HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:19 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
F-18 Super Hornet RedViper Maiden

Exceed RC F-18C 70mm EDF Super Hornet Maiden (7 min 19 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:52 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Jay's F-18 Superhornet 5s test (2 min 57 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:12 AM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2011
518 Posts
@Westwood,

5s on the stock motor/esc?

Great footage!
Qtop is offline Find More Posts by Qtop
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,879 Posts
Westwood, do you have a balancing machine?

That is the quietest 70mm fan I've heard in a while....very well balanced
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:46 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Help!! I took the advice of someone on a power upgrade to be used with the stock fan. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the stock motor!!! The fan has a cap on the end and I assume a screw under it problem that cap does not want to come off. Has anyone pulled one of these stock fans apart? I'm starting to think I should have bought a fan motor combo! The motor I bought is a typhoon 2218 from HK I also purchased a 70amp turnigy speed controler and a couple of 40c 4 cell packs. Looking at the motor it looks a little small compared to stock does anyone have any experience with these motors? If I screwed up with my purchase please tell me I'm far from sensitive and just want this plane faster!!
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:37 AM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Help!! I took the advice of someone on a power upgrade to be used with the stock fan. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the stock motor!!! The fan has a cap on the end and I assume a screw under it problem that cap does not want to come off. Has anyone pulled one of these stock fans apart? I'm starting to think I should have bought a fan motor combo!
Take a pair of pliers and squeeze the jaws around the perimeter of the cap. Not too hard, though. There is a bit of glue holding the cap on that you need to break. Then the cap pulls off.

Quote:
The motor I bought is a typhoon 2218 from HK I also purchased a 70amp turnigy speed controler and a couple of 40c 4 cell packs. Looking at the motor it looks a little small compared to stock does anyone have any experience with these motors? If I screwed up with my purchase please tell me I'm far from sensitive and just want this plane faster!!
I have no experience with that particular motor. You can give it a try and use a watt meter to make sure you are not overtaxing your motor or speed control. I don't have much experience with EDF's, but I believe that if you hold the plane vertically and give it throttle, it should try to pull away if it has sufficient power.

I got the Cyclone Power 3700KV motor that we are going to give a try on my son's F-18 with 4S batteries. I have read good things about the Cyclone motors. I originally wanted to get a Sapac MB-1 motor, as those are supposed to be awesome, but they went out of business and none of their dealers seemed to have stock left.
gpraceman is offline Find More Posts by gpraceman
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:13 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Thanks I got it apart the adaptor that was sent wont work without machining diameter is smaller on this motor. Fortunately I have some equipment to make my own! However if the motor you're using is a direct fit I'm interested put that thing together and let me know how it performs! Simple question does more KV mean more power I realize its a thosound r's per volt but is there another factor??

Thanks, Karl
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Are you going to use the stock fan with that motor? I'll be curious to see if it stays together at those rpms.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
However if the motor you're using is a direct fit I'm interested put that thing together and let me know how it performs!
There are two versions of the Cyclone 3700KV motor, one for a 3.17mm shaft and the other for 4mm. I chose the 3.17mm one to work with the stock prop adapter.

Quote:
Simple question does more KV mean more power I realize its a thosound r's per volt but is there another factor??
It depends on what battery voltage that you are intending to use. I made some inquiries and it seemed like the 3700KV was going to give better performance than stock with our 4S batteries. We are not looking to tear holes in the sky, just have more speed than stock. The Cyclone 4100KV would give more power on 4S, but would draw over 80A. We are putting an 80A ESC in it and I wanted more of a buffer and more flight time, so I went with the 3700KV.

Quote:
Are you going to use the stock fan with that motor? I'll be curious to see if it stays together at those rpms.
We were going to give that a try. Do some static testing with a watt meter. Hopefully, the fan holds together. Then we'll give her a flight test. This is our first EDF, so I don't know how well these stock fans hold together. I guess we'll find out.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:11 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
I guess that my memory is failing me. The stock prop adapter is 4mm. We tried another motor that had a 3.17mm shaft and had to get a prop adapter to work with it. That is the one we are using with the Cyclone motor.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:37 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
The motor I'm attempting is rated @3400kv I'm using a 70 amp speed controller. Look for the puff of smoke in the sky!!!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:49 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
The motor I'm attempting is rated @3400kv I'm using a 70 amp speed controller. Look for the puff of smoke in the sky!!!
Do you have a watt meter? If not, you should get one. It helps to make sure that you are not over amping your motor or ESC. From the looks of that motor, they don't list an amp rating but they do recommend a 40A ESC. Your motor will blow before your speed controller. It does make me wonder if that motor will have enough power for this plane.

This comment on that motor seems to indicate that.

Quote:
smplmn 5/11/2011 2:34:00 AM
I put this in my 70 mm f 18 jet and it wasn`t good.I had changed the esc to a 70 amp,then i used this junk motor which the people at hobby king recommended me to do.I asked them what i could use for an upgrade to really make it scream ,and that is the set up they told me.I useed a 4s 2200 lipo.I think the motor had to much amps going toi it cause it got hot,and bogged down.This is a very bad disapointment.If you notice their is no amp rating for this motor.It is JUNK!I don`t recomend it for
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
I got the Cyclone Power 3700KV motor that we are going to give a try on my son's F-18 with 4S batteries. I have read good things about the Cyclone motors. I originally wanted to get a Sapac MB-1 motor, as those are supposed to be awesome, but they went out of business and none of their dealers seemed to have stock left.
Yes, the Cylcone motors are great. I have three of them in three different jets and they all perform awesome. Dynamically balanced I must say as well.
The Cyclone 3700kv will work great for this F-18. I am using the Cyclone 3300kv motor in my Starmax 70mm F-18C model along with a Cyclone 80amp esc. Although my watt meter showed that I could have used a 60amp esc. I am using a Zippy 2800 mah 30C 4s battery and it flys great with plenty of power to hand launch.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:22 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Video pro are you using the stock fan. I bench tested my 3400 kv motor which I might add is not well balanced! Seemed ok however at full throttle all failed! The speed controller is shot and the motor is as well! So at this point I'm looking at the cyclone motors but what fan offers good performance for the buck!! Just curious on your vertical are you at 1 to 1 power with that motor? Before anyone asks I did not have it hooked to an amp meter my bad I'm assuming the draw was quite high! So at this point I'm looking for an esc motor fan combo which does not exceed the price of my 179.00 complete plane,. Am I chasing rainbows? Oh yea I want unlimited vertical!!! For anyone else that searches exceed rc f18 power upgrades Ignore the one that suggests using the HK upgrades the parts recommended do not fit unless you are a machinist and once you've machined the parts and wasted five hours of your life the set up ran for about twenty seconds your wife or girl friend looks at you with disappointment your dog hides under the couch your man hood shrinks and you may hang your head with shame!!!! Other than that it was a great experience.

Thanks, Karl
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:33 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey video I had a couple of the starmax f18s they performed better in stock form as well I think they are a little smaller and lighter. I'm going to use these 2200 4 cell packs with a 40 c rating because I have them!! I still have the stock fan that came with the Starmax is that what your using with the 3300 KV motor?