HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
great plane overall

I flew this airplane yesterday for the first time and did not even have to trim it. It is very responsive and flys very well. The one thing that I would advise against is landing on grass with landing gear in; I did have the gear tear out on the last landing (I did come in a little hot but the ground was not table top flat but decent). So I would recommend only landing on dirt/pavement. I think I am going to reglue them back in with some ply reinforcements.

Has anyone attempted to hand launch/belly land this aircraft? Because of the way the lower cowel is held on. Any issues with it breaking or crumbling?

Thanks,
jjjbrim is offline Find More Posts by jjjbrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
I got to take it up for the first time today and went really well. Some trimming but more of a battery CG adjustment. Got three more good flights and like yours my last landing was also a little hot and tweeked the left gear plywood. The steel landing gear is not going to bend but will rip out of the wing if allowed. I'm thinking about taking some fiberglass mesh squares and bonding them around the plywood mounting area using expoxy. That may increase the strength of the surface tension area upon hot landings. The E-Flite Trojan has a good mounting setup for the wheel, but not anything that looks scale to the airplane. This P51 has got a lot of scale looks which is really cool! I do prefer to takeoff with the wheels on. Havent tride hand launch as that sounds like failure with one person. Landing on grass with wheels has resulted in nose in landings even with full up elevator. Not a big deal.
marketvending is offline Find More Posts by marketvending
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
OK, did some work on the landing gear configuration. Went to my local hobby store and bought two 109 G landing gear mounts made by E-flite. Also bought two wheels with wire that were made for the E-flite T-28 Trojan. Original design for the P51 Mustang is to weak for me. It failed again after another repair and not a bad landing, but enough to break. This mod added 1 oz to the original weight of the plane. The CG is ok no change. After trying to mount the plastic to the wing I ran into a carbon spar rod in the wing. I had to move the plastic grear mount more forward into the gun area. Got it expoxy and feels stronger. The original Mustang wheel fit the new wire gear with some drilling out the diameter. Now the wheels slant more forward which may help prevent some of the tip overs.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:30 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
I like the landing gear mod. The stock landing gear is really pathetic to say the least.

I did a hand toss on this plane. Overhand didn't feel good because there really wasn't a spot to grip so I went with and underhand toss. I had never attempted and underhand, but it worked out just fine.
shoeler is offline Find More Posts by shoeler
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:29 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Sep 2008
66 Posts
Flaps?

Just ordered mine from tower hobbies! Looks like a great buy! I was wondering if anyone had attempted to program flaperons on the DX6i with this model. Any thought or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I am moving up from a pz um t-28 by the way if this helps any.
Thanks!
r75fly is offline Find More Posts by r75fly
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:33 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,380 Posts
Concerning flaps/flaperons on this plane, The location and the small control surface of the ailerons are not conducive to good performing flaperons. A better mod which I'm thinking about is making the flaps that are molded in the wing operational. I'll look a bit more into it to see how feasible it is to get the servo mounted properly. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
microDan is online now Find More Posts by microDan
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:40 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
In the air this plane has good power. Will go vertical. Roll rate is slow. I'm flying at dual rates as I like the most control I can get out of it. For the money it is a nice flying airplane in the air. The E-Flite landing gear wire is more flexable than the one that came with the plane. It might be worth a try to take the E-Flite wire and bend it to the shape of the one that came with the plane and then insert it into the stock mount. At least it would have more give to it.
Last edited by marketvending; Dec 29, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
MarketVending, your gear snapped at the same place as mine. I like your modification; my thought was to do something similar out of thin plywood (set that platic wheel mount onto the ply and then carve out a notch in the foam and epoxy it in but your set up would save the hassle. What is the ballpark cost of your mod?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r75fly View Post
Just ordered mine from tower hobbies! Looks like a great buy! I was wondering if anyone had attempted to program flaperons on the DX6i with this model. Any thought or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I am moving up from a pz um t-28 by the way if this helps any.
Thanks!
Microdan is right, the flaps ideally should be closer to the fuse.

BUUTTTT I have a Dx7 and I programed in the flaperons. You need to have a 6 channel receiver to do it, like the AR600 because it wont work with the AR500. I didn't put in to much throw, but it worked out nice.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Forgot to mention that I took this out yesterday and compared it to the parkzone wildcat. My flying buddy took his up at the same time and they seemed pretty even speed wise. I took the gears off so they could be comparable, but I didn't think to check what batteries we were using.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
The new wire landing gear and plastic mount was under 10 bucks.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
MarketVending thanks for the reply; sounds very reasonable.

Shoeler: when you belly land this airplane did you have any issues with the mid-body cowling getting chewed up? I ask because it is held on there with magnets and i could see it coming off but dont know if that is a good thing or bad thing when the plane touches down.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjbrim View Post
MarketVending thanks for the reply; sounds very reasonable.

Shoeler: when you belly land this airplane did you have any issues with the mid-body cowling getting chewed up? I ask because it is held on there with magnets and i could see it coming off but dont know if that is a good thing or bad thing when the plane touches down.
I covered the bottom with clear packing tap so that it doesn't get chewed up. I have only belly landed it on snow so far so its more like skiing. It been raining a fair amount today and the snow is going away so hopefully I can give you a report an grass landings soon. The scoop that is held in by the magnet has never come off on me.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:51 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Sep 2008
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeler View Post
Microdan is right, the flaps ideally should be closer to the fuse.

BUUTTTT I have a Dx7 and I programed in the flaperons. You need to have a 6 channel receiver to do it, like the AR600 because it wont work with the AR500. I didn't put in to much throw, but it worked out nice.
Sounds Good! I'll have to look into that. I do have an AR600 I was just curious about the possibility and if it required any additional equipment.
r75fly is offline Find More Posts by r75fly
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:54 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
Well I took the plane out today with the new landing gear mod and it flew like it flew before. Didn't even have to do anying triming. Landing was dead on. Just need a rough landing to put it to the test.