954 Posts
iam bored so i made a rc car from two servos

two servo car (2 min 16 sec)
bhcnomo is offline Find More Posts by bhcnomo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:41 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
I had a bad day at the park with my mustang. It started out ok took her up twice and I was about to go a third time two laddies jogging stopped and ask me where did I get my plane and one of the laddies said she wanted to buy one for son dae dae. I ask her how old was her son and she said two. I tried to explain to her that he might be to young for an rc plain, and she told me that her son was smart for his age and picks up on everything real fast. While trying to convince her he was to young I found myself actually getting into sort of an argument with her, so I stopped talking and just said ok I bought it online from a place called tower hobbies. now back to flying, right when I was going to hand launch a guy I sometimes fly at the park with walks up starts talking and ask me if he could take my plane up for a try? since I have seen him do things with his plane that will take me years to learn I said sure. long story short he crashed on landing. Nothing that cant be fixed but I still left the park pissed off.
wileyrc is offline Find More Posts by wileyrc
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
thats why i joined a club - so people dont bother me - i also never let anyone fly my planes
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
good advice, there are a few official AMA flying sites that I fly at, All are 18 miles or more from my house which is not far but since I fly at least 4 times a week and with gas hear in California averaging $4.20 a gallon it was starting to become a little costly. after watching my buddy attempt to land my plane and end up doing three cart wheels before it came to a stop I remembered watching him crash his own planes upon landing at times in my opinion looked as if it could have been a easy smooth landing. the guy is a hot dogger in the air but sucks on landing. first and last time I let someone use my plane.
perhaps making the 36 mile or so round trip is worth it to get a better flying experience.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
its a 30 minute drive for me but everyone is cool and helps out - and no one bothers you
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:06 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,285 Posts
Sorry to hear it Wiley.

I maidened mine today.

Short version: It flew great. I stalled it on landing but no harm done.

Long version: It's been so nasty here that I couldn't fly. Today, it was cloudy and calm so I headed out to the field. By the time I got there, it was pouring rain. I waited in the car for about a half hour until the rain tapered off at which point I discovered I'd left my flight batteries at home.

Drove home to get the batteries and the rain started again. It stopped about an hour later and I charged off to the field again with my son in tow. Stuck the battery in, quick pre-flight, and got her up in the air.

I used up all the down trim on my radio and still couldn't get the elevator trimmed up; I'll have to do some manual adjustments tonight.

The plane acted slightly tail-heavy but it flew very, very nice. I was especially impressed by its low speed flight characteristics. I'd been prepared for it to get squirrelly but it really didn't. It floated pretty nicely.

On landing, however, I slowed it down a little too much and had a bit of a stall at about 6 feet. Nothing serious; just some dirt on the prop. As I was 'landing' the rain began again, so I only got in the one short flight.

I thought there was some damage to the motor mount, but it turned out that it was just the cowling which had come loose. I took it apart at home and discovered that the cowling wasn't attached properly in the first place; the screws were not in the wood blocks but in the foam behind the blocks. Screwed it all back together and I'm waiting for the rain to end.

All in all, I'm very happy with the plane!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:51 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
My cowling was the same way...
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:46 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Sep 2008
66 Posts
Just got back from flying mine this evening and the thing flew like a brick! I was using a brand new APC 9X4.7 slow fly prop on it. Any suggestions on a better prop for the mustang? I know that the original was a 9X4.5 slow, but that was many props ago. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
J
r75fly is offline Find More Posts by r75fly
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:31 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,285 Posts
On the previous page, an APC 9x7.5E was recommended.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=207
Last edited by mclarkson; Apr 27, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Sep 2008
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
On the previous page, an APC 9.75E was recommended.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=207
Got it. I forgot about the other thread!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:03 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,285 Posts
I've posted a video of the maiden flight. Please ignore the embarrassing landing!

Maiden Flight of my Tower Hobbies P-51 (3 min 1 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:22 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
COOLvideo Mcclarkson job well done. after my friend crashed my plane I took it home and found that the fire wall motor mount was cracked in half and the wing tips had some small dents and scraps. everything is fixed now so tomorrow morning back to the park or flying field.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:28 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Hey r75fly I previously wrote on this thread about how bad this plane flies with an APC 9x4 slow-flyer prop. there are some suggestions form others on this thread but I have not tried them. I went back to the stock prop that came with the plane and have not had any problems.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:16 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Nice video mclarkson thanks for sharing!
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Sep 2008
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc View Post
Hey r75fly I previously wrote on this thread about how bad this plane flies with an APC 9x4 slow-flyer prop. there are some suggestions form others on this thread but I have not tried them. I went back to the stock prop that came with the plane and have not had any problems.
Yeah I've been gone for a few months. I'm going to order the stock props and pick up a few apc 9X7.5 props as well to try out.