HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
I usually use the HK servo slowdown/Reverser for $7.00. As a slow down it does not reduce voltage to do it like other brands and as a reverser you just reverse the pot and it's done .

MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Last edited by MERLIN V16; May 24, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Maiden kinda. It was short.
Can any one tell me what the stock setup is supposed to do? What watts and amps because my bird does not fly.
Thanks
MERLIN
Old May 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Maiden kinda. It was short.
Can any one tell me what the stock setup is supposed to do? What watts and amps because my bird does not fly.
Thanks
MERLIN
sorry to hear that it wont go up . what size battery you using. i fly with a 4s 2500~3000
i cant help you with your question because i dont buy reciver ready jets, but this bird at *38oz AUW needs at least 500 watts and about 40amp to get it to fly .(saftey first) get a firm grip on one of the wings and give it full throttle . its should want to yank out of your hand . if it just tugs on your hand then your motor is seriously underpowered .
I highly recomed an upgraded edf unit and motor .i got mine flying around 80~95mph mph with cheap HK stuff
*200watts per pound
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old May 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
The battery I was using was a Nano tech 25C 3300. I got 600 Watts out of a fully charged run. 16.80Volts and all cells 4.20 V. The plane lifted off and settled back to the ground with slight nose damage and a bent nose gear. I'm not too happy but I am suspecting the battery! 6 mile an hour head wind it should have lifted off! My PZ Micro Corsair is faster?
I tried a 4S 5000 I had but it was(not fully charged) and a little over 15 volts . I still got over 700 watts.
I was just looking for a baseline on the stock setup as I saw it fly in the vids and mine could not!
BTW
I have the part numbers for the Heli parts to fix the CRAP parts supplied for the retracts!
Old May 25, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
The battery I was using was a Nano tech 25C 3300. I got 600 Watts out of a fully charged run. 16.80Volts and all cells 4.20 V. The plane lifted off and settled back to the ground with slight nose damage and a bent nose gear. I'm not too happy but I am suspecting the battery! 6 mile an hour head wind it should have lifted off! My PZ Micro Corsair is faster?
I tried a 4S 5000 I had but it was(not fully charged) and a little over 15 volts . I still got over 700 watts.
I was just looking for a baseline on the stock setup as I saw it fly in the vids and mine could not!
BTW
I have the part numbers for the Heli parts to fix the CRAP parts supplied for the retracts!
seems like you have more than enough power . on my plane im getting 700 watt out of my aftermarket parts and im using a 2650 mah 4s battery , could it be a CG issue. not rnough throws on your elevons, ? your timing on the esc .
Old May 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
150% throw on the elevator. Fresh battery. CG 75 MM from the spot on the instructions. The ESC? I just winged it like I always do when there is no Instructions. The plane lifted off and settled down still at full throttle. Either the motor is bad of the battery is ..no? A prop plane of this weight would have flown on 600W!
Old May 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,124 Posts
First, did you get a kit-only and added your own electronics? If so, what motor are you using? How many KV? Power rating? If your power rating is too low, you'll end up overheating your windings, wasting energy as heat, and eventually burning the motor out.

150% throw on the elevator? How steep is your nose-up on take-off? Extreme changes in pitch is a major speed bleed. If your power system is underpowered, pitchi up too hard and you lose energy and airspeed, probably a near-stall. Better to build up speed and gently lift off, then let the plane gather more speed before doing any maneuvers, maintain speed.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old May 26, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
The plane is the bone stock ARF. I only added 2 servos for the rudders. It was at WOT for 250 feet with about a 6 MPH headwind. When I got to the end of the runway and it finally lifted off it did not pick up speed. It did not stall but the plane only got to about 5 feet of altitude and leveled off for a few seconds than just slowed down and settled back to the ground. If I was over a runway and not grass it would of just landed . I think the battery craps under load.
If no one has a stock setup for a comparison than I just need a known to be good battery to try again with. The Planes in the Nitro Planes Videos all accelerate faster than this one.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,124 Posts
Mine is also bone stock, and it gets and stays in the air with no problems, even hand-launched. I use a Gens Ace 2500mAH 25C battery.

I see you are using a Nano-Tech battery. I don't know if it's a hit-or-miss thing with those, but I had a similar experience with a 64mm F-18. Swapping the battery fixed that.
Last edited by fredmdbud; May 26, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:26 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
6S setup

Hey guys, is anybody successfully flying on 6S? i have a lander 72mm EDF that can run on 2x3300 3s batteries but I would like to know if the plane can take the weight/achieve CG.
Any information will be greatly appreciated
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old May 26, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Hey guys, is anybody successfully flying on 6S? i have a lander 72mm EDF that can run on 2x3300 3s batteries but I would like to know if the plane can take the weight/achieve CG.
Any information will be greatly appreciated
E
a few post back there is someone who is flying this bird on a 6s , you may need to reinforce the wings with carbon rods ,but it is doable. there are topics on a simualr birds that members are getting up 130 mph with the 70mm f18 lotsa of work like glassing reinforcement, like they say put a big enough motor/battery and a brick will fly ..
Old May 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Retract repair part numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Mine is also bone stock, and it gets and stays in the air with no problems, even hand-launched. I use a Gens Ace 2500mAH 25C battery.

I see you are using a Nano-Tech battery. I don't know if it's a hit-or-miss thing with those, but I had a similar experience with a 64mm F-18. Swapping the battery fixed that.
Thanks Fred
The 1st thing I will do is buy a new battery.
As a side note the ball links as you know are real Crap. I broke one just cycling the retracts. The nice mane at the store sold me these Trex 450 Heli parts from Align and the quality is much greater! The fix is in.
part numbers :
AGNH1125
Ball Link set
#HS1074T
and
AGNH1124
Linkage Rod Set
#HS1034T

merlin
Old May 29, 2012, 12:46 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,124 Posts
Could someone say what size the mounting screws are used for the servoless retracts?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined May 2006
108 Posts
I just got this (red viper) for father's day today! I plan to read through the whole thread before I maiden her just to make sure things go smoothly. All said, I'm really looking forward to getting this in the air in a couple of weeks and I will post some pic's when I get her put together (have a few rounds of golf to play first, lol).
darnoldil is offline Find More Posts by darnoldil
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
I wish you more luck than I had.