Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:13 AM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
106 Posts
New Product
New E-flite Radian Pro

Hi everyone,
I got sick of waiting for a multiplex EasyGliderPro so when E-flite announced the launch of its Radian Pro, I jumped at it. Modelflight delivered a PNP version and I maidened it this w/e. We appear to be one of the first countries to take shipment - nice for a change.
Generally it is a dream. Docile but with the ability to turn on a dime to chase that bit of lift.
It comes with all servos, control rods fitted, with a 30Ah ESC and 950kV motor. Just fit your own battery, receiver and transmitter.

The only thing I have changed is the prop. It comes with a strange sized folder- a 9.5x7.5 which is barely enough to launch in level flight. Climbing is a struggle. I changed it to a 10x8 and then ran the wattmeter over both configuratioins using a 3S 1800Ah battery.
At full throttle, with the 9.5x7.5 it gave 13.42Ap and 160Wp with 30oz static thrust.
At full throttle, with the 10x8 it gave 21.75Ah and 244.4 Wp with 40 oz static thrust. Motor warm, ESC cold.

It looks the goods and flies well. I'll get the hang of the flaps and "crow mix" this week.
Cheers,
Tezact
tezact is offline Find More Posts by tezact
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:34 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,262 Posts
didn't you know it's compulsory to post pics when talking about your new plane
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:37 AM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
106 Posts
Hi Gouch,
Sorry but I had no change left for a camera after the purchase.
Cheers
T
tezact is offline Find More Posts by tezact
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:02 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
Hi Tezcat,

I helped one of our club members with his on Saturday and did the maiden flight. I agree with you on the poor climb out of the box. Compared to his MK 1 Radian it was terrible!!

I'll let him know about the props and see how it goes. I was going to get one myself but after the way it flew from the box I would rather get the standard Radian as it can climb!!

I must admit the flaps are cool on landing, really sloooows it down
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:52 PM
R/C Tyro
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2007
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezact View Post
Hi everyone,
I got sick of waiting for a multiplex EasyGliderPro so when E-flite announced the launch of its Radian Pro, I jumped at it. Modelflight delivered a PNP version and I maidened it this w/e. We appear to be one of the first countries to take shipment - nice for a change.
Generally it is a dream. Docile but with the ability to turn on a dime to chase that bit of lift.
It comes with all servos, control rods fitted, with a 30Ah ESC and 950kV motor. Just fit your own battery, receiver and transmitter.

The only thing I have changed is the prop. It comes with a strange sized folder- a 9.5x7.5 which is barely enough to launch in level flight. Climbing is a struggle. I changed it to a 10x8 and then ran the wattmeter over both configuratioins using a 3S 1800Ah battery.
At full throttle, with the 9.5x7.5 it gave 13.42Ap and 160Wp with 30oz static thrust.
At full throttle, with the 10x8 it gave 21.75Ah and 244.4 Wp with 40 oz static thrust. Motor warm, ESC cold.

It looks the goods and flies well. I'll get the hang of the flaps and "crow mix" this week.
Cheers,
Tezact
I got the BNF version this week - $273 from Perth RC including receiver, battery and charger. Bargain IMO. I will hopefully have it flying next weekend.
Amazulu is offline Find More Posts by Amazulu
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:37 PM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just heard from one of my mates at work that his friend was having the same issue with a slow poor performing Radian Pro. His mate rang modelflight about it and apparently there was a batch of Radians that went out with the wrong motor. They have sent him the correct one so will report back on what the difference is like.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:02 AM
Registered Abuser
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
610 Posts
With the stock setup, climbout certainly is poor.

Anyone looking a getting this glider should definately consider a prop change.
As well as a lower Kv motor (compared to the original Radian) they also come with a lower pitch prop (although they have the same markings). A big stuff from Horizon .

There are 2 Graupner 10x8 props that have different hub sizes so get this one: http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=1249

All you need to do is enlarge the hole to 3mm and it fits the stock spinner and folds pretty well.

10.91V
21.1A
230W
6810RPM

So don't bother changing the motor just change the prop.
Kentucky is offline Find More Posts by Kentucky
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
Modelflight told the guy the motor in his was only pulling 10amp????? That it had the wrong motor in it.... I'll let you know when I hear back how it went.

Compared to the original it is terrible in performance