SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2010, 01:19 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzpilot View Post
I maidened mine today! Great flying plane. I crashed on the first launch trying an overhand throw, much better under-hand! Great bird for the money. I think flaps for landing(no gear for me) would be great. Does anyone know if I can program flaps and still have aileron control for landing? I have a futaba 8fg. The manual does not indicate this type of mix available? thanks....

jz
I guess you would look for a "flaperon" setting in your radio.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 02:32 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Finally got mine ordered. Waiting paid off with free shipping and a 10% off coupon. To cold to fly anyway.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:54 PM
your focus needs more focus
Gunnison, Co
Joined Oct 2010
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
I guess you would look for a "flaperon" setting in your radio.
I'll re-read that section and try it, thanks. I flew five times today. Wind blowing 15-20mph, temp in the mid-30's F according to the weather station at the FAA airport 10 miles away. This plane flies well in the wind, I fly on a hill side at 8,000' asl. The last landing, well, not so good. Broke the cowl, plywood motor mount, etc. I'm surprised the prop has not broken yet. The plane is very easily repaired.

Does anyone know the original motor thrust angle(s)? Need to verify an acceptable repair. Thanks again!

jz
jzpilot is offline Find More Posts by jzpilot
Last edited by jzpilot; Dec 07, 2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:21 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
I did a quick measurement of the thrust angles. I got approx 1mm down and .5mm to the right.
I used a digital caliper to take measurements from the back of the spinner to the cowl, at 12 - 6 - 3- 9 o'clock.
It comes out to be about 20/1000 right and 40/1000 down.
Hope this helps.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Old Dec 07, 2010, 05:53 PM
your focus needs more focus
Gunnison, Co
Joined Oct 2010
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
I did a quick measurement of the thrust angles. I got approx 1mm down and .5mm to the right.
I used a digital caliper to take measurements from the back of the spinner to the cowl, at 12 - 6 - 3- 9 o'clock.
It comes out to be about 20/1000 right and 40/1000 down.
Hope this helps.
Bingo! thank you so much!! My cowl is busted, but I will transfer the info to the motormount. Test flight went well...

jz
jzpilot is offline Find More Posts by jzpilot
Last edited by jzpilot; Dec 07, 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: add info
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:10 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
When i first saw this plane last month, I knew I had to have it. what a deal. Free shipping until Dec 8th and 10.00 off as well. Go to hobbypeople.net they have there 2200 11.1 volt 20c lipos for 11.99 not sure for how long. Couldn't wait to be able to finally download the manual from Tower. I know one thing the motor shaft looks to be a 1/4 shaft as the instructions say to drill out a slow fly prop. So, its not the cheap thin shaft motors that are on the market. Another post said that tower support said it also had a 30 amp speed control. Its sounding better and better. Already have two from several months ago and I like them. for the output they are great and a bit smaller than some of the other cheaper packs out there on Ebay and such.
marketvending is offline Find More Posts by marketvending
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:24 PM
The ground is approaching fast
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
well i've been out of the hobby for a few months and this plane is my ticket back in the game. Can't wait till it shows up at my doorstep.
kaging is offline Find More Posts by kaging
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:20 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaging View Post
well i've been out of the hobby for a few months and this plane is my ticket back in the game. Can't wait till it shows up at my doorstep.
You will enjoy this plane, its a well built fun flyer. I am hoping that I can get another flight out of it this weekend. I am going to have to removed the landing gear and do a belly landing because we got some snow last weekend and our field it covered... But I am assuming a hand launch won't be difficult.
shoeler is offline Find More Posts by shoeler
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2005
109 Posts
No snow in Phx, AZ Now's some of the best flying weather around. Tower now has a parts list online for this plane.
marketvending is offline Find More Posts by marketvending
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:20 AM
w5kfg
Hattiesburg,MS
Joined Jun 2003
453 Posts
Where is the parts list as all I saw was 2 propellers
w5kfg is offline Find More Posts by w5kfg
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:19 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Would skis work on this plane? Or would they upset the aerodynamic balance to much? I'm concerned about belly landings because of the scoop.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:30 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
I fly my mustang at a park where the grass so tall it will not allow me to ROG. I hand launch the p-51 all time. climbs out nice with 3/4 to full throttle.
wileyrc is offline Find More Posts by wileyrc
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:35 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc View Post
I fly my mustang at a park where the grass so tall it will not allow me to ROG. I hand launch the p-51 all time. climbs out nice with 3/4 to full throttle.
What method of hand launching are you using (over or under handed)? Also do you do belly landings? If so did you have to put masking tape on the underside?

Thanks in advance....
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
I use a over handed toss. works great, only small problem is there is really on place to hold the plane from the bottom. I sort of hold it at the back end of the fuse and balance it between the fuse and the scoop before I toss it. Belly landings really mess up the paint on the bottom of the plane so tape to protect it would be a good idea. Just know that once you apply the tape the paint will come off with the tape if you ever attempt to remove it. I hand toss mine with the landing gear on it so I wont destroy the paint with belly landings.
wileyrc is offline Find More Posts by wileyrc
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Thanks wiley... good to know.