SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Discussion
Tower Hobbies P-51 Mustang

Has anyone bought the new Tower Hobbies P-51 Mustang. I ordered one on friday looks like a cool plane.
wileyrc is offline Find More Posts by wileyrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:48 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Mine was delivered yesterday.
The plane is extremely simple to complete.
IMO it is well built, I love the extra strength of the plywood fire wall / nose and the fact that the plywood frame work extends thru the fuse. It's also made of my first choice of "EPO" foam with normal dings and surface blemishes. It comes with decal sets to make it 1 of 4 different named P51's (nice touch)
With coupons, super saver etc, for $95 shipped it can't be beat (I bought 2).
Great bang for the buck on a 40" war bird.
I test ran the motor on a WATTS UP meter and got almost 20 amps and over 210 watts. The plane felt like it could take off vertical out of my hand, so it seems to have ample power. Overall I really liked how easy and well the plane went together and the engineering was well done. The AUW with landing gear & a 20c 1800 3s lipo was 31oz.
Hopefully it will fly as good as the overall impression this mustang makes. I'd love to hear from anyone else that got one and their first impressions.
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:40 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Mine was delivered yesterday.
The plane is extremely simple to complete.
IMO it is well built, I love the extra strength of the plywood fire wall / nose and the fact that the plywood frame work extends thru the fuse. It's also made of my first choice of "EPO" foam with normal dings and surface blemishes. It comes with decal sets to make it 1 of 4 different named P51's (nice touch)
With coupons, super saver etc, for $95 shipped it can't be beat (I bought 2).
Great bang for the buck on a 40" war bird.
I test ran the motor on a WATTS UP meter and got almost 20 amps and over 210 watts. The plane felt like it could take off vertical out of my hand, so it seems to have ample power. Overall I really liked how easy and well the plane went together and the engineering was well done. The AUW with landing gear & a 20c 1800 3s lipo was 31oz.
Hopefully it will fly as good as the overall impression this mustang makes. I'd love to hear from anyone else that got one and their first impressions.
What is the motor on that thing? I almost ordered it and couldn't get specs on it even from tower and I was kinda un-sure. Post some video/pics if you don't mind please!
shoeler is offline Find More Posts by shoeler
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
What coupons did you use? I am in the super saver club and I only saw a $15 off...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:25 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
As a club member the plane is $114.98 after you sign in. So even if you use the $15 code the plane is $100 and it has free shipping. $100 shipped to your door, great deal!!!
For this price believe me it's worth every penny.
Remember I bought 2 of them $229.96 minus $40 (014X5) = 189.96 /2 = $94.98 each.

What pics do you need?
I'd have to take it apart to see if there are any markings on the motor or ESC.
This has to be made for Tower by Great Planes/Electrifly/Hobbico/FlyZone or any of the other companies Tower is tied into.
I think I'll put my tach on the prop & get an rpm reading. Prop is 9x4.5
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:51 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
OK, I just used a direct drive tach on it and got roughly 7500 rpm on the 9x4.5 prop. So I'm guessing the motor with no load is probably in the 8-900kv range.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:14 AM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
OK, I just used a direct drive tach on it and got roughly 7500 rpm on the 9x4.5 prop. So I'm guessing the motor with no load is probably in the 8-900kv range.
Thanks for the info, I have been up in the air about buying it. I think its about time to pull the trigger! You really can't beat the price, and it looks really cool!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:19 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
For $100 bucks I think you'll be very happy. Don't forget Tower will take it back no problem. You'd just be gambling your cost on the shipping charge to send it back.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:31 AM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
For $100 bucks I think you'll be very happy. Don't forget Tower will take it back no problem. You'd just be gambling your cost on the shipping charge to send it back.
Ordered it!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:36 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Congrats!!!! Report on it when you get it.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:53 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
I agree this plane goes together very easy. the instructions say assemble time is aprox 1 hour, I think it took me 25 min and I know for a fact that I'm very slow at assembling. looks good and the motor does seem strong enough to make this little war bird a blast to fly.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:08 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,054 Posts
do you guys have a link?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:42 AM
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
do you guys have a link?
http://towerhobbies.com/products/towa2000.html
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
The site I fly at does not have a paved runway, the manual for this plane says it will not roll on even short grass, and hand launching the plane is easy and the way to go. Only one problem there is no where to hold this plane to hand launch it unless you hold it from the top and hand launch it under hand. I have hand launched many of my planes but I have always held the planes from the bottom with an over hand toss.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:52 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Now that you mention it, it is a PIA to hold & launch normally. I just grabbed my plane to see. Usually the cut outs for the wheels in the wing are useable, but it's not a secure hold as they are not really deep enough to get a good grip. The plane would tend to just want to jump out of your hand. One thing I did already was bend the landing gear wire so the wheels are slightly in front of the wing. I've not tried a taxi yet. Maybe 2 1/4" wheels to replace the 2" wheels might help too. Hopefully this does not become an issue