SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,757 Posts
Discussion
New H-King ESC? (not SS)

Just got an email from HobbyKing advertising their H-King line of ESC that now uses Fairchild FET. I'm not talking about their SuperSimple line of ESCs. I have a few of their SuperSimple when it came out in early 2009 and they are all bad, IMO. Their 20A didn't work very well at all with 2S and doesn't seem to give as much power with 3S. Some speculated that the FET is sucking up too much voltage, thus 2S goes into LVC in a few seconds. They also got very hot compared to Turnigy/HobbyWing/etc...

In any case, just wondering if anyone has tried this new line with the Fairchild FET? Here are link to a few of the sizes I'm talking about. Their 35A and 50A comes with 3mm bullet and XT60 already soldered...nice.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...dProduct=14871
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...dproduct=14872
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:24 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Looks pretty nice....im interested
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,983 Posts
hobby king has more than a few directly competing ESC's. (same price)
IMO buy ones with at least some history and reviews.
I can see NO reason to buy these over the other existing offerings.
Unless you feel like gambling :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
i ordered a few up to 50 amps.. will post results
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:29 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,757 Posts
gotboosted,
Thanks for being the guinea pig. Please keep us posted.

Bare,
I fully trust HobbyWing/Turnigy/Volcano/whatever other names they come in. I keep some as spares for future planes even. However, they are not always in stock so I'm always looking for other acceptable ESCs that I can sub in their place. Every decent brand item has to start somewhere to build their reputation.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:00 PM
BOTHELL,WA. NORTHEAST OF SEATTLE
Joined Jun 2005
286 Posts
Well, I came here after the fact! I just ordered the 50 amp for a replacement to my stock e-flite 40 amp that seems to have corroded after sitting for awhile after a dunking moths ago. Will see if it will work with the power 25 stock motor.
faststick is offline Find More Posts by faststick
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:07 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faststick View Post
Well, I came here after the fact! I just ordered the 50 amp for a replacement to my stock e-flite 40 amp that seems to have corroded after sitting for awhile after a dunking moths ago. Will see if it will work with the power 25 stock motor.
Another tester!!! Please let us know how it works. If you have a 2S lipo, can you test run it and see if the rpm is maintained or if it goes to LVC within a few seconds? The HK-SS 18A on 2S would go to LVC within 5 seconds...tell tale signs of bad design. Quite warm temp after 1 minute of motor+prop run on bench was another tell tale sign.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:59 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,745 Posts
How many amps is your motor drawing?? If drawing to much, the voltage will drop far enough to make the LVC cut in.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:05 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,757 Posts
Motor is rated for 18A. I prop it down usually for longer scale flying so probably 12A set up with 3S. Problem surfaces when I run it on 2S which would take the max amps down even more. It runs fine on Turnigy ESC but not SS. It was explained by someone in another thread that the ESC uses too much voltage and does not have much left for motor, thus LVC kicks in quickly. Probably why that SS ESC also heats up much more easily.

The SS 8A ESC that I use in smaller planes makes motor jitters some times at throttle up. One of them on my P-40, started acting up after 15 flights or so as in shutting throttle mid flight. It got so bad that I had 6 shutdowns in a 10 minute flight but it taught me to know how to reset in flight . After 50 flights or so, it died. Changed out to 10A Turnigy and smooth operation, more power, longer flight times. I'm not touching SS again. Hoping this new H-King is better.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:14 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,745 Posts
Just noticed you were talking about the SS. Mine is keeping a drawer warm too.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,237 Posts
I'm wondering if those HK are suppo?
If someone gets them and has a program card try it out. I have one on order but it's with some other back order stuff so I don't expect to see it until Easter.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:44 AM
BOTHELL,WA. NORTHEAST OF SEATTLE
Joined Jun 2005
286 Posts
Well I just got an e-mail from HK and my order's finally on the way, so hopefully be testing shortly, also got 2 of the new orange 2.4 receivers for $7.99 ea. to test also!

George
faststick is offline Find More Posts by faststick
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:50 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,757 Posts
George,
Sounds good.

I have 5 of those ORNG6+2 satellites. Flying 2 of them so far...works great.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:25 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
gotboosted,
Thanks for being the guinea pig. Please keep us posted.
Bare,
I fully trust HobbyWing/Turnigy/Volcano/whatever other names they come in. I keep some as spares for future planes even. However, they are not always in stock so I'm always looking for other acceptable ESCs that I can sub in their place. Every decent brand item has to start somewhere to build their reputation
Good on you.. However I no longer share your unwavering faith... frankly I've 'Been Burned' more than a few times from HK or whatever their name 'o the month is.
So I'm now far less willing to assume this stuff ain't crap... sight unseen.
With experience.. comes wisdom :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:47 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
I'm with you Bare... whenever I need to test or fly something I haul one of my four Castle ESCs (9A TB, 10A/25A/45A Phoenix) out of the drawer, knowing that it will perform as expected! I don't want or need a drawer full of suspect/unacceptable ESCs.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi