HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:11 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Question
Grayson Hobby Sukhoi Question

I recently purchased a Grayson Hobby Sukhoi and am in the process of building it. My only problem is I noticed there are no recommendations for control throws and I can't remember if there is one for CG. I was planning on just setting the max throws I can for high rates and probably 1/2 to 1/3 that for low rates. My goal is to have this plane help me continue to learn 3D. Does anyone have any experience with this plane and would be willing to give me recommendations as to what to start with for throws? Thank you.

Fly Safe
JWF
Jus Wanna Fly is offline Find More Posts by Jus Wanna Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 01:19 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,595 Posts
I do not own this plane, But if I were you I would Just set up your low rates, than make your high rates not much higher. Than once you become comfortable with the plane start increasing you high rates to a point that feels good for you. Hope this helps.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2010
146 Posts
I have one. Its a fun plane. The cg on mine is 3.25" behind the le.

For the throws I'd start around 20 degrees till you get the hang of it and then move up from there.

The fuse is fairly thin width wise and prone to tearing. I reinforced it with a really thin strip of fiber packing tape that goes all the way from the nose to the tail.
zeedre is offline Find More Posts by zeedre
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:03 AM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Thank for the advice. I look forward to getting this plane in the air. Zeedre, how much expo do you use?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
Joined Oct 2010
146 Posts
Ha! I have a dx5 at the moment - no expo. I'd tell you that real men don't need expo but really this real man is a bit of a cheepskate so it wouldn't be true. Its certainly a bit jumpy when on the high rates.

There might be a radio with expo under my tree in a few months tho.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:26 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
I see. You're a brave person to fly a 3D foamy without expo. But then again I turned expo off on my Monster Tensor. It was so gentle yet still a ton of fun. I guess I'll just have to eyeball what looks about right expo wise.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:39 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,595 Posts
I fly 3d with my fancy foam yak 55m no mixing or expo and the plane flies like a dream. My thumbs are my expo, I have a DX-7 so I could use expo but I find it makes my planes fly funny to me. I have never used expo on foamys and really do not see where it is needed. I go through my whole 3d routine and have no trouble. Maybe I just setup expo wrong the one time I used it.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
146 Posts
Well, if you switch back and forth between high and low rates depending on what your up to you get by nicely.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:38 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,595 Posts
I will have to give mixing and expo another shot, maybe I just did something wrong. However I have not used any expo and can still fly pretty good. I say just do what ever works for you, and as long as your having fun that is all the counts.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:23 AM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Reguarding expo, I always set my rates first without it. Then I add around 7% to low rate, and as much to high rate as is needed to make the center of the stick move the surfaces about the same as low rate. I determine this by moving the stick a little while switching between rates until I get the same rate of deflection for about the first third of the travel. That way the plane flies very similar to low rate until I give full deflection. Just a tip as to what has worked for me. One more thing, I have never used expo on the rudder being as my JR SX600 only has expo on ailerons and elevator. It works for me though.

Fly Safe
JWF