Those are the best.
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:07 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
If your looking for an ARF get the ValueHobby Sabre 47!!!!! The best ARF profile there is! But the kits, like the Primo, SBach and LamYak are better.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
TOLEDO
Joined Jan 2007
54 Posts
I'd check out the lamyaks at www.3dplanekits.com .. I'd say I think they are about the best around. Check out the videos.

JB
JEREMYB is offline Find More Posts by JEREMYB
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:31 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
I've owned a mojo and the razoryak shown above and they where both good flying airplanes. I think the razoryak was more fun and probably the only glow airplane I miss. I had a 95AX on it when I sold it so it had tons of power and flew very well. I was sick of the mess and field equipment so I decided to go all electric.

While profiles are fun and fly well, I found them terribly inconvenient because they were a pain to transport. I wasn't sorry when I finally flew the mojo into the ground (knife edge passes dragging the wing through the weeds ) because it was such a pain to fit into the truck. The razoryak was better as it has a removable wing, but it was still kinda a pain to put together because the RX was in one wing and I had to plug in 4 servos plus the battery every time I assembled it. I was happy enough with that, but just didn't want to keep buying glow fuel (it's expensive in Alaska) and dealing with the mess.

About the time I built the razoryak I bought a 3DHS 47" extra 300 SHP and it flies better than the razoryak and in my opinion way better than the mojo. It's a little longer so it doesn't tumble as well as a mojo, but the inverted harriers are way better and it's easier to rolling harrier.

I flew the airplane for a long time and got really comfortable with it. I was doing knife edge passes at 6" and rolling circles a couple of feet above the ground. I never had to clean it, and it was really easy to transport because the fuse is small and the wings are tiny. After 300 or so flights I crashed it (flirting with the ground again ), and ordered another the following day.

This was the airplane that convinced me to go electric. I realized that most of the good 3d airframes (that aren't profiles) are electric and I really like how reliable it is when hovering right next to the ground. I also really enjoy flying it because I can keep tossing batteries in it all day and didn't have to worry about fuel, rx battery, or any maintenance. Get 3 decent battery packs and a good charger and you can pretty much fly it continuously.

I guess the point is that profiles are great and I enjoyed my time flying them, but now that I have a few 3DHS electrics, I'm not looking back, they fly even better, are more durable, look much better (and stay that way), and are way easier to store and transport.

Sorry if this turned into a pro electric post, I really meant it to be a pro 3DHS full fuse post.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Dec 25, 2010, 06:30 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
What kind of truck do you have? I have a tiny Jeep Liberty and carry a Mojo 60 on the floor with several other planes double decked above it. IMHO, the Primo is more performance oriented than the Mojo. Kind of like a Ferrari compared to a Mustang GT.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 06:59 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Friends don't let friends fly profiles FULL FUSE RULES
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:47 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Now that is some useful information.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:35 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
What kind of truck do you have? I have a tiny Jeep Liberty and carry a Mojo 60 on the floor with several other planes double decked above it. IMHO, the Primo is more performance oriented than the Mojo. Kind of like a Ferrari compared to a Mustang GT.
I have a dodge 2500 quad cab long bed (pretty much the largest truck you can buy) and still found it to be a pain because I couldn't carry the profiles in the bed because the flying field is a 30 minute highway drive away so they need to go into the back seat. Since they can't lay flat I had them propped up between the front and rear seats, but then I got glow goo all over my truck.

I now have a 3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC and not only is it way more airplane, but I can put it and the 47" in the space that the mojo consumed. Add my battery case and a charger and I'm ready to go flying.

I haven't flown a primo, but I'm told they are good. Can you buy them with removable wings? If so I may try an electric one.

schu
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:23 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
I appreciate your post above with an explanation of what you like and why. I believe you can build the Swany House planes with removable wings. I've heard that the plane is not as strong though. The good thing is that if you tear up a wing you can install another.

How about a relatively inexpensive bed tonneau cover? Put down some old carpet and you could carry a bunch of planes. I would try to find a white one so the planes don't melt in the summer.

Here's the first one I found

The best full fuselage plane I've owned is a Fliton Inspire 60. IMHO, it is a hybrid that will 3D and "fly's" great. They are pretty light for a nitro motor's vibration and the covering was very delicate. Profile planes have a lighter wing loading which some people may not enjoy. Plus the durability of a profile with a carbon tube in the fuselage is very durable.

I consider myself lucky, I like any plane (or heli) as long as it fly's radical. Looks are secondary to me. That rules out warbirds and most scale planes. The exception being my Modelfly Cessna float plane.

I also like 2C, 4C, gas and electric equally. They each have an advantage over the other, like profile vs full fuse.
Last edited by Jimmy Hoffa; Dec 26, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Glad I don't have your friends then!!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:52 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Jimmy,

Have you flown a 3DHS plane? If not, do it now. Any of the extras or slicks. And give youself a few flights to get the hang of it. Before I flew them I thought that profiles were it, but after 10 flights on the 300 SHP, I realized that is every bit a profile, and in many ways more.

schu
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:02 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
schu,
3DHS makes fantastic planes. I've been around them but never flown one. I am interested in the 41" Edge aka "99 Buck Huck" to start with. The problem is I have too many planes now. Seriously, I have everything except warbirds covered. 3 profiles: Mojo 60 w/ OS .91 FX, Primo 40 w/ Saito .82, Cermark Lil' Banchee 31" electric. Everything else is full fuse 3D.

Here are 2 small electric planes I am considering:

Sabre 35 profile electric

3DHS Edge
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:45 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
I'd really like the Edge too, but I cant get myself to buy another electric balsa hucker when I fly as hard as I do....EPP lasts SOOOOOOOOO much longer with me and its cheaper!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:24 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Another point about profile vs full fuselage is durability. Profiles are obviously much more durable, especially if the plane has a TUBE IN THE FUSELAGE. If not, a one dink and the fuselage probably will crack just behind the wing on most planes. A fuselage tube will make a massive difference.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:18 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts
yup