HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:16 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,721 Posts
A thing to remember, is according to other info available on the HPs, they don't work much under 10 volts. So 4 hours out of a 1600 mA battery (400x4=1600) will be 9 volts if your lucky. I ordered a couple of these cheap lipo alarms;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400148522643
They are supposed to alarm at 3.3 volts per cell (9.9). I'll test to see if the HPs are still working when they report low voltage. I also thought I'd add one to my GS battery.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:29 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,788 Posts
Thanks DayDream. Good to know that a connected battery is still seeing some drain. I'd set mine up for a way to disconnect. Strapping the battery on the outside makes the package bigger. An internal battery would be nicer, but you'd have to open/close the lid all the time. I'll have to see what I've got and what will fit and then toy with how to connect it up.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,444 Posts
Personally, it is all just part of your GS and I think less separate things, the less chance for failure or forgetting to charge something. I am powering my entire GS with (2) 3S 4000 packs in parallel for 8Ah total. I charge them together and they discharge together and power TV, HP goggles, Diversity controller, VRx's. I was even thinking of powering my Sony miniDV recorder from the system, but there is a voltage mismatch as I think it requires 7V so it would require a mini switching voltage regulator, which might introduce some noise back into the system.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
Brigham City, Utah
Joined Nov 2008
153 Posts
Art Newland,
Thanks for the link, if the headplay work's at 9.9v I think I will get one, might add a switch wile I'm at it.

cherokee180c,
I haven't settled in to a consolidated ground station yet, but I agree when I do I'll go that rout.

The main advantage of my mod is bypassing that connector so you get a secure power connection,
so even if you just run it out of the box, you won't have to worry about it getting bumped
and restarting the liberator mid flight.

Cory
DayDream is offline Find More Posts by DayDream
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:27 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,623 Posts
Whenever I download the 1.18 firmware onto the Memory thing, it won't show on the goggles. Is this because it is a zipped file? If so, how do I unzip it? -Tyler
flyboy321 is online now Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:35 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,333 Posts
winrar maybe? Un-zip it, and there will be a folder, drop the contents of the folder into the flash drive. Worked for me..
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,623 Posts
Did that and nothing? -Tyler
flyboy321 is online now Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,333 Posts
make it look like this.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Or just integrate into your GS like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=220

Low voltage alarm now for everything including HP goggles. Power and Video/Audio from a single Ethernet Cable. Nice and neat.
Cherokee,

When I fly FPV, I like to stand up and walk around a bit, rather than sitting down... but the HP cable between the Liberator box and the goggle is too short (perhaps only 5 feet).

Does your GS allow you to stand up and walk around a bit, while flying, with the GS on the ground?

Do you have some sort of cable extension, between the Liberator box and the goggle head set?

Thanks,
Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:00 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Whenever I download the 1.18 firmware onto the Memory thing, it won't show on the goggles. Is this because it is a zipped file? If so, how do I unzip it? -Tyler
You have to unzip the file onto the root director on a USB thumb drive...i.e. NOT inside any folders. Once the files are on the root directory you update via the HP menu. I did it with no difficulties...just takes a few minutes deleting the old firmware and installing the new.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:31 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines View Post
Cherokee,

When I fly FPV, I like to stand up and walk around a bit, rather than sitting down... but the HP cable between the Liberator box and the goggle is too short (perhaps only 5 feet).

Does your GS allow you to stand up and walk around a bit, while flying, with the GS on the ground?

Do you have some sort of cable extension, between the Liberator box and the goggle head set?

Thanks,
Kevin
No, as I am currently flying for 30 minute flights and I am happy to sit back and enjoy. Walking around with goggles on your head when you can't see anything is not the safest practice to me. I stand up plenty when I fly my big planes or helicopters, so I don't need to move around for fpv.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
if you are using Windows, put the zipped folder on your desktop, double click to open the folder, drag the files out of the folder to your desktop, copy the files onto the root directory of you USB drive. (mine came with a USB drive)
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
No, as I am currently flying for 30 minute flights and I am happy to sit back and enjoy. Walking around with goggles on your head when you can't see anything is not the safest practice to me. I stand up plenty when I fly my big planes or helicopters, so I don't need to move around for fpv.
Hi Cherokee,

Thanks for clarifying...

I fly FPV (currenly with R-Vision goggles, soon with my new HP's), standing up, and intentionally not using any light shields, other than a wide-brim hat pulled down...

I do this for a few reasons... #1 reason is situational awareness... I fly parkfliers, in public parks, often alone, and I want to see who is around me, in case anyone is walking up, so that I don't try to land where folks are walking, etc....

Hence my desire to extend the length of the cable between the Liberator box and the goggles.

Thanks for your reply.

Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:19 PM
Time's fun when ya havin flies
Qld, AU
Joined Sep 2007
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
A thing to remember, is according to other info available on the HPs, they don't work much under 10 volts. So 4 hours out of a 1600 mA battery (400x4=1600) will be 9 volts if your lucky. I ordered a couple of these cheap lipo alarms;
They are supposed to alarm at 3.3 volts per cell (9.9). I'll test to see if the HPs are still working when they report low voltage. I also thought I'd add one to my GS battery.
Good one, Art.
I've already got one of those not being used.....
It will be now !
cncoz is offline Find More Posts by cncoz
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:40 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Yeah, I got one of those for my quad. Mine came from RCTimer: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...gcat=57&gtype= for a few cents less and free shipping. I'm thinking of another for the Liberator battery.
RCG Plus Member