Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:33 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Discussion
HeadPlay Goggle Mods for FPV - Please Advise

Hello Experienced HeadPlay Goggle FPV Pilots:

Background: I have flown FPV since 2007, using RangeVideo's R-Vision goggles and they have worked well.

I just bought a set of HeadPlay goggles, and I'd like advice from the experienced HeadPlay FPV pilots, about recommended mods to ready the HP goggles for FPV, please.

So far, I've tested my recently-arrived Headplays with my FPV aircraft sitting on the bench, and I love the adjustable IPD and the focus ability... so far, the image quality is great.

I want to optimize the performance of the HP's for FPV, so...

Here are my questions:

1 - Which HeadPlay firmware update is best for FPV, and why?

2 - Are there any concerns, risks, issues, in transitioning to the HeadPlays which I should be aware of, and what are the recommended fixes/corrections?

3 - Under what circumstances can the HeadPlays lose the ability to properly display FPV video imagery, and how can I prevent this from happening? For example: a lot of static?, etc.

4 - Can the HeadPlay enter a "blue screen of death", and if so, how can I prevent this, and/or most quickly restore good imagery?

5 - After a loss of power, how long do the HeadPlays take to restart showing useful FPV imagery, and what measures can be taken to shorten the time to reestablish good FPV video imagery?

6 - I plan to make a stiff cover over the power button, so that it can't be accidentally pressed during an FPV flight... what are your recommendations for a power button protector?

7 - I plan to power the Liberator box from a 3S Lipo; are there any concerns or potential issues with doing so?

8 - What size is the 12V barrel power adaptor that is needed? Please post a link.

9 - I'd like to extend the cord between the goggles and the Liberator box; is there an extension cable available to do this? Please post a link. Ideally, I'd like to leave the Liberator box inside my FPV ground station, while I walk around at the end of a long (i.e., 15 to 20 feet/5 to 7 meter long) cable.

10 - If I cannot extend the cable between the goggles and the box, then I expect I will need to wear the box on me while flying FPV... I am considering making a belt clip for the box. Are there any issues with doing so? And if you have made any device for wearing the box, please post photos, so that I can understand your mounting method.

11 - Are there any potential mounting hardware issues with removing the visor? I plan to remove the sun visor, and keep the head mount. I plan to wear a hat with a large visor, so that when needed, I can lift my hat up, in order to look upward for the model.

12 - How can I strengthen & protect all of the cable connections at the box, so that they cannot come loose or lose connection during an FPV flight? I may hotglue and ziptie all cable connectors, but I'm wondering if there are better solutions?

13 - What other mods are recommended for preparing the HP's for FPV?

Thanks!

Kevin

PS - I have searched through the existing threads, and I did find some answers about cable connections, in the following threads, but those threads seem to be focused on other aspects of the goggles from what I am looking for... and I didn't want to hijack those threads... thus, I am posting this as a new thread...

Please don't discuss comparisons between the various goggles... threads already exist on those topics... and I just bought the HP's & am in need of advice about the HP's for FPV... Thanks!

-Good thread on HP mods: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=headplay
-thread on HP vs FS: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331891

EDIT: Downloading the Firmware:
Since the Headplay.com web site is down, some folks have asked me where to download the preferred firmware (at least it's preferred for NTSC video, in the US)... you can download the firmware from RangeVideo, who seems to be selling the remaining inventory of HeadPlay goggles... go to this page, and download & install firmware version 1.18r, http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=218
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Last edited by kevinhines; Aug 22, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:10 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
Glad to see this thread, hope it yields lots of good info.
Pretty new to FPV. and bought the Headplays on sale too. from what I've read, 4mmx1.7mm for the power plug. I hope to confirm this at radio shack tonight. Would love to see some creative ideas on keeping light out from around the goggles. Seems as though lots are using 3S lipo, but I guess you need to be care of voltage dropping below 10v.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Yep hoping for some good info too.

I too was thinking about "wearing" them on me as someone said in another thread that the cord can't be extended(idk why headplay or some other company don't make an extension cable as I imagine it'd be popular).

But messing with the headplays today the plug in adapter fell out a few times despite the libarator box being on my bed not being moved. So if they are to be worn a method of being sure it doesn't fall out would need to be devised. Especially seeing as it seems like the headplays take maybe 10 seconds to start up fully and you then have to select the source via the menu!
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:20 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
Somewhere I saw a post by Hauntme13 where he replaced the goggle connector with a centronic (printer cable) style plug. Very tough soldering job. Some hot-glue the plugs in... seems a little barbaric however. 8^)

cable mod;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326474
Last edited by Art Newland; Nov 19, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:29 PM
FPVEEE ED
Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2010
293 Posts

A: 1.18r and NTSC. Why ? Because it's the only that can show static

2 - Are there any concerns, risks, issues, in transitioning to the HeadPlays which I should be aware of, and what are the recommended fixes/corrections?

A: Plug that connects the goggles to liberator can develop bad contacts. Possible solutions are provided on numerous threads. Also, original battery is crap... Charging it from the liberator is not efficient, so charge it from your personnal charger or you can use a 3S lipo.

3 - Under what circumstances can the HeadPlays lose the ability to properly display FPV video imagery, and how can I prevent this from happening? For example: a lot of static?, etc.

A: Battery down... Plug... Nothing else if using 1.18r firmware and NTSC system

4 - Can the HeadPlay enter a "blue screen of death", and if so, how can I prevent this, and/or most quickly restore good imagery?

A: No if using 1.18r firmware and NTSC

5 - After a loss of power, how long do the HeadPlays take to restart showing useful FPV imagery, and what measures can be taken to shorten the time to reestablish good FPV video imagery?

A: 15-30 seconds boot time + a couple of seconds to get to the menu + 2 seconds to acquire video.

6 - I plan to make a stiff cover over the power button, so that it can't be accidentally pressed during an FPV flight... what are your recommendations for a power button protector?

A: I have no problems with the power button, it's already stiff enough. But if you want more security, add some "cola bottle" plastic over it.

7 - I plan to power the Liberator box from a 3S Lipo; are there any concerns or potential issues with doing so?

A: The only thing is the remaining battery indicator that do not show if power plug is used to plug the lipo.

8 - What size is the 12V barrel power adaptor that is needed? Please post a link.

A: Don't know I remember reading something about that in the forum. Do a search

9 - I'd like to extend the cord between the goggles and the Liberator box; is there an extension cable available to do this? Please post a link. Ideally, I'd like to leave the Liberator box inside my FPV ground station, while I walk around at the end of a long (i.e., 15 to 20 feet/5 to 7 meter long) cable.

A: Extension: No. You can make your own...

10 - If I cannot extend the cable between the goggles and the box, then I expect I will need to wear the box on me while flying FPV... I am considering making a belt clip for the box. Are there any issues with doing so? And if you have made any device for wearing the box, please post photos, so that I can understand your mounting method.

A: No. Works like a charm. Just be sure the liberator is securely attached... I'm using a fabric tissue bag i bought at a "dollar" shop...

11 - Are there any potential mounting hardware issues with removing the visor? I plan to remove the sun visor, and keep the head mount. I plan to wear a hat with a large visor, so that when needed, I can lift my hat up, in order to look upward for the model.

A: ...

12 - How can I strengthen & protect all of the cable connections at the box, so that they cannot come loose or lose connection during an FPV flight? I may hotglue and ziptie all cable connectors, but I'm wondering if there are better solutions?

A: Electric tape over plug and hot glue over tape so you can remove it easily.

13 - What other mods are recommended for preparing the HP's for FPV?

A: Hum... None ?!
ecampos is offline Find More Posts by ecampos
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:41 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,932 Posts
Anyone use these with pal signal, what firmware is best?

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:55 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
936 Posts
I found the power connector size: 1.7mmx4mm center positive. Info snagged from a post in one of the other threads. Credit goes to uknown poster.
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Ecampos, Art, Po73, and Ndw:

Wow! Thanks for many helpful answers! A friend had told me firmware 1.18r was best but I didn't know why... thanks for explaining...

15 to 30 seconds to reboot & regain imagery... sounds like the best solution is to make sure power is never, ever lost.

Electrical tape before hot glueing... good idea!

I see Radio Shack has 4mm x 1.7mm connectors as part # 274-1532, here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102598 ...

... although the length on this Radio Shack plug looks a bit short... anyone know if there is a longer version, which perhaps would be less likely to pull out?

I don't have the soldering skills needed to do the soldering to the printed circuit board, as shown in the linked thread... I wonder if there is some easier way?

I can solder to a connector... so thats what I plan to do... rather than solder to a PCB.

I would LOVE to purchase a long cable extension to go between the goggle and the box...

Others... Please keep the answers coming...

Thanks guys!

Kevin

PS - Mark, I don't know the answer... good luck finding the PAL info!

EDIT: An even better power plug connetor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs View Post
This DigiKey plug suggested by Zio has two major advantages over the Radio Shack plug:

1. It's a right-angle plug, which is better, for a more compact package...

2. This plug comes with the wires already attached to the connector, saving some work to solder to the very small (tiny!) Radio Shack connector's metal tabs... I had to use a magnifier lens to see the soldering I did, on the RS connector.

Zio, Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by kevinhines; Nov 25, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:44 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
It's a cryin' shame it can't RECORD to the USB inputs....
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampos View Post

A: 1.18r and NTSC. Why ? Because it's the only that can show static
Where can I get the 1.18r firmware?
I didn't see anything about it on the headplay site.
Thanks, Bill

edit.... I found it.

http://www.headplay.com/downloads.html
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:59 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker View Post
Where can I get the 1.18r firmware?
I didn't see anything about it on the headplay site.
Thanks, Bill

edit.... I found it.

http://www.headplay.com/downloads.html
I just upgraded the firmware on my HP to the recommended 1.18r ... it was easier than I expected.

Kevin
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:47 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Its funny how its called the 'Liberator' but in reality its a titanic anchor, other than that I'm happy with the set.

It would be nice if someone found a place to buy the correct power adapter so I wouldn't have to splice off the only plug. My goal is to deans it so I can run it off my 3S.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:04 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
I bought the connector mentioned in post #8, fits fine. I have a couple of older Thunderpower 2000ish 3s lipos that still charge and balance OK, but power is down under load, so I'll use these to power my Headplays. I just tapped into the balance plug. I hope to find a project box of some lind to mount the liberator to, to hold the battery.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:04 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Its funny how its called the 'Liberator' but in reality its a titanic anchor, other than that I'm happy with the set.

It would be nice if someone found a place to buy the correct power adapter so I wouldn't have to splice off the only plug. My goal is to deans it so I can run it off my 3S.
Ha totally agree.

It's a great product but that liberator thing is at best a boat anchor.

It could all be wireless like the FS.

For the price I paid for these Video goggles I can not complain one bit.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:25 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,649 Posts
If you don't make a rock solid connection for the liberator you will regret the saveings you made in the HP purchase

you will loose a plane
that is far more costly than the saveings on a HP deal for $100

the HP are very very unreliable
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22