HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:52 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savall21 View Post
Nice! What is your setup in that?
Thanks, HET 2W-20/ stock fan in a Skyworld metal shroud/ Hobbywing 80amp pentium esc/ Sky lipo 40c-4s-3000mah battery.I'm also using a BEC with 450mah 3s for the electronics.
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:20 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
465 Posts
Put my RC Lander fan back in, went up for a flight and the motor shut off. Used a SkyLipo 4000 30c. Picked up the plane and the motor was HOT! Just the motor. Battery was fine, ESC was fairly warm but the motor stayed hot for about 10 minutes. Went to throttle back up and it was cogging. Don't know what's wrong. Hope I didn't kill the motor.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
Thanks, HET 2W-20/ stock fan in a Skyworld metal shroud/ Hobbywing 80amp pentium esc/ Sky lipo 40c-4s-3000mah battery.I'm also using a BEC with 450mah 3s for the electronics.
Nice flying Walt!! Looks awesome in the air. Did you reinforce your wing, or just prep and glue? TIA
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Nice flying Walt!! Looks awesome in the air. Did you reinforce your wing, or just prep and glue? TIA
Thanks, Just removed the paint, poked some holes anywhere two parts meet and used 15 min epoxy. Will3kgt my friend had a similar issue after one flight and sent it back to Lander and they replaced it for him. Something to consider, he has since removed the lander motor and installed it to the stock fan in his F-18 and loves it! It is performing far better than the complete Metal Lander setup, His is the 3575 kv version.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will3kgt View Post
Put my RC Lander fan back in, went up for a flight and the motor shut off. Used a SkyLipo 4000 30c. Picked up the plane and the motor was HOT! Just the motor. Battery was fine, ESC was fairly warm but the motor stayed hot for about 10 minutes. Went to throttle back up and it was cogging. Don't know what's wrong. Hope I didn't kill the motor.
Maybe check that the timing is set right for the motor?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:36 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
465 Posts
Quote:
Maybe check that the timing is set right for the motor?
Thankyou very much for the advice , I should also mention that I had the same issue with my 90mm fan as well.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Just removed the paint, poked some holes anywhere two parts meet and used 15 min epoxy. Will3kgt my friend had a similar issue after one flight and sent it back to Lander and they replaced it for him. Something to consider, he has since removed the lander motor and installed it to the stock fan in his F-18 and loves it! It is performing far better than the complete Metal Lander setup, His is the 3575 kv version.
Thanks for the reply. I have watched all your vids, and you yank on her pretty good, so I think a properly prepped and glued joint is good to go. Have any of you guys tried thrust tubes? My F18 exhaust measured 108% FSA. I would think about 1.52" per exhaust (for those running stock 6 blade fan) would wake her up a bit?
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have watched all your vids, and you yank on her pretty good, so I think a properly prepped and glued joint is good to go. Have any of you guys tried thrust tubes? My F18 exhaust measured 108% FSA. I would think about 1.52" per exhaust (for those running stock 6 blade fan) would wake her up a bit?
I never did the calcs for the stock fan but have for the CS 10 blade ( My next F-18 I'm working on) and get 93% FSA ( 2 x 45mm)so that's good for that fan, it doesn't like a tight exhaust! My friends and I have discussed thrust tube options for this bird but the degree of complexity ( Bifurcated) vs net gain has yet to yield a tube/tubes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
973 Posts
Well boys, I got a package from nitroplanes today. They sent my new gear since mine were kind of a QA issue. They sent them free of charge. I was hoping i would get the full retract but they sent just the struts, with wheels and everything. So i do have a set of backup. Probably gonna hold on to em for now and see how this thing flies before i get rid of them then screw something up. Came in a neat little box made of balsa and has exceeds logo on it so that a cool little bonus.

anyone ever switch from EC5 to EC3? is there any restriction in current to be worried about? Like to keep all my plugs the same is all.
xfatdannx is online now Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Well boys, I got a package from nitroplanes today. They sent my new gear since mine were kind of a QA issue. They sent them free of charge. I was hoping i would get the full retract but they sent just the struts, with wheels and everything. So i do have a set of backup. Probably gonna hold on to em for now and see how this thing flies before i get rid of them then screw something up. Came in a neat little box made of balsa and has exceeds logo on it so that a cool little bonus.

anyone ever switch from EC5 to EC3? is there any restriction in current to be worried about? Like to keep all my plugs the same is all.
I run EC3 for everything as I was a parkzone guy. I like those connectors, they can spark a little when connecting but everything I've thrown at them through the watt meter checks out.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:56 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
973 Posts
cool man thanks for the heads up.
xfatdannx is online now Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined May 2011
84 Posts
Whats a good maiden dualrate expo for this bird?
I usually use 75%dual- 30% expo
Blasturbator is offline Find More Posts by Blasturbator
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
30% Expo was not enough for me but than again I'm not used to a Plane that reacts this fast.
Dial in more than you would think (like 50%) and you can always adjust after the maiden.
This plane reacts very quick (but Nice) on the sticks. I am about 75% throws on low and 100% on high Rates . I used 85% expo on the nose gear to take some slop out of it.
It lands like a trainer. Nice flying plane.I think you will like it.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
For those that care about such things out of nowhere my Plane with the stock setup seems to have broken in.
I still only get about 4 minuets but it seems much faster than it was. 60 MPH maybe?
The ESC is cool and the battery warm on landing after a lot of WOT passes. It will also stand on it's tail at about 200 Feet AGL.
My friend will setup his Eagle Tree logger and than we will know for sure .He says it is faster than 60 MPH.
MERLIN
BTW
This is Clean still with no Armament.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
465 Posts
Flew mine the other day with the stock fan & motor and it ran great. Used a 4000Mah 30c battery and flew for about 8min.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:12 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
30% Expo was not enough for me but than again I'm not used to a Plane that reacts this fast.
Dial in more than you would think (like 50%) and you can always adjust after the maiden.
This plane reacts very quick (but Nice) on the sticks. I am about 75% throws on low and 100% on high Rates . I used 85% expo on the nose gear to take some slop out of it.
It lands like a trainer. Nice flying plane.I think you will like it.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
For those that care about such things out of nowhere my Plane with the stock setup seems to have broken in.
I still only get about 4 minuets but it seems much faster than it was. 60 MPH maybe?
The ESC is cool and the battery warm on landing after a lot of WOT passes. It will also stand on it's tail at about 200 Feet AGL.
My friend will setup his Eagle Tree logger and than we will know for sure .He says it is faster than 60 MPH.
MERLIN
BTW
This is Clean still with no Armament.
I still don't understand expo, even for fast reacting control surfaces. My EDFs can roll about a zillion times a second but when I tried expo it lead to over control as the zone in the stick I'm used to normal operation felt sluggish and unresponsive. I guess we all are different. I like 0 expo across the board, although nose gear I can understand. I must have dainty fingers or something.

Awesome news about the stock set-up Merlin! Yeah, it's not crazy fast but it's probably the airframe. I have the same power consumption in my F-4 and it is at least 10mph faster, maybe 15. I find when I fly in the wind vs. no wind there is a dramatic change in top speed too for this F-18, also revealing I think a very draggy airframe. Sure does make it easy to land though.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno