HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2003, 03:35 PM
USA
Joined Jun 2003
157 Posts
Mega 16/15/7 with some 8 Cell HE's looking for a home

Well the last plane that I tried to get for this motor and these batt's did not happen so I am looking for another plane in this type of class with lots of wing area, yet airobatic, does not need to be pure 3D, but 3D is ok; to mate up with these items.

I have a Mega 16/15/7 and several 8 cell KAN and HE packs from 950 - 1100's. I don't mind a GB but would rather do a DD setup and I am kind of looking for an ARF due to very small amount of free build time.

Any ideas that will work with these spec's?

Oh and 4 HS-55's and a Berg 6 channel or Berg Mirco Stamp Rx.

Thanks again,
Will
balsa destroyer is offline Find More Posts by balsa destroyer
Last edited by balsa destroyer; Jul 16, 2003 at 03:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:08 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,731 Posts
Will

I've flown a very similar setup in a MiniLaser 3D-Yes, it's a kit, but it builds quite quickly. I lightened mine some, and I'm now flying it on a 2 cell 1020 x 2 old style Kokam li-poly- and it's still a lot of fun. You can have near hover performance if you keep the weight down with your setup- I also flew mine on an 8 cell SR Max 500 pack- tolerated the weight well, but I like it better lighter.

Lots of folks like the Miniflash as well.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:00 PM
San Pedro, CA
Joined Mar 2002
660 Posts
I maidened this exact power system and batteries in a Wattage Giles ARF this past weekend. It had plenty of power and flew fast in the air. It won't have the 3D performance, but flew more like a pattern plane. The prop is an APC 9x6.

I ordered some 3s1P 2100 ThunderPower LiPo's that I will try this weekend if I receive them in time.

Dave
locomoto is offline Find More Posts by locomoto
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:09 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,989 Posts
Rascal.
9X4 APC DD, 8-600ae's
http://www84.pair.com/waw/RC/pics/rascalfull.jpg
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:10 PM
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Feb 2001
415 Posts
I just put one of these in my blue-foamie plane. After trying various gearing and battery combos of GWS300's, I'm quite impressed with this setup. I have 8x max1000's (similar to he1100's) and an APC 9x6E prop. It is annoyingly quiet, but goes straight up for quite a ways even late in the flight.

If you're tired of destroying balsa, you might want to cut up some foam.
Bob Baker is offline Find More Posts by Bob Baker
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:02 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined May 2001
1,794 Posts
One of these http://www.hobby-lobby.com/threedee.htm would go very well on your setup.
Flint is offline Find More Posts by Flint
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:19 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
A Speedy from Hobby Lobby or Benji/Demon from Esprit models would be a good choice.
All are arfs, sp 400 sized, fiberglass fuse / built and film covered rib/spar wings.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Jul 17, 2003, 06:50 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
HOB T-6

http://www.houseofbalsa.com/e/env/00...=products:k-62

6x5 with your 8 cells would work great.
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Jul 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
USA
Joined Jun 2003
157 Posts
Bill,

Funny you should post that plane, I had come across it last night in my search's but was not sure on it. I like it and would want retracts on it in a bad way. Would it need a gear box (GB) or would it be a DD setup?

The other plane that I came across a couple of threads from way back in 2001 on is the Pitts Special 30" version that Tower sells. I want to do some more homework on that one too. It would be a gas to electric conversion, and I would want full house. I just don't know about mounting the Mega into a GB though, and if so, which one, etc., or can it be DD?
Has anybody else done one of these in the more recent past, are there any build threads on this one? I am really thinking that maybe I should do it just so that I can document it from opening the box to video of it doing a wing over into a loop into a cubin 8 or something. Does anybody have any idea on what all would be involved with a project like this one?

Wi ngspan: 30" (762 mm)
        Wi ng Area: 300 sq. in. (19dm2)
        Wi ng Loading: 12.9 oz./sq. ft. (19.5 gr./dm2.)
        We ight: 27 oz. (756 gr.)

Please keep the ideas coming. If I need to do a kit that's fine. It will just take a while longer and I did go ahead and get the 280 version of the other ARF so I at least have that to play with while I build a kit. The other plane that was intresting is the Demon, but I am one, a bit scared of Esprit Models right now, and two 75 MPH in straight and level flight maybe just a bit too quick for the areas that I fly in. Not to mention that it may be a bit to quick for my flying skills. Though that's what makes it so tempting too.

Yes I have other planes, and yes I know how to fly, and fly pretty well. I am just trying to do more with E power so that I can stay closer to home is all.

Thanks again everybody for the ideas, would love to hear and/or see some more.

Will
Old Jul 17, 2003, 08:51 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Switchback, Miniflash, maybe Tantrum, some of the Stevens Aero planes, some of the Aerolock planes etc. etc. etc.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Jul 17, 2003, 09:03 AM
USA
Joined Jun 2003
157 Posts
Matthew,

I have looked at those guys, but I am afraid that between the weight of the batt's and the power of the Mega, etc. that it would rip the nose off of those planes, don't you think?

While I like the looks of some of AeroLock's planes, the Turbo Raven looks real nice, but again, I don't know; I was/am looking for something slightly larger and maybe a bit heavier. I might have to take a look again though.

With the exception of the Turbo Raven the rest seem a bit to 3D'sh for my taste and all the posts that I see are people flying them on Astro's and Razors, no Mega's.

I guess that I am looking for a cross between scale and sport if that makes sense??

What about the Firecat? http://www2.jonction.net/~icare/firecat.htm sells it in a combo, but then I would not need the Mega, it's a bit heavier, but maybe with a GB it would be ok??? Or is that just plain pushing my luck to far with my setup?

Thanks,
Will
Old Jul 17, 2003, 09:12 AM
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Feb 2001
415 Posts
Does the 7-turn D.D. have enough power for a plane the size of an Accord (37"; NESP), or the Flashback (coming soon from Mountain Models)? I think these are both normally flown with geared systems.

I am actually getting tired of the blue foamie plane, and much prefer the looks of a balsa version.
Bob Baker is offline Find More Posts by Bob Baker
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:26 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Will,

I doubt that would be a problem. Doug Binder (MR. Mountain Models) used to fly and SB on a 16/15/7 and most of the Aerolock/Stevens planes have been flown with a Hacker B20 15L which is actually more powerful than the Mega.

Bob,

I don't know about the accord but I suspect youwould want it geared for the FB. A 400 size GB certainly doesn't cost much though you might need a hotter wind for it.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:44 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Will, Here are some threads on the T-6. I think the first one has the steps/info on using GP 1/2A retracts for the HOB T-6. The last link is to my thread on the HOB T-6 I built just before SEFF (9 days start to finish)

BTW - That Pitts is great looking!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=118890
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=111593
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=103293
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=124582

- Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Last edited by Bill Germanson; Jul 17, 2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:54 AM
USA
Joined Jun 2003
157 Posts
Well Bill, I was leaning toward the Pitts, but now... well now I am leaning toward the HOB T-6. So let me get this, you had it at SEFF, but did not fly it there?? Have you flown it now? Are you flying it with a Mega? Also does the battery pack config have to be the two rows four on four like in those pictures on one of those threads or can it be end to end or side by side too? Do you plan to put retracts into yours?

My only thing about the Pitts is that nobody seems to be doing it and it might be fun to kind of go it alone, but that gets scary too...

Oh what to do, what to do...

Thanks again,
Will