SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Some day I will pull off the gear and down a 12 Pack and throw the Plane . I am truly glad most guys are not having issues with this plane. I can't win them all I guess.
I will say once airborne this is a good airframe. It did look like F-18s I've seen at air shows just not on the T/O.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
When I ever make to the turbine size, it'll definitely have landing gear!
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:18 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
confused...why the hell would nitroplanes send me the kit glued together already...there are no electronics and i have to cut it apart just to fly it now? ugh!
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:39 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
confused...why the hell would nitroplanes send me the kit glued together already...there are no electronics and i have to cut it apart just to fly it now? ugh!
The fan and motor access unbolts at the bottom near the back, the ESC and wires get fed under the airframe and the wires from that get fed from the bottom into a hole between the intakes and is accessible from the hatch opening at the top.

Although aileron wiring looks,... hmm. Well I'll be damned.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:50 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my flaps mod. I flew it again today with some cross winds and still landings were a breeze...
Did some weathering and replaced the pilot, the one that came sitting there was a little out of scale for me. The one thing I still want to do is paint those sidewinders white....
Will post more pictures when done.
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:27 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
The fan and motor access unbolts at the bottom near the back, the ESC and wires get fed under the airframe and the wires from that get fed from the bottom into a hole between the intakes and is accessible from the hatch opening at the top.

Although aileron wiring looks,... hmm. Well I'll be damned.
i only have two complaints so far, the fuse being glued already and i also have an issue with those plastic pieces that hook up to the main gear to make them rotate. One is broke. Other than that i love the look, size, everything so far.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:37 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,001 Posts
Replace the plastic ball joint pieces with ones for 450-sized helicopters. They are much more durable, since they are designed for use in high-vibrations.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:54 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Replace the plastic ball joint pieces with ones for 450-sized helicopters. They are much more durable, since they are designed for use in high-vibrations.
That's a good idea, can you please provide a link?
Thanks,
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:14 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of my flaps mod. I flew it again today with some cross winds and still landings were a breeze...
Did some weathering and replaced the pilot, the one that came sitting there was a little out of scale for me. The one thing I still want to do is paint those sidewinders white....
Will post more pictures when done.
E
Looking good! Nice weathering and details. I started painting what missiles I put on all white, like what you did with the grey. Also like what you did with the exhaust nozzles. Might have to copy that, or try
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
I flew mine today and although it rolls on low rates better than any plane I own and lands better than some prop planes it is still slower than my PZ Micro Corsair.
MERLIN
BTW
The FL Sun melted the Rubber glue on the nose gear wood mounts and the nose gear fell off on T/O #2.
I am really getting of repairing this plane.
I push it with 1700 - 1800 watts in the low 100s easy...

Also on any kit you have to make sure the glue is done correctly and check it over.... no matter who made the kit...even on the VERY larger 10 - 20,000usd models.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:38 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,001 Posts
If the FL sun is melting the glue on woodmounts, just imagine how it's softening the EPO foam! If the temps are like that, maybe you should fly in the mornings or late afternoon, when the sunlight isn't so direct and the temperatures are relatively low?
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:02 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of my flaps mod.
Did you cut the flaps all the way out and use a plastic hinge?

Anyone do the rudder mod? I LOOKS like, since i have the kit and its not complete yet, that i can cut the tab off the bottom of the vertical stabs and use that opening for the rudder servo. any insight on this guys? thanks
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:02 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Did you cut the flaps all the way out and use a plastic hinge?

Anyone do the rudder mod? I LOOKS like, since i have the kit and its not complete yet, that i can cut the tab off the bottom of the vertical stabs and use that opening for the rudder servo. any insight on this guys? thanks
Mine flies w/o rudders and my 2 friends that have them installed say they don't use them. She has a tendency to drop the nose quick when they do. For me it's less weight/headache! You are correct on the location for the rudder servos though.
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:15 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
Mine flies w/o rudders and my 2 friends that have them installed say they don't use them. She has a tendency to drop the nose quick when they do. For me it's less weight/headache! You are correct on the location for the rudder servos though.

my only concern is that most of my places to fly don't have multiple directions for t/o and landing so i deal with cross winds pretty regularly and having the rudder would deff help. I understand what you are saying though. less weight less problems.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
A) Fred
I do believe the FL Sun is doing a number on the Glue and the plane.
B) I posted the Trex part #s for the Ball links twice in this thread.
C) The rudder Mod is posted in this thread. The linkages are even provided.
As I learned here 2 little 9 gram servos do not add enough weight to make a difference and the plane turns and flies better with them.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16