SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Discussion
Falcon VI & Falcon VII 3ch IR

So I'm starting a new job tomorrow and we sell some remote control helicopters and cars. I'll just let you know that I'm an RC Airplane guy and don't know very much at all about helicopters yet.
So in the store we have couple different helicopters, what I noticed where the Falcon VI and the new Falcon VII on the shelves. They are IR 3-channel gyro controlled little guys with a metal frame. It looks like it turns by slowing down a counter rotating rotor (or maybe speeding it up?), and it has a tail rotor straight up and down to change pitch. Other than that I don't know a lot about it. My new boss and other employees play with a demo version in the store, and there has been some returns with helicopters that fail to get more than a foot off the ground. It might not be a hobby grade helicopter, but wondering if anyone has some experience with it? For the customers with problems would it be an overheated battery or a gyro not functioning right?

Anyway, I'm going to buy one at work tomorrow and play with it. $39.99 minus my employee discount I can't see to much risk. I think the fact it's IR isn't good for outside, but it should be fun indoors. I'll harass the cats and take some flight inspiration breaks while I build an EDF airframe.

Guess I'll be back with a flight report, my first heli!
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,913 Posts
If you check out the other 3 channel threads you will find answers tot he problems. All 3 channel IR helis are basically the same.

One of the biggest problems is that the batteries are run down until the heli no longer lifts. This ruins the battery and the next time one tries to fly the heli will no longer lift more than a foot off the ground, if at all.

Stop flying as soon as the heli has a problem staying up and recharge the battery.

I see you live in London. not far from here. I do a lot of shopping in London and have relatives and friends there.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:34 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Ah, well if it's a lipo battery that would make sense. Thanks for the answer, I'll pass on the information. Apparently there is no low voltage cut-off then? I guess for $40...

Yeah, live in London, it's a good town. I know Woodstock too, just straight out to the east of here. Any good flying sites for airplanes there?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Ah, well if it's a lipo battery that would make sense. Thanks for the answer, I'll pass on the information. Apparently there is no low voltage cut-off then? I guess for $40...

Yeah, live in London, it's a good town. I know Woodstock too, just straight out to the east of here. Any good flying sites for airplanes there?
There is some spots here and there to fly depending on what you are flying. If it is gas or glo fuel the best thing is to fly it at the RC Flying club. I have never been there, I want to learn to fly the Champ on my own, At the club the requirement is if you have never flown before a member is required to fly the plane first to make sure it is ok. That takes all the fun away for me!

What shop or store do you work at in London? There are not many good hobby shops around here.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:58 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
There is some spots here and there to fly depending on what you are flying. If it is gas or glo fuel the best thing is to fly it at the RC Flying club. I have never been there, I want to learn to fly the Champ on my own, At the club the requirement is if you have never flown before a member is required to fly the plane first to make sure it is ok. That takes all the fun away for me!

What shop or store do you work at in London? There are not many good hobby shops around here.
I'm starting work tonight at Showcase, but it's not so much a Hobby Shop as an everything store.
If you are looking for the great hobby shops in London, I frequent the only two I know of (for RC). The first and close for you AVF, it's on Dundas east beside the Malibu diner. The other is called Amazing Hobbies, it's on Wellington st. South, near Commissioners road. If you're like me you'll feel like a kid in a candy store at those places Well worth the trip, Woodstock is close. Leave your credit cards at home!

http://www.avfrc.com/

http://www.amazinghobbies.com/

Oh, I fly foamy parkfliers, I fly at parks. I'm not to big on the fuss of joining a club at this stage. Electric WWII warbirds/civilian aircraft and just getting into electric ducted fans now. Should have a piece of foam that breaks 80mph in a month or two.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Nov 22, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:16 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
PS. From what I here the Champ is a perfect intro into fixed wing. I learned on a Parkzone Slo-V, also very easy. Just stick to a high wing 3 channel that is a slow flyer and not very expensive for a first plane. This will be a plane that gets banged up but they remarkably easy to put back together. Just keep a low watt hot glue gun, 5 minute epoxy, toothpicks, packing tape and a hobby knife on your workbench (most of which you can get at a dollar store) and you'll be good to get through the learning curve. If you're good with a heli, you probably won't even need that.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:26 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,913 Posts
Showcase, is that at the Masonville mall? Seems I have seen one somewhere on my travels to London. The AVF is across the street from my buddy, he has said something about it but I have not been there yet. I have not been anywhere in London since the first week or so in September and probably will not be able to drive any distance till after January. The one on Wellington at Commisioners I have heard about but have not been there either.

Yes I have been told that the Champ is a good beginner plane. I got it shortly before I went into the hospital but have been unable to try it out due to my knee problems. When spring comes I will be ready.

Click on my name and check out my blog, take a look at my scratch build tug link.

Durk
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:08 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Falcon VII

It flies great! Super easy. The first minute I practiced ascending and descending gently and the second minute I did turns and forward flight. Talk about confidence inspiring.

I had a look today at some damaged returns, the main rotor shaft is loose. People are full throttling them to the ceiling and chopping throttle (or not) and crashing them repeatedly. We warranty these little guys for 3 years but crash damage is not included, but we are giving all the customers new ones or fixing them anyway.
We talked today about doing some flight lessons for customers, it should reduce the return rate which is caused by repeated abuse and provide overall customer satisfaction.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:51 PM
for forever and everlasting
United States, NJ
Joined Mar 2011
18 Posts
Hello, We have spare blades set for the Falcon VII helicopter. We have that particular helicopter as well. Please check our listing below,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blade-Set-Spare-...-/270727775679
Thanks!
44everlasting is offline Find More Posts by 44everlasting