Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:17 PM
September 2010
United States, OR, Lakeview
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
Discussion
New to Trucks and Cars Need Advice

Hi All,

I have been back into flying for about 2 years and want to have a winter RC hobby also. I really want to get into Trucks. I see so many options and have no idea where to start. I don't want to spend a ton of cash up front but I think I can get 350.00 together.

I really like the mid sized trucks, and electric seems to be the way to go for me. Not sure what questions to even ask. I do have some land to run these on in eastern Oregon, so I have a place to run a truck.

Anyone want to school an old dog?
Outback Joe is offline Find More Posts by Outback Joe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:49 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Hi Joe.

If you have a good battery charger that can charge lipo's electric would be a good way to go. If you are just going to bash around the yard a monster truck would be a good place to start. The Traxxas Emaxx or HPI Flux might do the ticket.
See what your local LHS stocks you will need parts. I recommend brands I have run in the past. Traxxas, HPI, Associated, Losi, CEN, Tamiya. I know there are some cheaper brands I have never run them I stick with what has worked for me in the past.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:06 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
It really depends what you want. There are SC trucks, monster trucks, stadium trucks and rock crawling trucks.

Use to be into buggys a while ago, and came back into surface rc wanted to change it up. So i went with a slash. this one. Which is just in your price range, maybe a bit over with tax... It isn't in yet, but SC seems to be the new thing in rc racing these days.

They all have different pros and cons. Let us know what kind of driving you plan to do (on a track... on a road... jumping... general bashing...) and we can better assist you.

E
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:50 PM
September 2010
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
I was looking at the truck you (Energy) listed above.I liked the look of it and the price is what I have to spend. Does anyone have a favorite truck? I have a few planes that I love to fly and I want to find something that I like for surface RC.

I have land in the high desert and could build a track with my quad and snow plow blade. So I could build jumps and some good straight runs to. I have a very steep hill in the back that goes down to a seasonal creek. Hope that this give you an idea of what type of driving I will be doing.

I have lots of lipos 2200 and 2550 that I can hard case to protect them. So a rig that could use these would be a great way to go.

Thanks for the help so far. There is just so much to this part of the RC world, it makes it hard to get a good starting point. I want a truck that I can grow with.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:15 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
you'll need new lipo's, the 2200 and 2550 will last 10 minutes at best and won't deliver enough amps, a 5000mah 20c+ 2 cell lipo would work the best. lots of run time and enough amps to. the slash is very good for starting out for bashing, i started with a nitro savage, and it is also an amazing truck, it can take a ton of abuse, and works well to. but the slash is what you should get in this case.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Plus, there seems to be many kits and hop-ups for the slash. You can pretty well make it into a decent SC racer with the chassis and arm kits.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:34 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
your batteries would probably fit in a traxxas 1/16 scale.
rcdude123 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude123
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:44 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude123 View Post
your batteries would probably fit in a traxxas 1/16 scale.
Ya you could get the 1/16 scale slash, but i think you wanted something bigger, correct?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:34 AM
September 2010
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
I went and looked at the Slash 2WD brushless today and came so close to pulling the trigger on it. The batteries that I have will fit and I can run my 3S 2500 in parallel for a 3S 5000. IF it was not so close to X-mas I would have had one today.

Is there any chance that these are going to come down in price soon? Just wondering if they will reduce them next month?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:40 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
not that likely, maybe after the season. but i still reccomend getting new batteries, hobbyking has them for $20-30 so there's no reason not to.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 02:43 AM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Joe View Post
I went and looked at the Slash 2WD brushless today and came so close to pulling the trigger on it. The batteries that I have will fit and I can run my 3S 2500 in parallel for a 3S 5000. IF it was not so close to X-mas I would have had one today.

Is there any chance that these are going to come down in price soon? Just wondering if they will reduce them next month?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Id get it. I just got a 2wd brushed slash, its pretty awesome. Ill be switching it up to brushless soon, but its a great truck, tons of fun.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:15 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
i still reccomend getting new batteries, hobbyking has them for $20-30 so there's no reason not to.
why would he need new lipos if he already has them? the price is probably not going to come down since they have already been out for a while, and also i don't think that really happens with rc's
rcdude123 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude123
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:28 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
The price will drop after a while i believe, but that is a unpredictable amount of time. Just like the rustler and the bandit are at 300 now. There are the same set up as the slash. so my guess is the slash will come down to 300.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude123 View Post
why would he need new lipos if he already has them? the price is probably not going to come down since they have already been out for a while, and also i don't think that really happens with rc's
because the ones he already has might not deliver enough amps and it will probably be easier to just get the standard lipos.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
because the ones he already has might not deliver enough amps and it will probably be easier to just get the standard lipos.
I tried my T-Rex 450 batteries (Thunder Power 3S 2200 mah 30C) and it beats them up pretty good. I just pop in my 25 dollar Turnigy 2s 5000 mAh 40C batteries and that truck will run for days without destroying my lipos. As far as wiring them parallel, it might be hard to fit them in. If he get's the brushed version, 3S will be a little too much for the motor.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage