HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
jk,

That sounds so sweeeet! Ive yet to order one of these F-18 but it is on my wish list. I have two MB1 fan/motor combos on the way already, one for my Meteor and the other for my future F-18.

Im using Sky Lipo 5S 4000 30c batteries in my Meteor so Im hopeing these will fit in the F-18 as well.
They'll fit, I want to try a 5s 4000 also cause unless I put my 5s 3000 all the way forward I still have to dial in a lil down elevator.

The 3000k 4c pack I have is 16oz I suspect the 5s 4k pack will be 20oz
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:14 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Thanks JK, I'm putting an order in. I fly with no landing gear and no brass reinforcment and your plane is still way out performing mine!! Wish I had spoke with you before I ordered the other stuff!! My only worry now is the Hobby Dream's Sapac 3200KV won't be exactly the same as the MB1 all the specs are the same but my luck usually runs in the other direction!! They don't call it an MB1 but the numbers match! Flew mine with no spinner cap screw at lunch sounds much better but still not as good as yours, I think its that cyclone motor.
Thanks again,
Karl

Hey how many amps are you seeing? and what size esc?
Unfortunately... I don't have any telemetry instruments that tell me how many amps I use... I know I should get some... I am still relatively new to the hobby... just started this past January... I am constantly learning, but one thing I usually do before I buy motor upgrades is I do as much research as I can... When you use the Mb-1 you shouldn't use it on anything less than a 90-100A esc... On 5S, that motor can really push and is pulling some amperage! I run it with a Turnigy K-force 100A esc... I run most of my planes on that! Really great ESC in my opinion for the price of around $65. I am sure it is the same motor... don't worry, just make sure you have a decent sized battery... I was running a 3000mah 40-80C and had my timer at 4 minutes.... I was running out of juice at the end... luckily I was able to put her down in relatively one piece.

Oh yeah, the only reason why I used brass tubing was because my local hobby shop was closed the night I decided to build my plane!! I had some extra brass tubing, my main reinforcement is actually two brass tubes. one is smaller than the other, but fits right in like its a sleave. it makes it twice as strong in my opion... just hope it holds up. I love the jet flies straight and true... I was just a hair bit tail heavy, but I also had my battery pushed all the way back, gonna slide it forward and try again.
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:16 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Oh yeah, i couldn't do much research on the cyclone power motor, because there just isn't that much info on it yet. I was really hoping that it could handle 5S, maybe they still can, but for now, that MB-1 is definitely doing it's job!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:24 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
jk,

That sounds so sweeeet! Ive yet to order one of these F-18 but it is on my wish list. I have two MB1 fan/motor combos on the way already, one for my Meteor and the other for my future F-18.

Im using Sky Lipo 5S 4000 30c batteries in my Meteor so Im hopeing these will fit in the F-18 as well.
You know what, honestly, if there was ever a plane that I was most impressed with stock, it would be the meteor! that plane handle my 5S batteries with ease! and the meteor really moves with that setup! also I was getting 5:30 minutes of flight time with a 3000mah pack... the batteries always came down... just a little warm never hot. one of the top efficient/performance setups i have ever come across straight out of the box.. personally, I would keep the meteor stock and get 6 plus minutes out of your 4000mah pack. I am sure that if you were to put that setup in the f/a-18 you could get some really good performance with lengthy flight times as well. actually, I think hobbypartz.com sells the power setup combo for like $55... balance that fan and you are golden!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:40 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Batteries, esc, amp meter, magnetic balance, cranky girl friend that should do it. The cranky thing is ok just means I'm having a little to much fun!!! I'm going to use 2650's in it three minutes is ok as long as they're a fast three!

Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:05 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Batteries, esc, amp meter, magnetic balance, cranky girl friend that should do it. The cranky thing is ok just means I'm having a little to much fun!!!

Karl
girl friend is not cranky -I am the one that times the flights - We have a bed room full of planes- and as long as i can buy clothes i really dont care
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:21 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
JK,

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it, and I think your assessment is spot on in regards to the Meteor power plant. I flew it yesterday for a solid 5 minutes with some good WOT passes and only put a little over 2k mah back into my 4000. I was impressed.

The only reason I was contemplating putting something else was simply because my EDF sounds terrible. It's the not knowing how to balance that's driving me. Believe me though I would like to learn and believe it's worth the effort if I am able to balance it.
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:12 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
May fly great but nothing looks better in the sky than a military jet!! IMHO
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:34 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Quote:
May fly great but nothing looks better in the sky than a military jet!! IMHO
I agree 100%! I never get tired of looking at jets flying through the sky. Even after 20+ years Air Force (F-16 Avionics) it just never gets old.

Rob
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:28 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Nice f16 is still one of my favorites. But the Raptor rules!!! I was also in the air force. JK is that Nellis I hear in the background of your videos? I never get tired of the planes just saw the Thunder Birds on 9/11 in Niagra Falls great show!! My dad flew 51s and I ended up in communications BOO!!!! Well at least I can fly the foam ones!!

Karl
Last edited by wow1; Nov 01, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:45 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Nice f16 is still one of my favorites. But the Raptor rules!!! I was also in the air force. JK is that Nellis I hear in the background of your videos? I never get tired of the planes just saw the Thunder Birds on 9/11 in Niagra Falls great show!! My dad flew 51s and I ended up in communications BOO!!!! Well at least I can fly the foam ones!!

Karl
That's my plane!!! haha... no... I am actually closer to the commercial airport... not nellis... the one video though, you can really hear the air getting e-fluxxed out of those nozzles!!!
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:22 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Your plane is one of the best sounding edfs I've heard! I just wondered what was in the back ground. I like how you guys found a section of road and made it your own!!!

Karl
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:46 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Question, since I'm not using landing gear I'm wondering if I would benefit from covering the wheel wells they have openings that go to the intake.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:50 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,282 Posts
Hi.
Even after fixing the ball links with kevlar thread and CA, I have problems with my main retracts.
How did you solve that?
Thanks for helping
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:19 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
Hi.
Even after fixing the ball links with kevlar thread and CA, I have problems with my main retracts.
How did you solve that?
Thanks for helping
Takis
i am using zip ties reinforced with plastic CA