HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:15 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
Discussion
Peter Rake/Manzano Laser Works MS A1 Partial Build

Hi , seeing as Peter and Charlie have done a great thread on this plane already, I wont cover the same things they did. I just thought I would post some pics of my version .
The completed airframe and the cowl. Follewed the plans, for the frame but deviated a bit by glassing the cowl. The engine is a replacement part from an E Flite Nieuport........The colour will be the Fantasy of Flight Museum #12
halfastrut is offline Find More Posts by halfastrut
Last edited by halfastrut; Nov 22, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
Painted the rudder, landing gear, and wing. At this point no perminent attachments. I used Rustoleum Painters Touch and Callie Grapics. The roundels and the lettering is from Callie, the rest is paint and the strips are ironed on Worldtex covering. As a matter of fact the entire airframe is covered in World tex.
Last edited by halfastrut; Nov 22, 2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
I built the twin Vickers guns from 0.10 white styrene sheet and tube. The fuse front side panels and top deck are also 0.10 styrene,as are the hatch doors and hinges. Also finnished painting the elevator. I built the "Gun Hump" as an after thought so it nis attached to the front deck rether than being built in.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:12 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
This is the covered airframe before and after paint and graphics The guns and gunsight are installed as well as the wind screen. The hatches and struts are built and the instument pannel is installed. And of course Callies great graphics are applied.
Last edited by halfastrut; Nov 22, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:20 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
This is how it looks now. The electrics are in, I opted for push rods instead of pull pull. I figured the rods are very short .If I paint them the same colour as the part of the fuse they are in front of they should be almost invisable. Just have to install the struts, attach the rigging brackets on the wing and fuse, and rig it. I'll put up the pics when I'm done. I can't decide if I want to weather it or have it just out of the shop. Comments and questions are wellcomed.

Thanks Pat
Last edited by halfastrut; Nov 22, 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:52 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
Nice looking Pat. I am paying attention cause I am going to refurbish mine pretty soon.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:57 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
I picked up one of these during The Great Manzano Laser Clearance Sale, as I find it difficult to resist spiffy parasols.

So many kits/plans crammed into the domicile it's always a struggle to decide which to build next! I'm slowly progressing on the Pete Rake Verville Air Coach, so any other builds come after that...

For the A1, I'm currently leaning toward a Belgian scheme. Good beer.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:01 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
I have really come to like Pete's round fuse structures. They build really fast.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
This was a really good build, I've had more fun building and detailing this than I've had in a long time. Not really that much left to do, but I'll put up some more pics as I go along. I like Peters round fuses as well. I'd love to get this in a little larger size though.
Charlie, yours looks really good, can't need much of a refurb.

Pat
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:21 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
Pat,

You haven't seen it in current condition Covering has holes. Elevator is warped. Skid is missing. Wing covering has some loose seams. LG wire solder joint broken. Just to name a few

And I never rightly detailed it to start with. It needs at least a windshield and pilot.

It flies so nicely I don't want to retire it. And it is a really nice size.

charlie
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:31 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,787 Posts
Pat,
A really nice model, it looks great.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:09 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Ooooooooo, me likes.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:22 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
It would be a shame to retire a great model like your A1 Charlie. Are you going to add the "FIX IT UP" to your original build thread? That would be kind of neat; and I'm sure there would be a lot of intrest.
I have the windsheild frame in, just have to put in the "glass" ,and the pilot is being painted. I'm going to try and install the struts this wk ....I hope
And thank you Peter and Mike for the compliments.

Pat
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:49 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
Pat,

Yeah, will probably add it to the original thread. It might just be the perfect chance to try polyspan too.

Not sure if I will keep the simple silver or go for the camo look. I am drawn the silver one tho, just cause I like Nungesser's logo.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:34 PM
Canada, ON, Fergus
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
Acctually, it was really a hard decision not to copie you. I really like his logo as well. I've never used polyspan, don't even know much about it. Is it pre-adhesived, or do you have to use an adhesive treatment and heat .

Pat