HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:11 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,514 Posts
That's the power set-up I was going to use I I purchased the A-10, but I really don't like EPS foam. I had LX's F16 with retracts as well and it was brittle foam. EPS look smooth and clean, but it's not worth it. EPO Foam has come a long way, and is looking better.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:31 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
I will no doubt be getting the kit form of this, VERY VERY similar landing gear can be had for 40 dollars shipped but I happen to have 2 sets of them already. EPO is really important seeing that all my EPS planes don't last past the first booboo. My EPO planes have crashed from way up because of pilot and equipment error and most are still flying.

The kit version shipped, HK etracts, some HK MG servos, LG that's very similar and a Sapac power setup (85+amp ESC and MB1 motor) is going to cost similar to NP plug and fly version but I'm going to be dealing with my own gear.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:48 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
..EPO Foam has come a long way, and is looking better.
No doubt, SM is using 1.9 epo in their new F14 and I mean it's night and day on the foam vs the last version it was high density EPS not the low density light stuff for LX models.

EPO needs be reinforced but that can be done cheap, light and in a hurry.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:31 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
VERY VERY similar landing gear can be had for 40 dollars shipped
Which ones might this be? Can you provide a link? Thanks.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:03 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
Joined Jun 2009
680 Posts
Bajora,

Awsome pictures and video. Your reviews are the best, and timely too. This F-18 sounds real jet-like, too. Did you edit the exhaust sound?

I notice some toe out (as both hubcaps are visible) on the main wheels from the direct rear view picture, did the taxiing feel extra draggy? Does the toe out get worse as the mains get more loaded (from the suspension geometry)?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turbinefancy; Dec 31, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:19 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,340 Posts
What happened happened to the angled track? See post #14 from Andy Chen. The narrow track concern was pointed out and it seemed Andy indicated the rear retracts would be angled outward (more scale) to widen the track.

It seems this wasn't done on the final kit as was indicated...

I supposed one can modify the fuse to make the retracts angled....

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:36 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Unless this thing turns out to be the best flying EDF of all time, it is hideously overpriced for what you get, and that's a real shame.

Without angled track it really has nothing to set itself apart from the competition in a positive manner (Aside from EPO, which for folks like me is not necessarily a selling point). The gear doesn't look right at all, IMO. You shouldn't have to modify anything gear-related when that's the entire selling point of the plane. There's just no way for me to justify the incredible price difference from current market offerings.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:45 PM
On Drugs
A mile high and 30 feet south of the 40th parallel
Joined Dec 2009
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
Unless this thing turns out to be the best flying EDF of all time, it is hideously overpriced for what you get, and that's a real shame.

Without angled track it really has nothing to set itself apart from the competition in a positive manner (Aside from EPO, which for folks like me is not necessarily a selling point). The gear doesn't look right at all, IMO. You shouldn't have to modify anything gear-related when that's the entire selling point of the plane. There's just no way for me to justify the incredible price difference from current market offerings.
100% agree.

those rear gears are lame. good luck having to turn during a taxi out......
wind or not

but now, there is no reason to give up my current 70mm f-18

And i dont see any reason why one would buy this over other frames and kits that are 50% less

DAMN. the fact that Chen helped w/ this got me excited.
BEELZEBOB is offline Find More Posts by BEELZEBOB
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:30 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
Joined Jun 2009
680 Posts
Mr. Andy Chen,

If you are monitoring the thread, the collective tone has changed from praise to "REVOLT" due to the combination of high price and unresolved narrow track issue on main gears.

Please modify the retract mount to tilt the main gears outward as yourself noted and also correct possible toe-out issue before your next shipment, since the "awsome" landing gear is your biggest selling point.

I will not buy this new F-18 until the landing gear issue is corrected.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:28 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknight View Post
It seems this wasn't done on the final kit as was indicated... hk
I just looked at that post, and he simply agreed with an observation, he didn't promise that the tilts would be incorporated in the production model.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:42 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
I notice some toe out on the main wheels from the direct rear view picture, did the taxiing feel extra draggy? Does the toe out get worse as the mains get more loaded (from the suspension geometry)?
"Toe back" is probably a more accurate description of how the landing gear flexes under load. The lower arm of the looks to get no worse than parallel to the ground at maximum compression (timestamp 2:11 in video below).

New Exceed Rc F-18 Blue Angels Brushless 70mm EDF Jet w/ Retracts Review (15 min 14 sec)
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:45 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
I will wait for v2 on this .....a larger plane for 10 dollars more is a better option(twin 70 a10)...this f18 sure is a nice jet though
Wefinance01 is online now Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Last edited by Wefinance01; Dec 31, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:49 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
If you are monitoring the thread, the collective tone has changed from praise to "REVOLT" due to the combination of high price and unresolved narrow track issue on main gears.
Hardly. And yes, I pulled the trigger for this model, and ARF with metal gears.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:50 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Which ones might this be? Can you provide a link? Thanks.
I think he's referring to the ones offered by HK. And that is the retraction mechanism alone, not including the wheels and suspension.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:11 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
Joined Jun 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Hardly. And yes, I pulled the trigger for this model, and ARF with metal gears.
Good for you! Please do let us know what you like and dislike about the plane so that by the time I buy mine it will be a better version.

BTW, if you do not know what toe out means, look at your feet. It has nothing to do with bending your legs or arms either.
RCG Plus Member