http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...DE=&FVPROFIL=+
marketvending is offline Find More Posts by marketvending
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:38 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,993 Posts
Mine just arrived this afternoon. In the biggest box I have every seen that didn't hold a ford pickup truck tailgate. Had to be more than twice the size of the plane box alone. 12 X 24 X 60. Tower must have some deal with UPS...
Anyway, just digging through the box. It's very nice.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:54 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda View Post
Mine just arrived this afternoon. In the biggest box I have every seen that didn't hold a ford pickup truck tailgate. Had to be more than twice the size of the plane box alone. 12 X 24 X 60. Tower must have some deal with UPS...
Anyway, just digging through the box. It's very nice.
Congrats! Its about time! Too bad the weather her in WI isn't to helpful...
shoeler is offline Find More Posts by shoeler
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:43 PM
The ground is approaching fast
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
My P-51 finally arrived yesterday and wow that box was huge for what was inside. Everything seems to be there and in perfect shape. Can't wait to maiden her sometime next week if all this Christmas stuff doesn't slow me down.
kaging is offline Find More Posts by kaging
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:34 PM
The Song of Moses
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
oh great another foam mustang!
Alcyone is offline Find More Posts by Alcyone
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Got a couple flights in on this guys today, quite fun even though it was freezing. Wish I could get some video of it. I did stick a camera on my stryker... here is some video!

Astrowings Stryker Flight (6 min 48 sec)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:52 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Finally got her put together, it was a lot easier than I thought. Here is a pic from my crappy camera. Just waiting for some good flying weather to maiden her, the forecast shows Tuesday and Wednesdays to be the best days.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:50 AM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaging View Post
Finally got her put together, it was a lot easier than I thought. Here is a pic from my crappy camera. Just waiting for some good flying weather to maiden her, the forecast shows Tuesday and Wednesdays to be the best days.
I really like the way the Joe decal looks! I think I might have to change mine up!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:39 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Shoeler, be careful taking the stickers on the nose off because when I went to reposition one side the paint started to come off so I just left it alone.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaging View Post
Shoeler, be careful taking the stickers on the nose off because when I went to reposition one side the paint started to come off so I just left it alone.
Thanks for the heads up, I wondered if that would be a problem. I just went to my man cave and pulled off the old crow decals and put on the Joe one's. Matches the color scheme better and make it look cool!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:27 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Finally had a chance to maiden today and got about 5 good minutes before I tumbled on landing. The only damage however was a loose firewall. I was going to put some epoxy on it but forgot to pack some for my trip so instead of the quick fix with some CA I just decided to fly another day. Nice flying bird though and the mishap was totally my fault with bad depth perception on the landing.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:28 AM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
457 Posts
The price for the Tower Hobbies P51 is amazing. But other than that, I'm wondering how it compares to the Pkz Corsair in overall performance. I'm trying to decide which of the two to get.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
Last edited by accel8or; Dec 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 02:14 PM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
With the Corsair being $179 and the mustang $114... The nice thing about the mustang is that you can always get a tower coupon for $15 off when you spend $100, which is how most of us got it for under $100. I am willing to bet that the motor is very similar for the two planes and you will probably get the same flight times and speeds assuming you use the same batteries. Its stupid that Tower hasn't released the specs of the motor/esc for it yet. I called in and they said they should have that by the new year - not sure how they don't know!?!?!

Anyways the mustang has been a hit for me! I just got back from the field and flew it 2x. We are fortunate to have a road going right next to our field, the electric company owns the field, and because they go in a few times a month they plow the road. Perfect for flying in the winter!! Today was the first time I used that runway for the mustang and it really was a nice plane to land. I added the flaperon feature for kicks and giggle and I can tell that this plane is gonna be a good park flyer. When the snow clears in the spring and I don't have time to goto the field it will be a fun one to get in a few flights at the park.

Another cool thing about is that a few guys in our club have bought them and we are going to do a little dog fighting with crepe paper. It should be just right for that, not too fast, not too slow...

Anyways I bet both planes will make you happy!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
Nice looking P51, I like the use of the wood and foam construction. Especially when used with the servos. The speed controller is large in size. I guess its at least a 30 amp or more. The motor has allot of windings and is more wide than deep. Quality of build is very good. The cowl fit to the foam is flawless and no warpage anywhere. The front end under the cowl is plywood construction with the outside foam shell. A crash is going to require rebuilding the wood as well as exterior foam. That may not be so easy as other all foam front end planes. Super easy battery access with lots of room for CG adjustment. I'm using a 6.2oz battery and getting CG is no problem. No added weight was necessary. AUW without battery comes in at 25.6oz. My E-Flite Trojan came in at 25 oz AUW without battery. Servos in Mustang are not labeled but look like the electricfly brand. The magnetic hatch holds on tight as well as the underebelly tank with magnets. Nice scale black wheels with tread and are a little larger size tire than the Trojan. The spinner on Mustang is huge. Reminds me of the spinners I use on size .46 nitro gas engines. Haven't taken it up yet, but will soon! I'm going to fly with the landing gear.
Using the watt meter and the included 9 x4.5 prop and 2200mAh battery. I got at full throttle 21.2 amp draw at 11.3volts and 240 watts. Using same battery on stock trojan I got 18.9 amp draw at 212 watts and 11.3volts using 9.5 x 7.5 propeller. As I was working on this plane I kept thinking that the spinner and cowl had a larger than expected gap. I proceded to remove the cowl and found that the four screws were screwed into the foam and not the blocks. Simple mistake, but I almost overlooked it. Easy fix and no extra holes had to be made in the cowl or blocks. Blocks already had holes drilled. Now the spacing is correct. The edge of the cowl should meet with the open edge of the top fuse and not overlap the removable part of the canopy at all. If you haven't checked yours you may want to.
Last edited by marketvending; Dec 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:01 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
I found this site showing where to put the decals on the P51
http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/C..._3AD_66FW.html