HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:21 AM
Howdy Doody
Yorkshire, England, UK
Joined Sep 2004
210 Posts
Discussion
I would like a charger that...

...allows me to charge individual cells within a lipo pack. For example, i have a 3S pack where two cells are resting marginally over 3V and one cell is borderline 3V. However, when i connect my Hobby Lobby balancer & guard, by the time the cells have balanced my basic Graupner Lipo Charger 4 won't allow charging to start as it detects the pack voltage as an error, ie below 9V on the 3S pack (like is said this is extremely marginal!!). I'd like the opportunity to charge this pack back up and see how it acts rather than just binning it.

I would also like said charger to have features such as built in balancer, individual cell monitoring, discharge function etc. Dual input (ac/dc) would also be useful.

As mentioned, upto now i've got by with a basic Graupner item and external balancer but i would like something a little better/more advanced now. Have had a good search but can't see anything that states individual cell charging function

Can anyone help?!

Rob
GWSRobster is offline Find More Posts by GWSRobster
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:48 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Nio dischargfe and no AC power but a great true 4 channel Lipoly charger.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=dn+power

If you do an Advanced Search using DN Power exact match in Title there are many threads on this charger.

It has been out of production for years now however. Common Sense RC use to sell ones which were clones of it and they perhaps still do.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:59 AM
Howdy Doody
Yorkshire, England, UK
Joined Sep 2004
210 Posts
Great reply, looks like the kind of thing i am looking for

Will do the search and see what i can find.

Again, i thank you.

Rob
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:14 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,805 Posts
Rob, what Charles said.
I have, well, too many of those in my shop as they are my second favorite chargers but they pop up from time to time in the for sale forum.

You would have to use a reverser ALL the time as they are backwards to the now common JST-XH pinouts. IMO, hot glue the reverser to the charger so it can never be removed easily.
I know of a local fb selling 2 of them for $60. Not a bad deal for something that used to sell for $99.
Here is his ad in our club forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2323

Hint - But both; you can use two of these in parallel with a custom harness and charge at up to 4 amps constant.
Disclaimer - Do NOT try this with ANY other charger or they will be damaged. These DN/CSRC chargers will do this, I have put as many as 4 in parallel only to find out the pins can't handle more than 4A constant.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:52 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSRobster View Post
i have a 3S pack where two cells are resting marginally over 3V and one cell is borderline 3V. However, when i connect my Hobby Lobby balancer & guard, by the time the cells have balanced my basic Graupner Lipo Charger 4 won't allow charging to start as it detects the pack voltage as an error, ie below 9V on the 3S pack (like is said this is extremely marginal!!). I'd like the opportunity to charge this pack back up and see how it acts rather than just binning it.
You are overdischarging your packs, as you are probably aware. Attaching a balancer to your discharged packs makes this situation worse. Lipolys should never be balanced in a discharged state as cell capacity within a pack can vary and balancing while discharged will create an imbalance when charged, where cell-to-cell balance is critical.

You can bring your overdischarged pack to a voltage that can be charged by your charger by connecting it to a charged pack of the same cell count for a short period of time. You can use a resistor to limit current flow like this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255751

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSRobster View Post
...allows me to charge individual cells within a lipo pack.
Nearly all decent quality balancing chargers will allow charging of individual cells through the balance tap. Simply fabricate an adapter (see below pics), connect to the balance tap, and proceed charging as a 1S pack. I recommend the iCharger family of chargers.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:40 AM
Howdy Doody
Yorkshire, England, UK
Joined Sep 2004
210 Posts
Nippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
You are overdischarging your packs, as you are probably aware. Attaching a balancer to your discharged packs makes this situation worse. Lipolys should never be balanced in a discharged state as cell capacity within a pack can vary and balancing while discharged will create an imbalance when charged, where cell-to-cell balance is critical.

You can bring your overdischarged pack to a voltage that can be charged by your charger by connecting it to a charged pack of the same cell count for a short period of time. You can use a resistor to limit current flow like this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255751

Nearly all decent quality balancing chargers will allow charging of individual cells through the balance tap. Simply fabricate an adapter (see below pics), connect to the balance tap, and proceed charging as a 1S pack. I recommend the iCharger family of chargers.

Mark
Thanks Mark :-)

More sound advice. Yes I'm aware that particular pack has been subject to overuse! I do always fly to timers but on a couple of occasions have just gone on a bit long!

Cheers
Rob