HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,083 Posts
Another mounting possibility. Use a skate board helmet like in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=13 . Mount the liberator in the top of the helmet like in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14 then mount a flip up visor painted black for light blocking: http://www.harborfreight.com/face-sh...sor-96542.html . This might provide the best of all worlds...an all-in-one unit, lighter and cooler on the head, and a flip up visor for light blocking, and can be assembled for ~$30-$40 dollars. That would give me a a total cost of ~$150 ($108 for the HP on sale and <$40 for the helmet and light blocking visor.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I bought the connector mentioned in post #8, fits fine. I have a couple of older Thunderpower 2000ish 3s lipos that still charge and balance OK, but power is down under load, so I'll use these to power my Headplays. I just tapped into the balance plug. I hope to find a project box of some lind to mount the liberator to, to hold the battery.
Hi Art,

Thanks! I'm glad to hear the Radio Shack power plugs are working for you... I just picked up a couple of these.

That's a cool idea to tap into the Lipo's balance plug, to power the HP...

What concerns or issues are there tapping into the Lipo's balance plug, vs. using the Deans connector, and how do you avoid this issues? ... for example, risk of reverse voltage polarization, risk of unplugging from the balance plug during a flight, etc...?

Thanks,
Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
The way I understand it, using the 18r firmware stops the low frame rate problem. I installed the 18r (came with 20r installed) and played with them, even totally removing video signal, display came back immediately when reconnected.
Art,

Thanks! That's a good experiment... you are providing helpful info... that's good to know the signal will come back quickly.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
For the HP, that darn Liberator is not very liberating. I read of using a belt clip and such to keep it from cable/plug damage...
Hi Van, Thanks!

Cool info... would you happen to have a link to the belt clip info? ...especially with pictures?

Quote:
Another mounting possibility. Use a skate board helmet like in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=13 . Mount the liberator in the top of the helmet like in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14 then mount a flip up visor painted black for light blocking: http://www.harborfreight.com/face-sh...sor-96542.html . This might provide the best of all worlds...an all-in-one unit, lighter and cooler on the head, and a flip up visor for light blocking...
Thanks for sharing this info... the bike/skating helmet looks a lot more comfortable than the motorcycle helmet...

While I plan to go with a belt clip... I certainly appreciate the thought you are putting into your helmet mount...

Thanks for shaing this great information!

Kevin
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,356 Posts
Here's some HP mods I've done.

Pic 1: Side light blocking velcro with Flytron headtracker and video Rx antenna mounted next to it.

Pic 2: Front view.

Pic 3: Bottom light blocking velcro strips with one removed.

Pic 4: Liberator with video reciever velcro'd into battery compartment. Hot glue used to secure A/V DIN plug and goggles/liberator connector.

Pic 5: Liberator with belt loop made out of wide velcro. I velcro an 1800mAH 3S lipo to this side, to power goggles and video Rx for a few hours.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post

Pic 1: Side light blocking velcro with Flytron headtracker and video Rx antenna mounted next to it.

Pic 4: Liberator with video reciever velcro'd into battery compartment. Hot glue used to secure A/V DIN plug and goggles/liberator connector.

Pic 5: Liberator with belt loop made out of wide velcro. I velcro an 1800mAH 3S lipo to this side, to power goggles and video Rx for a few hours.
Patrick,

WOW! AWESOME mods!

I'm going to study your work for a bit, before I post questions... there are so many great mods in your photos... this is exactly the sort of info I'm seeking...

Thanks!!!

Kevin
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines View Post
... would you happen to have a link to the belt clip info? ...especially with pictures?
Nope, I've read about it, but never seen a picture (except what patricklupo just posted). I'm still milling over ideas. Patricks setup looks pretty good really. I don't have a head tracker and mounting my VRx to the liberator wouldn't work for me (using large 900mHz patch antenna)...but the velcro'd battery/belt strap and light blockers has their merits. As I think about it, it'd probably be better to start simple/cheap before dropping more cash on a helmet type setup. Good stuff going on here.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:27 PM
KISS
Serbia, Central Serbia, Belgrade
Joined Oct 2009
1,181 Posts
@kevinhines

if you could update first post with the potentially useful answers for each of the questions would be great.

Thanks
hefest is offline Find More Posts by hefest
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:42 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post

Nice job patricklupo!
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:14 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines View Post
Hi Art,

Thanks! I'm glad to hear the Radio Shack power plugs are working for you... I just picked up a couple of these.

That's a cool idea to tap into the Lipo's balance plug, to power the HP...

What concerns or issues are there tapping into the Lipo's balance plug, vs. using the Deans connector, and how do you avoid this issues? ... for example, risk of reverse voltage polarization, risk of unplugging from the balance plug during a flight, etc...?

Thanks,
Kevin
I have about an hours worth of watching video on my Headplays, looks like I should be able to get a couple hours of use on a 2000. The balance plugs on the Thunderpowers have a clip that snaps them in place and has to be squeezed to be released. I think the wiring is plenty large enough to handle the HP's .4 amps. The balance plugs are polarized, make sure you have the polarity correct when you solder it up, I checked the four batteries I have with Thunderpower balance plugs... they were all the same. YMMV
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:46 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,356 Posts
The only difficult mod was cutting the bottom light blocking strips properly. For that you need to use some sort of putty or even a piece of wire that can take an impression of the curve of your face, just under your eyes. That way you can accurately cut the outline of the velcro to match the curve of your face, to block out light effectively.

Even then, the edge of the velcro strips felt a bit sharp on my face, so I took a butane lighter to the velcro edges to soften them up a bit. Light from the top and sides are completely blocked, while about %90 from the bottom is. I think if I found a bit of T shaped rubber to attach to the bottom strips it would be 100%, but as is, it's pretty good in direct sunlight.

The best source material I found is to get a 15ft x 2" Velcro brand roll; got mine from OSH hardware.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:48 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Another mounting possibility. Use a skate board helmet like in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=13 . Mount the liberator in the top of the helmet like in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14 then mount a flip up visor painted black for light blocking: http://www.harborfreight.com/face-sh...sor-96542.html . This might provide the best of all worlds...an all-in-one unit, lighter and cooler on the head, and a flip up visor for light blocking, and can be assembled for ~$30-$40 dollars. That would give me a a total cost of ~$150 ($108 for the HP on sale and <$40 for the helmet and light blocking visor.

I use face shields like that at work, they are real annoying to flip up. Especially the ones without the head harness. I like the helmet rigs because they are so practical but I cant get over looking like a crazy tin foil hat man in the middle of a corn field.

Has anyone put a quality 2.4 or 5.8ghz receiver in the liberator to get a signal from a dedicated GS? I mean, having your video sent from the air to the ground then over air to your head set will reduce the quality some but its a thought.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:20 PM
Brigham City, Utah
Joined Nov 2008
153 Posts
this mod is now obsolete
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401970

My mod to power the HP with a 3S lipo.

I tapped right to the board, this may void you warranty

1)Five screws hold the battery tray and everything else together, middle screw
is under the white seal.

2)It will all come apart at this point so don't lose any parts, and mind the
thermal grease.

3)Locate the power plug connections. (the two at the very back of the
connector.)

4)Use your expert soldering skills to connect red on the card slot side, and
the black on the battery pins side.

5)Using tin snips cut the square hole for the battery pins about 3mm longer
on the aluminum plate and bend it up to make room for your wires to go by.

6)At this point before you screw it together you going to want to check your
work by plugging in the a/c adapter, use a multimeter to check the voltage
and polarity 12.10v, red+, black- you know...

(WARNING: do not power up the board without it put together with the heat sink.)
DayDream is offline Find More Posts by DayDream
Last edited by DayDream; Apr 13, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:43 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Or just integrate into your GS like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=220

Low voltage alarm now for everything including HP goggles. Power and Video/Audio from a single Ethernet Cable. Nice and neat.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:55 PM
Joined Jun 2010
618 Posts
MP4 File Problems

According to the specifications, the HeadPlay goggles are supposed to play MP4 files. My goggles see the files, but will not play them. I get a "load error" prompt.

The HeadPlay support people said the problem was that I was trying to use the USB port and that I should get the compact flash card because it was faster. I tried that with the same result.

I think I might be getting the runaround. Any suggestions gentlemen?

Cliff K.
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot