HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot2373 View Post
I actually ditched the pull pull and added a pushrod and ball links...for the nose steering
Do tou have any pics of this, i would. E interested to see how you did it.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:06 PM
Mankato MN
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Jun 2011
39 Posts
This thing is ticking me off more and more.....even with ball links....this thing is all over...what the heck is wrong.....i am about to ditch the gear all together....thinking i wasted 200.00
Patriot2373 is offline Find More Posts by Patriot2373
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:10 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot2373 View Post
this thing is ticking me off more and more.....even with ball links....this thing is all over...what the heck is wrong.....i am about to ditch the gear all together....thinking i wasted 200.00
+1
merlin
BTW
Is the set screw missing on the nose gear strut in front where it pivots in the slot? Mine was.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:16 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,737 Posts
Once it's in the air, it's great fun. Even has that nice jet whoosh sound. If the landing gear are giving you fits, take 'em of and make it a hand-tosser. The reduction in weight is a side benefit. Glue the landing gear doors for a little less drag and some looks.

I've tried both fixed landing gear and metal retracts, I've had more problems with the former: weak wooden gear anchors, wobbly nosegear column, bend-prone mains. The metal retract gear are much more solid. Maybe consider a compromise - keep the fixed gear setup, but beef up the wooden mounts, cut the wheel portion of the gears, and secure the trailing link landing gear in their place.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Do tou have any pics of this, i would. E interested to see how you did it.
I am using the same mechanism I have in all my EDFs. An HXT900 servo on a pull-pull configuration using Walmart fishing line.
To address the ball link issue, I used thin copper wire to go around the area of the plastic that brakes and covered all that with epoxy. I hope that reinforces it and avoids any issues. So far I have around 15 flights with uneventful takes offs and landings - on one it even went over some grass before reaching full take off speed.

I haven`t read the full thread, what is exactly the problem you are having? I am thinking may be I was lucky with my kit?
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:14 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
+1
merlin
BTW
Is the set screw missing on the nose gear strut in front where it pivots in the slot? Mine was.
i was missing the one that keeps the whole thing from extending too far, it is causing that little triangle piece on the nose gear to "hyper-extend" and jam.

also the ones who have had problem with their ball linkages...i wrapped a small zip tie around the broken piece (for me it was the shaft side not the hole) then carefully dropped some CA on it...I wanted the zip tie to stay glued to the ball link but not the threaded piece and not the strut

****drrr moment****

I just found the piece that slides out to put the fan/motor in...I already took the time to cut the whole bottom half off along its glue lines though...D'OH!
Last edited by xfatdannx; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:10 AM
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
It seems to me there are a bunch of QC issues with this Plane. The Ball links are trash but can be easily replaced with better parts or reinforced. The landing gear struts (in 2 cases) had grub screws missing and the mains sometimes stick in the extended position on one side.
I think ,since the majority of guys are flying without all the problems that it is sort of the luck of the draw. I drew a bad power setup. I kid you not when I say my Micro Corsair can beat it.
I hope once patriot gets his gear fixed he does not get the Motor/ESC Problem I have.
As far as flying the plane like Fred has said over and over is a good flying Plane.fast or slow.
Down the line I will re-motor it with something else.
Good luck on the Maiden.
MERLIN
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:46 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
932 Posts
i got two motors coming and two fans. I am gonna test all the combinations i can with a 4s 2200 25c battery. i think the battery may be a little small but i didn't really wanna drop more than 20 bucks if i move to 5 or 6 s with my set up. also have an 80 amp esc on the way, still need a ubec and a couple more servos.

also, one of my main gear was sticking in the compressed position...i took a drill bit that fit in the bigger side of "shock" and spun it and scrapped the sides by hand (not with a drill). then cleaned it out with 3in1 oil/lube...works fine now.

question...the shortest push rods that come with this...are they for the rudder if you choose to do that mod?

another question...anyone who did flaps...what weight would you say is the threshold for needing flaps on this plane?
Last edited by xfatdannx; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
It seems to me there are a bunch of QC issues with this Plane. The Ball links are trash but can be easily replaced with better parts or reinforced. The landing gear struts (in 2 cases) had grub screws missing and the mains sometimes stick in the extended position on one side.
I think ,since the majority of guys are flying without all the problems that it is sort of the luck of the draw. I drew a bad power setup. I kid you not when I say my Micro Corsair can beat it.
I hope once patriot gets his gear fixed he does not get the Motor/ESC Problem I have.
As far as flying the plane like Fred has said over and over is a good flying Plane.fast or slow.
Down the line I will re-motor it with something else.
Good luck on the Maiden.
MERLIN
What are your watt numbers from the fan\esc installed?

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
What are your watt numbers from the fan\esc installed?

Regards
He mentioned several pages back he is getting 770 watts with a 3300 40C pack, and his plane only slowflies.
I'm getting about 630 watts with a 2800 30C pack (had to review an old video recording of me testing it to remember) and mine rips even with missiles attached to the bottom (but no landing gear weight).

I'm not sure if 130 extra watts from the battery pack is in line, or pointing to friction in the motor/fan considering the reports of 300ft take off and slow flight. Bet the amps are high and the motor comes down hot.

One thing for sure Merlin is right, QA is really spotty with this kit (or simply not there at all). Luck of the draw.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Hi xfatdannx,
I did the flaps mods and they do really have an effect on the landing nose up attittude. As for weight threshold I don't know, I am using a heavy EDF (around 300g) plus around 400+g in battery and full ordinance and she is still easy to land withuot flaps.
E
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Hi xfatdannx,
I did the flaps mods and they do really have an effect on the landing nose up attittude. As for weight threshold I don't know, I am using a heavy EDF (around 300g) plus around 400+g in battery and full ordinance and she is still easy to land withuot flaps.
E
did you have to use any wight to balance on cg?
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
No need to add weight, I only moved one of the two battery forward slightly pass the area designed for batteries.
E
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
932 Posts
i got a hold if NP about the retracts. They simply answered my "ticket" on the support forum with "We will get another set of metal retracts shipped to you"

I think i am a NitroPlanes guy now!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,900 Posts
Really? Do I get a set as well?