SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined May 2011
84 Posts
SUCCESS , maiden flight was a success
Take of was little bumpy cause i didnt put any expo on the steering, but other than that nice take off, little trim and flew fantastic. love this bird
Blasturbator is offline Find More Posts by Blasturbator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:54 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
did you do fixed or retract gear?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined May 2011
84 Posts
yeah got it fixed and flew great
Blasturbator is offline Find More Posts by Blasturbator
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
cool man, good to hear!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasturbator View Post
SUCCESS , maiden flight was a success
Take of was little bumpy cause i didnt put any expo on the steering, but other than that nice take off, little trim and flew fantastic. love this bird
Congrats on the successful maiden!
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
mine should be ready for maiden soon. I had that whole thing happen when you run out of money! haha. I only need a few extensions, and 3 to 1 plug (for retracts) and a Y connector to put one rudder and the steering wheel on the same channel. Receiver is bound and TX is programed.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Good luck Dan! Hopefully mine will only be a couple of weeks away. Waiting on motor and lipos. You go with the Delta V or the 2100kv and CS? I hope you went with the CS10. That fan is the only reason I have a jet. Love jets, just hate the traditional edf whine!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Good luck Dan! Hopefully mine will only be a couple of weeks away. Waiting on motor and lipos. You go with the Delta V or the 2100kv and CS? I hope you went with the CS10. That fan is the only reason I have a jet. Love jets, just hate the traditional edf whine!
I too have a CS fan and I can't wait to use it. I'm just not sure which motor(s) are best suited for this fan, I'm also torn between using it in this airframe or one of my RC Lander airframes.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:59 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Im gonna run the delta v for now...i may change later but its already balanced and i am not very good with balancing...so while the delta v is in the plane i can try to balance the 2100 on the CS. I will get some pics of my little stand i made to test with too.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
I'm eager to see your results.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Maiden my bird on Monday, I bought the ARF and the only two problems I ran into during the build was the ball links on the retracts which was resolved here reading through the posts (Thanks!) and I had to cut some foam to push the battery back to achieve the proper CG. Battery I used was the recommended 2200 mah. Take off was a little rough there was a crosswind so any rough movement on the rudder would make the plane tip on its wing, very frustrating. Finally got the plane in the air and realized it was flying super slow to my taste, flew the whole time on WOT. I had the timer on my remote set for 3.5 minutes and at 3min the motor shut down on low battery. I’m not sure if it was the battery or WOT but, yeah, DEADSTICK!!! Brought her in for a landing and it wasn’t to bad couple bounces later she was off on the grass with no damage. Final thought must upgrade the motor but thinking on how to do it with spending least amount of money, but yet something functional. I thought about keeping stock fan and trying to fit this motor on there, anyone try the stock fan with better motor?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7993

OH Forgot to say it did look amazing up in the air and flew great. I would just like it to be faster. Its definitely worth spending the time and a little extra money to get it flying way you would like.
Mikep0011 is offline Find More Posts by Mikep0011
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:41 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
Glad your F-18 flight went well. A lot of pilots, myself included, have changed the fan,motor, or both to attain more speed. This is a very draggy jet. I'll be putting in my CS fan soon.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:07 PM
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikep0011 View Post
Maiden my bird on Monday, I bought the ARF and the only two problems I ran into during the build was the ball links on the retracts which was resolved here reading through the posts (Thanks!) and I had to cut some foam to push the battery back to achieve the proper CG. Battery I used was the recommended 2200 mah. Take off was a little rough there was a crosswind so any rough movement on the rudder would make the plane tip on its wing, very frustrating. Finally got the plane in the air and realized it was flying super slow to my taste, flew the whole time on WOT. I had the timer on my remote set for 3.5 minutes and at 3min the motor shut down on low battery. Iím not sure if it was the battery or WOT but, yeah, DEADSTICK!!! Brought her in for a landing and it wasnít to bad couple bounces later she was off on the grass with no damage. Final thought must upgrade the motor but thinking on how to do it with spending least amount of money, but yet something functional. I thought about keeping stock fan and trying to fit this motor on there, anyone try the stock fan with better motor?

OH Forgot to say it did look amazing up in the air and flew great. I would just like it to be faster. Its definitely worth spending the time and a little extra money to get it flying way you would like.
Congrats on getting her down safely deadstick. I think the motor you linked is probably a litttle low on kv for the stock fan. 3rd-dem is running a HET 2w20 with the stock fan on 4s, and his looks to fly very well, but I dont know how many amps/watts he is pulling with that setup. This out runner with stand off is about the same kv as the 2w20....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...70mm_EDF_.html

You WILL need bigger lipos when you start pulling allot more amps, as Im sure you know. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikep0011 View Post
Maiden my bird on Monday, I bought the ARF and the only two problems I ran into during the build was the ball links on the retracts which was resolved here reading through the posts (Thanks!) and I had to cut some foam to push the battery back to achieve the proper CG. Battery I used was the recommended 2200 mah. Take off was a little rough there was a crosswind so any rough movement on the rudder would make the plane tip on its wing, very frustrating. Finally got the plane in the air and realized it was flying super slow to my taste, flew the whole time on WOT. I had the timer on my remote set for 3.5 minutes and at 3min the motor shut down on low battery. Iím not sure if it was the battery or WOT but, yeah, DEADSTICK!!! Brought her in for a landing and it wasnít to bad couple bounces later she was off on the grass with no damage. Final thought must upgrade the motor but thinking on how to do it with spending least amount of money, but yet something functional. I thought about keeping stock fan and trying to fit this motor on there, anyone try the stock fan with better motor?

I'm using a HET 2W-20 on the stock fan and a 2650 and sometimes a 3000 mah lipo and love it!!
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:07 PM
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
I'm using a HET 2W-20 on the stock fan and a 2650 and sometimes a 3000 mah lipo and love it!!
Ever put a watt meter on it?