HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
I'll go with the Motor/Fan thought. My battery is 2 ounces bigger than yours and I don't even have the Wing Tip Sidewinders on. It 2 ounces makes that much of a difference I will be selling it ASAP for 50% off the regular price.
M
Has to be something else, we've flown ours with lipos from 2200 up to 3300, thats 251gms to 383grms and with never more than a light toss! Don't give up these are great flying birds!!
3rd-dem is online now Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:50 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Thanks
I will try again tomorrow. I hate to give up on something. If necessary I will re-motor/ESC it.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
Hey guys, I thought I'd post my results
I got this airframe from Nitro last month and I maidened this past weekend. I installed a 72mm RCLander unit on 6s (around 1200w). Since this unit is a bit heavy I decided to do flaps in case I needed the extra lift on landings.
I flew it 5 times and I have to say this F-18 has quickly climbed to my top 3 planes )))))
I have the same power setup in other jets but I get a different sound in every jet - in this one, the sound is fantastic. The vertical climbs are very impressive and the landings with flaps are a piece of cake - it literally slows down to a crawl.

I will be doing some weathering and post pictures after I'm done.
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:35 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Not sure if it is mentioned in this thread but is anyone concerned how the horns on the control surfaces are only glued on and not screwed through to a separate plastic plate on the upper side of the surfaces? I used Great Planes CA and it seems pretty sturdy... but I think new servos and new horns might be necessary to keep the shiney side up with these guys for long. The rods connecting the horns I took from the new parkzone stryker, I think the little bits all need to go too. For the sake of a few cents here and there, these seem pretty crappy for an EDF. My slower warbirds come with better connections to the surfaces.
Has anyone had any rip out in flight? I'd shutter to think if anyone used the rubber cement that came with the plane for that.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Hey guys, I thought I'd post my results
I got this airframe from Nitro last month and I maidened this past weekend. I installed a 72mm RCLander unit on 6s (around 1200w). Since this unit is a bit heavy I decided to do flaps in case I needed the extra lift on landings.
I flew it 5 times and I have to say this F-18 has quickly climbed to my top 3 planes )))))
I have the same power setup in other jets but I get a different sound in every jet - in this one, the sound is fantastic. The vertical climbs are very impressive and the landings with flaps are a piece of cake - it literally slows down to a crawl.

I will be doing some weathering and post pictures after I'm done.
E

That is awesome! Love to see your flap set-up too. Did you strengthen the wings?
It's pretty floaty jet all around. I've actually been gliding it in power off for some buttery touchdowns. Long glide path. Flaps would be nice to shorten that a bit even.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:39 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Does anyone have this plane with a changesun 70mm 10 blade fan? Curious about your set up. I ordered the fan already and i have had a couple people tell me not to waste my time that there are better set ups for this plane. i was wondering if more people can confirm that or if there are some success stories with CS fan. I ordered the kit version and the fan so far so i am pretty much working with a clean slate. thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.
xfatdannx is online now Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:47 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot2373 View Post
I wonder if nitro planes would just give me credit after sending the complete retract gears back.... they want to send me new ones...
just get the new ones from them and sell them on here. see,s like there are a lot of people with this plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
My only new concern is the plant debris building up in my ESC. I picked some out but suspect more is down there..
maybe try blowing it out with an air compressor? just a thought, i've never tried it personally.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
part numbers :
AGNH1125
Ball Link set
#HS1074T
and
AGNH1124
Linkage Rod Set
#HS1034T
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

The Stock Ball Links are crap and I really want to use the retracts. I cant find those ball links anywhere in stock any sugestions where I can purchase them?
Mikep0011 is offline Find More Posts by Mikep0011
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Does anyone have this plane with a changesun 70mm 10 blade fan? Curious about your set up. I ordered the fan already and i have had a couple people tell me not to waste my time that there are better set ups for this plane. i was wondering if more people can confirm that or if there are some success stories with CS fan. I ordered the kit version and the fan so far so i am pretty much working with a clean slate. thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.
Ah, you already ordered the CS10, that's exactly what I plan on using later too. For me it's all about the sound upgrade and flying a bit more stealthy in my neighbourhood. There is a dedicated thread to that fan set-up somewhere on here, it sounds like if you go that route you will want a lower kv motor on 4S (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2300kv) or the amp draw will get ridiculous. There is more fan blades pushing more air than a traditional fan so the motor doesn't need to be at such a high RPM. I'm looking into the same thing.

edit: Could be wrong about the kv, it seems the set-ups are all over the place with that fan?
Last edited by Ispintechno; Jul 05, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikep0011 View Post
The Stock Ball Links are crap and I really want to use the retracts. I cant find those ball links anywhere in stock any sugestions where I can purchase them?
You can find them at my House. PM your address and I will send them. Save the rods as I just have the Ball links.
MERLIN
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
You can find them at my House. PM your address and I will send them. Save the rods as I just have the Ball links.
MERLIN
Cool Thanks alot, I just PM you
Mikep0011 is offline Find More Posts by Mikep0011
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:53 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Ah, you already ordered the CS10, that's exactly what I plan on using later too. For me it's all about the sound upgrade and flying a bit more stealthy in my neighbourhood. There is a dedicated thread to that fan set-up somewhere on here, it sounds like if you go that route you will want a lower kv motor on 4S (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2300kv) or the amp draw will get ridiculous. There is more fan blades pushing more air than a traditional fan so the motor doesn't need to be at such a high RPM. I'm looking into the same thing.

edit: Could be wrong about the kv, it seems the set-ups are all over the place with that fan?
i may have found a motor/fan/esc combo in the classifieds that is only 65 bucks for all three so i might get that and just sell the CS...or maybe hold on to it and see how i like this set up...

im reading that 2 lbs of thrust is plenty for this plane and someone was giving me info on how to get 5.5-6lbs of thrust!!!!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
I have test flown it this bird;
Walt's 70mm Exceed RC Dimond Viper F18 (4 min 22 sec)

HET 2W-25 and an Eflux shroud and am working on a second airframe with some mods to the ducting; also "ISP" for short(pardon me) is correct about the lower kv motor on the 10 blade fan. Here's a link to probably all that is known about it to date;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1521248
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
I flew mine today and although it rolls on low rates better than any plane I own and lands better than some prop planes it is still slower than my PZ Micro Corsair.
MERLIN
BTW
The FL Sun melted the Rubber glue on the nose gear wood mounts and the nose gear fell off on T/O #2.
I am really getting of repairing this plane.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Sorry for your hard luck there, being we hand-launch, we miss out on things like T-N-G and take-off roll, the upside is no gear trouble and more modding than repairs!
RCG Plus Member