SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:59 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,031 Posts
I'm kinda disappointed it does not have full flying stabs. Guess you can't have everything.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:01 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
I finished the build a short while ago. I am REALLY impressed with the retracts. Lots of machining. The suspension seems solid. The mains are rotating 90s. I could see why this one is more expensive on just the gear alone.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
Enjoying the thread. Great pics too! Can't wait to read and see more. Can we get a video of the retracts and control surfaces in action?

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:57 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Lee,

Yes, I want to do that and post it up here. I am trying to figure out the best way and place to get a decent video of the gear operating for you folks. Looks like I should be able to get it out tomorrow AM for some flying!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:25 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
dang that is sweeeeeeeet!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:40 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Bajora - If you do get the chance to fly in the morning will you be flying on the stock setup?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:40 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Bajora -yet another request...

Could you please post a front or rear lower view (pic) of the mains extended, showing the width & angle of the main gear track?

I know some guys were concerned the main gears might be too close together possibly causing the plane to tip over while taxing in a crosswind.

Thanks Man, and Good Luck with the Maiden!
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:14 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post

Could you please post a front or rear lower view (pic) of the mains extended, showing the width & angle of the main gear track?

I know some guys were concerned the main gears might be too close together possibly causing the plane to tip over while taxing in a crosswind.

Thanks Man, and Good Luck with the Maiden!
A few of these photos of the completed build may show you what you are asking for? Yes, I have already noticed the narrow stance of the mains. It may be a little tricky to hold a straight line or manage a crosswind ... but we shall soon see. And yes, I will be flying it on the stock 70mm setup, and a 4S 2250 pack.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
Hmmmmm ... if a crosswind is strong enough to tip the plane over while taxiing, maybe it's not a good day to be flying? Especially if the plane isn't set up with working rudders?
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr View Post
Enjoying the thread. Great pics too! Can't wait to read and see more. Can we get a video of the retracts and control surfaces in action?

-Lee
Here you are Lee:

Exceed RC 70mm F-18 EDF Pre-Flight (0 min 59 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Thanks for all the pics Bajora.

I just got a confirmation from nitroplanes/UPS that my F-18 should be arriving on the 5th, yippee!
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:12 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Awesome video, the picture that you see before you start the video makes it look like its a real F18!!!!

But here is what I plan on ordering tonight or tomorrow and need you guy's opinions:

F18 kit w/retracts (blue angels):
http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a718-bl...-eretract.html

Power system (awesome power and a good price):
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=671

Servos:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/topromisesg9.html

Battery (I already have this battery so its what i'm going to use):
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3000-4s1p-40c-4444.html

I think this will be a very nice setup price and power wise.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,875 Posts
Bajora, or Andy, does the F18's wings and fuselage have carbon fiber throughout it just like the Mig 15? That was a great idea, because we don't have to chop it up to install some. From the factory, the foam can be placed right over it.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:56 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,875 Posts
Just got an email confirmation with tracking info. on the jet. It will be here on the 3rd. Very cool stuff. It's nice that Nitroplanes gives an estimates ship on a plane and sends it out when expected or earlier.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:05 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
... The foam on the A-10 is also very smooth and looks amazing, but it's EPS foam and dents unbelievably easy. ..
Crap, scratch that A-10 off my list...I've dealt with LXs F16 and it's incredibly brittle foam. The stuff is light but man don't breath at it wrong it'll dent up like no tomorrow.

They have to be reinforcing the heck out of the wing. There's no way this thing will take the turns 2 wemo or 2 sapac fans would give it under 1500 watts.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member