Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Discussion
Need some help....no dope,how about painting tissue.UPDATE:Tiger Moth is painted

Hi
I'm new at building and have built a dumas walnut scale de havilland tiger moth.
Followed the directions and glued the edges with elmers thinned 50% with water.
Lightly misted it to tighten up the tissue and it came out very nice.

Couple questions mabey some of you more exp guys....could help me out.

Has anyone ever painted there tissue covered plane with spray paint?

I have been told i could use dope,i don't have any,the model is already done and i'm not to keen on how the tissue looks as far as being slightly transparent.

Gave a test piece a light coating with a spray can clear coat.
It did come out good but it made the tissue kind of transparent and i would rather not be able to see through it so well..lol

I was thinking of painting it to seal it and at the same time change the color.

Has anyone done that...painted there tissue covered plane with spray paint?

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Nov 20, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:05 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,706 Posts
Yep, but I seal the tissue first with a couple of coats of dope.
You might try a couple of light coats of the clear you experimented with to seal the tissue first.

Problem with spraying unsealed tissue is it absorbs the paint which makes the tissue go limp. Sometimes it will tighten back up as the paint dries, sometimes it won't, it depends on the paint. Also paint is heavy, the less you use the better.

Light mist coats of a lacquer type paint works best, it doesn't take much to achieve the opaque result you are looking for.

Got any pics of your completed model to share?

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Yes i do have a couple pics but the are not to clear....i'll get a couple clear ones and post em up.

This is what i did....I made a small frame...glued the tissue to the edges.

Then i hit it with one coat of Dupli Color Acrylic clear coat...spray can paint from the auto parts store...or wally world..lol

When i did that it made the tissue kind of transparent...like the tissue had the wet look.

I did not like that look.

So i gave it a coat of silver Tamiya Color for plastics...it is paint i have used on lexan rc truck bodies.

It really looked nice and it is the look i am after.
But the tissue was a little loose...i had forgot to shrink it before i painted it..lol

So it could make the tissue not tighten up...hmmmm....i really don't like the transparent look...hmmm

Let me get some pics .....

Ridgewalker
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:43 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
You can use light coats of Krylon clear. I mix Testor's Model Masters paints into nitrate dope and run it through my airbrush. Any body doing full size aircraft work might have some nitrate dope around.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
I've never tried the spray methods suggested so far. I brush on thinned nitrate dope, sanding lightly between coats, until I get a nice smooth finish. I ususally mix in some talcum powder for the final coat.

It's very light and takes paint well.

When trying new finishing techniques I try to experiment on scrap before trying on the model - based on bitter experience.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Here are a few pics....sory they are not so clear...

It has a 4 site motor in it an msr brick and a sukhoi su 26 gearbox.
It weighs 47g

On to the pics..................

Ridgewalker
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
4Scale.....that looks very nice....and the pic before is what i am talking about as far as being transparent.....it looks so much better painted.

What is the reason for tissue,is the tissue just a light weight substrate to apply a finish coat to?...say in place of useing something like paper to cover it which would be more heavy?

Is the idea to make the tissue into a hard type of surface that is very thin?....like an egg shell?

Sorry for the wacky questions but it seems depending on where you ask people treat the tissue different....some seem to like the "see through look" and i get the feeling it is "wrong" to not have the tissue look..lol...and others like 4 Scale seem to like the real look...lol

I like the real look too.

I just don't want to go and paint it and ya know....have the tissue become loose and then have a real job to straighten it out...lol....mabey i need to just cross my fingers and hope for the best..lol

Ridgewalker
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,706 Posts
Strip the tissue off your test frame and try again to test your paint. Sounds like what you have will work.
Water shrink the tissue first, spray on the clear and let it dry completly then dust with the color.

The two models in the pic are covered with tissue. Two coats of dope applied then a light coat of Model Master Acrylic sprayed through the airbrush. Decals applied then a light coat of polyurethane sprayed on to protect the decals.
Glenn
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:57 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Ok so i should do a clear coat first to seal it....and let it dry.

Should i use a hairdryer to speed the dry time or let it air dry...it's 38 % humidity in the house and that is where i will be doing the painting...yes i have ventilation..lol

Ridgewalker
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:51 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,706 Posts
Let it air dry overnight before the color coat.
Glenn
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:14 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Thanks Glenn.

I gave it several coats with the dupli color clear coat...a light coat..more like a dusting then i hit it with a hairdryer on high heat med fan...then spray again..little by little and use the hair dryer between each coat.

Came out good!!no loose tissue!!!

And now it has a semi gloss look to it...i'll let it dry overnight.....and it only added 1g of weight.

Ridgewalker
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:31 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,706 Posts
Good job.
Semi-gloss it what you want.That tells you the tissue pores are getting filled.
Sounds like it's ready for the color after it cures a bit.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:20 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,513 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track. I also do not like dope and will use just about anything else.

I used tissue on a plane a while ago and used water based polyurethane varnish. Did not work all that well as future painting with water based stuff would wrinkle it. It would always tighten up, but, with really humid weather it would soften up again.

I think you are going the right way with solvent based paints.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
After clear coat

Here are a few pics after i did the clear coat....didn't count how many coats but i just kept doing it till it looked semi gloss....many many thin coats...i would spray it and you could hear the paint hit the surface,hard to explain i guess..lol

I did the best i could to get close up so you could see how it looks...it looks bumps and high gloss but that is because it is so close up...it is smooth and even.

I used tape for my hinges and applied it before i knew i need to seal the tissue...to remove it might rip the tissue so i left it when i did the clear coat...live and learn..lol

Was going to use tamiya silver leaf paint...seems like silver is the only other color i see the tiger moth besides yellow or green and yellow or blue and yellow (i'm talking about military paint schemes).

Really....i wanted to make it look like a german biplane....i'm still looking but i have not found any pics of a tiger moth with a german paint scheme.

On to the pics....

Ridgewalker
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:26 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,706 Posts
I know what you mean about hearing the paint hit the tissue.
Looks like you have enough clear on there now and it's ready for the color coat.