HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:18 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,497 Posts
Thanks, I'll find the Trex link
ABout the flaps, yes I cut them completely and then used plastic hinges. Works very good.
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:21 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
959 Posts
sweet. thanks for the tip Merlin. Im gonna search for the rudder mod now. Much appreciated.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:25 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
Good Luck and have fun!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
ABout the flaps, yes I cut them completely and then used plastic hinges. Works very good.
E
Does flying with the flaps down stall the elevator at all? Any Special mixes? Like running ailerons through seperate channels and mixing with elevator, or mixing flap with up elevator?
Can't help but to see the flaps would be the same width as the elevators for our F-18s.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
Trex Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post

E
part numbers :
AGNH1125
Ball Link set
#HS1074T
and
AGNH1124
Linkage Rod Set
#HS1034T
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:15 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Not every LHS carries Align. In my case, they did, but they didn't have those P/N's. 450 size ball joints, or just bring your retract or existing ball link for matching.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
I have test flown it this bird;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRaTiOOLL0Y
HET 2W-25 and an Eflux shroud and am working on a second airframe with some mods to the ducting; also "ISP" for short(pardon me) is correct about the lower kv motor on the 10 blade fan. Here's a link to probably all that is known about it to date;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1521248
How hard was it to separate the fuse halves? Done any testing with the triangle in place? TIA
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:41 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Has anyone who has done the rudder mod ever turn them into an airbrake by mixing both in with the flap switch? Wondering if adding rudders and making it into a brake in one swoop might be a good idea vs. adding even more servos for a wing flap that would disturb air to the elevator. Might get the best of both worlds, or maybe it might assist with some high alpha flying mid flight raising the nose with all that high up rear drag?
One side on RUD, the other on a AUX channel?
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
Mankato MN
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Jun 2011
39 Posts
Well now that had to rip out my retracts because 2 failed...i found alot slop in nose steering.....add helicopter ball links ...that really stiffened it up...just really disappointed that i spent 200 for the retract version and they dont work
Patriot2373 is offline Find More Posts by Patriot2373
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
How hard was it to separate the fuse halves? Done any testing with the triangle in place? TIA
Not too bad, I cut with my razor knife where I could see the seam then pulled slowly on the two halves and you can feel the glue they use "give-up". No testing yet on the new one
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:41 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
A bit of wiggle in the nose steering should not be a problem. As long as it's adequately centered, it doesn't need much correction at all to maintain heading until rotate-off-ground, and the take-off distance is short enough that you don't spend much time steering.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
A bit of wiggle in the nose steering should not be a problem. As long as it's adequately centered, it doesn't need much correction at all to maintain heading until rotate-off-ground, and the take-off distance is short enough that you don't spend much time steering.
Easy for you to say! LOL. I'm used to Scale Prop planes that have ton of torque and can be flown in a scale manner. I'm in a new World here with the this plane.I am not used to having to be "Quick" on the steering (sticks) on a T/O.
I will be a better Pilot when all is said and done though!
It's all good though and that is what it is all about.
MERLIN
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
I'll let the video speak for itself. About 10 parking spaces worth of distance for take-off, and only a little nudge here and there on taxi back ...

Nitro Planes F/A-18E/F with retracts (2 min 13 sec)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:21 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Has anyone who has done the rudder mod ever turn them into an airbrake by mixing both in with the flap switch? Wondering if adding rudders and making it into a brake in one swoop might be a good idea vs. adding even more servos for a wing flap that would disturb air to the elevator. Might get the best of both worlds, or maybe it might assist with some high alpha flying mid flight raising the nose with all that high up rear drag?
One side on RUD, the other on a AUX channel?
Someone posted a wiring diagram for rudder toe-in/toe-out while still allowing for rudder mixing. Involved using delta-tail mixers as well as TX mixes. I believe it is over in the Hobby-Lobby/Freewing 90mm thread.

Don't know about airbraking with the rudders for high-alpha, seems to me you could lose some rudder authority, and throw in vortices generated by the leading edge root extensions, there goes your longitudinal stability. Guess it depends on how much throw you put in the toe-in.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Does flying with the flaps down stall the elevator at all? Any Special mixes? Like running ailerons through seperate channels and mixing with elevator, or mixing flap with up elevator?
Can't help but to see the flaps would be the same width as the elevators for our F-18s.
No, I didn't find any negative effects on the elevators as a result of deploying flaps. About mixes, yes, when you deploy the flaps the nose goes up so you need to mix some down elevator to compensate but once you get the mix done the transition is is unnoticeable.
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz