once you select a prop to try in the air, fly it. Land and check your motor temps. that is the key thing really. If the motor is under 120 degrees at the hottest part (usually the back, near the x-mount) you are good and can prop up if you want. If the motor is hot, like 140+ then I would suggest propping down. Motors will die an early death if run consistently in the 150-160 degree range. Heat is the main thing you are watching out for in a motor.
So try different props on a wattmeter to make sure they run in the watts/amps you were expecting and your system can handle, and then fly it. Some props will feel better and you might wind up liking say a 14x7 more than a 15x6. Both will pull nearly the same current/watts but feel different in the air.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:13 AM
NYC
Joined Nov 2006
169 Posts
thank you for the well thought out and clearly written response. I am ready to go once the meter arrives - today according to the fedex web site

the pilot in the lug I am that got me into the 540t crashed his 540t a week ago, he had experienced an unexpected loss of power, but not a dead motor, and could not make it to the landing strip. Amazing that only the carbon fiber wing tube was damaged - cracked

As he approached the pits carrying the slightly damaged plane, he told me he thought he had used a battery that only had a partial charge.

Mind you this guy is a serious pilot and a very nice fellow. He competes with this plane.

I am pretty much a serious techie, and am very methodical about how to go about setting things up and, and I thought about how he had selected his prop and thought to myself, gee its 97 degrees out. I have seen helicopter ESC brown out udder such temperatures, even when everything is set up well. I wondered if his ESC was overheated? Then I remembered how he had selected his prop.

when he got the plane back to the pit area, the battery was fine. had lots of charge.

Mind you I am not suggesting that I can diagnose what happened in his case, but the event was instrumental in that it really got me thinking that I did not want something like this to EVER happen to a plane of mine..

I had already ordered my 540T and had read most of the posts on this forum and I said to myself, gee, I better order a watt meter and prop my plane according to the technical requirements - its pretty hot out here, and thats when things can go bad.

thanks again for this post. Its pretty much what I had expected, but your writing this up gives me the confidence to proceed. I really wanted to make sure what i was looking for and how do it rather than just jump in.
jbpence is offline Find More Posts by jbpence
Last edited by jbpence; Jul 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Its funny that you say that, because i was chasing day, late so I left them off.. If theres no wind like last night, imo there not needed. They help to stabilize your wing rock in the wind.. I was doing allot of inverted elevators, walls and ke's the plane was ROCK SOLID! Try it and let me know what you think.
I havn't done much flying in the last couple of weeks so I warned the wife this weekend if the weather is good I'm getting caught up on my flying time. Think I'll give it a whirl without the sfg's just for the fun of it. You know it used to be I hated the looks of a plane with sfg's on it. Then I started flying them and now I just love it and hardly ever fly one without them. One thing I have noticed between my planes with them versus without them is the way the plane reacts to rudder inputs. It seems like with the sfg's you have less rudder coupling, but it also seems like the rudder authority is different, not necessarily less rudder authority, just more stable and predictable. Well, unless the wind is howling tomorrow I'll find out.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:44 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,293 Posts
Well, even though I just ordered a new airframe because of my crash last Sunday, I thought I would attempt to repair the motorbox/fuse damage. The motorbox and fuse now appear to be solid after repair. However, I noticed the top and bottom left of the motorbox is a little higher than the top and bottom right. Is this part of the original design? If not, how will this impact the flying of the airplane. See photos below.
racin06 is online now Find More Posts by racin06
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:45 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
Well, even though I just ordered a new airframe because of my crash last Sunday, I thought I would attempt to repair the motorbox/fuse damage. The motorbox and fuse now appear to be solid after repair. However, I noticed the top and bottom left of the motorbox is a little higher than the top and bottom right. Is this part of the original design? If not, how will this impact the flying of the airplane. See photos below.
It appears you have a slight twist in the motorbox. I would tend to think it would only affect the thrust angle of the motor, if at all. You could easily counteract this with washers as spacers if necessary. You will also probably have to change the mounting position of the cowl so the motor is centered in the cowl opening. As far as how this affects the flight characteristics, only time and a few flights will tell that.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:49 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Just got 60" Edge today (used from another rcg member), maiden of the plane tomorrow. Excited to see how this flies!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:59 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Just got 60" Edge today (used from another rcg member), maiden of the plane tomorrow. Excited to see how this flies!
Cant go wrong!!! ITS MY BEST PLANE!!!

What power?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:09 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Cant go wrong!!! ITS MY BEST PLANE!!!

What power?
How does it 3D comparing to the SC 57"? Just curious since I have several sets of 6s-3800
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:24 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
How does it 3D comparing to the SC 57"? Just curious since I have several sets of 6s-3800
I run 6s 3600 also and its perfect! Its so floaty that it prefers the heavier packs..

I've never flown a SC, but from watching both planes, I can tell you that the Edge seems like a floater plane..with a much larger feel!! Plus The EF edge is a beefier plane.. The 330sc is based on a A40 motor platform, and the 60" Line of EXP's, use a50 size torque..
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:34 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
I run 6s 3600 also and its perfect! Its so floaty that it prefers the heavier packs..

I've never flown a SC, but from watching both planes, I can tell you that the Edge seems like a floater plane..with a much larger feel!! Plus The EF edge is a beefier plane.. The 330sc is based on a A40 motor platform, and the 60" Line of EXP's, use a50 size torque..
What is your flying weight with the 6s-3600 pack?
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
What is your flying weight with the 6s-3600 pack?
Don't know? But it does a inverted elevator like it's in slow motion! When I was running 5s packs it poped out of every wall, and floated around like a foamy! I went 6s and the weight helped it to stay grounded! Now it settles in to the move nicely.. this plane can Handel much more weight than it's rated for.. I know one guy that runs 6s 5000! It flys perfect!

Both of my 60" edge models are in full trim with x series pilots, and they have to be under 5.5lbs with a 6s 3600.