SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2 Posts
New Person here:I have a 9053 and have been studying all of the mods presented and have a few questions for all interested. Can a collective pitch conversion be added in place of the existing lower rotor assembly and be controlled through the tail rotor electronics?. Also has any one tried to replace the lower fixed pitched rotor assembly with a flybar rotor asembly?.
Thanks to all.
magpix4me is offline Find More Posts by magpix4me
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:06 PM
its 9053 not 9035 i kno haha
Joined Dec 2010
112 Posts
does the tape work fine?

im thinking about putting that elec. tape around the blade grips...let me know also when i bought that same balance bar the black one (w/the led light on it)
i flew it and HATED IT! but i heard that u need to put (2) buckle clams on that bar...have u tried to buckles yet?
9035Vol is offline Find More Posts by 9035Vol
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:58 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9035Vol View Post
im thinking about putting that elec. tape around the blade grips...let me know also when i bought that same balance bar the black one (w/the led light on it)
i flew it and HATED IT! but i heard that u need to put (2) buckle clams on that bar...have u tried to buckles yet?
Tape on the grips sorta helped. 2 buckles isn't necessary but adds a measure of redundancy.
theleetbeagle is offline Find More Posts by theleetbeagle
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Increased tail motor load can overheat the drive transistors

Quote:
Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
No I don't see any increased vibration. I did however see smoke coming from the ECB when using the tail rotor. I mean a lot of smoke. Mere moments later I no longer had a working tail rotor, lol. This was after 30 minutes of solid flying, with the tail rotor being operated most of the time.

IDK what happened...maybe the increased resistance from the larger airfoils caused increased heat on the capacitors (?) during use? Either way I've ordered a new ECB.

IDK if I see twice the flight time w the new battery, but its definitely longer. Maybe 20 minutes?
Hi All,
This is my first post. Thought I would contribute to this thread as I have a 9053, and was considering some mods.
I had a look at the ECB and the 4x TO-92 transistors are a NPN/PNP H-bridge to drive the tail motor. Adding larger blades to the tail rotor will make the motor work harder due to increased load. This coupled with longer flight time / use of the rotor, will overheat and probably cause these transistors to die (as others have found).
You could DIY heatsink (as described in a previous post), or replace the transistors with higher power equivalents or FETs. FETs would be better as they would have a lower resistance, and hence provide more power to the motor which may remove the need for larger blades anyway.

JP.
_JP_ is offline Find More Posts by _JP_
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:12 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
I have found a solution to the rear rotor that works great for me. I used the rear rotor off of a even cheaper one I had, the FlyDragonfly No. 2258-15 Part# 2258-15-06.

It's about 2x the original size, fits perfectly but the pitch is reverse so forward is now down.

You also need to turn the stabilizer reverse so the rear rotor does not hit.

Good luck.
lovbyts is offline Find More Posts by lovbyts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:04 PM
"Well it flew yesturday..."
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jan 2011
215 Posts
Extra mods

Hello im new here but i have a 9053 helicopter my girlfriend got me for xmas and i have made some mods to mine to help with the performance. Here is a list of mods i have done and i will provide links at the end.
-Turn bottom blade grip upside down then reattach blades
(This will give you about 3/4 inch more clearance from top blades)
-Remove decorative bars from tail along with horizontal fin leave vertical fin on it helps slow down your spin
(Removes un-needed wieght allowing faster forward response and yes you will still be balanced to hover)
-Remove stock antena wire purchased new wire from hobby shop and solder new wire on and just for extra security put a dot of hot glue over wire to ensure it wont come off.
(the stock wire is too thin and can fracture internaly causing intermittent loss of control)
- Hot glue drops on each ground contact point on landing skids
(helps with the drifting problem when slowly spooling up for takeoff)
-MY FAV UPGRADE- replace tail rotor with APC Composite propeller LP04742 4.7X4.2 Speed 400 Electric. ( this prop is awsome and doesnt tend to cause the electrics board to overheat as it is a lighter blade than stock) This blade also comes with varyable washers to mount with one of them fits perfectly over the tail gear and if you use the stock screw that holds your canopy on to hold the tail blade in place you shouldnt have any problems.Plus with this mod it looks so much nicer than having paper taped all over the place and also no vibrations!!!

LINKS
Blade mod-
RC - Volitation 9053 - Lower Blade Shaft Reverse Mod (3 min 0 sec)

Tail blade-http://www.apcprop.com/ProductDetail...tCode=LP04742E

I have many more mods im going to be doing soon ill post them as soon as i do them. Please let me know if these mods work for you!

EDIT- TIGHTEN ALL YOUR SCREWS THAT HELPS ALOT WITH THE VIBRATIONS
- Also in the video the guy writes to flip the blade shaft he means flip the blade grip!
kylejclaflin is offline Find More Posts by kylejclaflin
Last edited by kylejclaflin; Jan 11, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Extra
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
9053 mods

I have completed many of the mods to the 9053 which are:
1. Reverse the lower blade mount. I have smashed 4 blades due to top hitting bottom before doing this mod and now it is fine. Once done, when you look at it the lower blades seem to look as if they were meant to be this way.
2. Added tale rota blade. Many suggest gluing bigger blades to the existing, I just order a std extra one and using a longer 2mm self tapper, screwed two on at 90 degrees giving twice as much lift hence more speed.
3. Trail the antenna. Unwrap it from the silly tube and rail it along the tail giving greater range.
4. Tighten the screws on the A & B blades so that they hardly move, this stops the up and down play.
5. Extra weight in the nose as it does tend to be tail heavy. Use Blue Tac until it is right, weigh the Blue Tac then glue on a weight that is the same.
6. Get rid on the metal balance rod and replace it with one from a 9077, need 2 x connect buckles but this is better anyway as it is better balance.
7. Drilled hole in canopy above the main circuit board to allow air to flow and stop overheating

Thantís the lot, a real mean machine now...
Des Ewers is offline Find More Posts by Des Ewers
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
One more IMPORTANT mod. replace stock battery with Turnigy 2200mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack (130g) for 25 min flying time (connector needs to be modified). Rubber band or Velcro could be used to attach battery undercarriage (also helps to balance heli).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14972
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man1024 View Post
One more IMPORTANT mod. replace stock battery with Turnigy 2200mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack (130g) for 25 min flying time (connector needs to be modified). Rubber band or Velcro could be used to attach battery undercarriage (also helps to balance heli).

Can you tell me what connection mod needs to be done, I assmue it is the connector. Where can I get the right connectors to put on it?
Grifftech is offline Find More Posts by Grifftech
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man1024 View Post

Can someone please tell me what "connection" mod this poster was talking about?
danyim is offline Find More Posts by danyim
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Here is a link to a 2200 mah 7.4v batthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/7-4V-2200MAH...item43a9b8fd1b
Krazyheli is offline Find More Posts by Krazyheli
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Here is a link to a 2200 mah 7.4v batthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/7-4V-2200MAH...item43a9b8fd1b
I ordered one from a us seller and it is shipping.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee28210 View Post
can you direct me where to get these larger batteries? the 2200 would be great or larger as long as it doesnt effect the heli and burn out my components.
I ordered one from a us seller and it is shipping
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Sorry for the triple posts im new here
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Hello all. New to the site had some questions about the Volitation. Is it possible to change the Main Blades with longer ones?
WORF22 is offline Find More Posts by WORF22