HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:45 PM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Question
Which Charger?

Hey fellow electric fliers. Finally realized that this hobby has bit deep into me and I'll be in this for the long run. as a result, I think I need to start building the "infrastructure" of equipment. That being said, I'm in the market to advance beyond the PZ chargers I have accumulated with my Stinson, Msr, SR 120, Night Vapor and um T-28.

I'm looking very seriously at the Thunder Power Ac/Dc 610c. However, I note that TP has discontinued the 1010c and introducing the 820 cd. I was thinking about going up to one of those, but I note they are released yet. You can see the list of what I have, pretty much all micro and small PZ stuff. I currently don't have the need to charge 6s packs. I figure the biggest step up I'll likely make at this point of being a newbie in the hobby is a Trex 450 when I get good enough on the Msr and SR 120. I'll probably add some more PZ flyers to the stable, likely the Sukhoi and definitely the upcoming P-47.

I can get the 610c now and it seems to me more than adequate for what I'm using now and in the foreseeable future. Any opinions from those who have been in my situation and have been in the hobby for awhile?

Thanks in advance for the replies and advice.
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:50 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,610 Posts
For what it's worth I started about like you about seven years ago. I bought what I thought I would need. But I soon found I needed just a bit more. Then after that I found I needed a bit more. It didn't end. I think I am now where I should have been when I started. I have an FMA PL8 charger. Over 500 watts with 12 Volt DC input and over 1000 watts (more like 1400 watts) with 24 volt DC input. The charger costs in the $250 range but I have $500 worth of chargers sitting on the shelf which are rarely used. At the moment I don't need all that power but I can see it happening down the road.

So since as you stated you are in the hobby for the long run go for the tops. Get a PL8. Check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176112

And for a power supply you can get a couple of used computer server power supplies very inexpensively. I got a pair for about $30 shipped. There are a couple mentioned in the PL8 thread. Do a search to find the relevant posts.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:46 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,872 Posts
Hi KYlawyer. I suspect you are looking at the TP AC/DC for the AC freature. If that's the case, have a look at this thread. The info in that thread may be of some use to you.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
Are there crawfish in heaven??
Joined Apr 2004
277 Posts
I would have to agree with Glen. When I started my conversion to glow I bought a Cellpro 4S. At the time all I had were 3S packs. Well, that didn't last long. 4S packs came along pretty quickly. I then bought a Cellpro 10S. Well, then came 6S packs (why not, now had the charger). You quickly
jcg1112 is offline Find More Posts by jcg1112
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:31 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
I just went through the process of buying another charger. You can read about it here. I got lots of great advice here and couldn't be more pleased with my iCharger and P350 power supply.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:35 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
I just went through the process of buying another charger. You can read about it here. I got lots of great advice here and couldn't be more pleased with my iCharger and P350 power supply.
Thats some good advise rite there. I love my 206b and P350.

As mrforsyth said, a match made in charger heaven...

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
11 Posts
Hello Chris,
I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your work in the Electric RC info, how-tos and such section of your website. I have been flying for a year, beginning with a Super Cub lp, T-28, and just purchased a Carbon-Z Yak. So I have grown into multiple battery packs and am over the RTF supplied chargers. Particularly after purchasing a cheap multi-port charger which required 13.5 volt PS minimum. Pretty much nixed my idea of using a 12V deep cycle for field use.

You laid a foundation to an impressive depth while keeping the concepts within reach of an amateur.

Perry
dpf305 is offline Find More Posts by dpf305