HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:24 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Hey fellas...does your mains have little c-clips holding in the little rod that the metal landing gear connects to? Out of the box, mine did not. I have sense added them when I replaced the retracts but they are hard to get off to fix the little rod if it gets bent. I am thinking about not using them with future retract replacements as the rotation tie bar and clips can hold them in. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Wes
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:39 AM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
I was trying to buy a Sapac MB-1 for my son's F-18, but it seems everyone is out of stock and Sapac America is closing its doors at the end of this month. So, what is a reasonably priced comparable motor to the MB-1? We are not looking to break any speed records, just give much better performance than the anemic stock motor (even more anemic at 6100ft ASL).
gpraceman is offline Find More Posts by gpraceman
Last edited by gpraceman; Sep 09, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:07 PM
Totally!!
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Jan 2009
1,101 Posts
I paid 75$ for mine, I think the website was called edfhobbies.com??
bolibruch1 is offline Find More Posts by bolibruch1
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:01 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolibruch1 View Post
I paid 75$ for mine, I think the website was called edfhobbies.com??
Sold out. Same with the few other US sources that I have found.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:54 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Sapac America is closing its doors at the end of this month.
It is? Their website doesn't say anything about it.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:36 AM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Here's from an email that I received from Sapac when trying to order the MB-1 from their website.

Quote:
Just to clear up things. SAPAC the company, as owned by Mike Fallon is closing because he is retiring. SAPAC the brand will be carried through by other members including myself. That is, all products and parts will be supported in the future. SAPAC will become a legacy brand as the new company and label will not only carry parts, the airframes will be updated and refined.

The new company is called Alert5 RC and will be announce shortly. thanks for your support and understanding.
See also http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502354
Last edited by gpraceman; Sep 10, 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:13 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,060 Posts
Very sad to see Sapac closing up shop. I hope the new company will dso well. Not sure why they would want to loose the name Sapac though.

Sure hope they keep the MB-1 combo going.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:02 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,142 Posts
Could be a licensing issue, or they plan on offering products from several other manufacturers, too.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Is the CG listed in the manual good on this one? measured off the nose as in the diagram then measured off wing as in diagram came up with two different locations! maybe its just me.

Thanks, Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:52 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Karl,

I measured from the nose on mine. The CG was perfect for me. I love this airplane.

Wes
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:32 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCflyerCT View Post
Thanks again..the fix worked perfectly...4 great flights on Friday. I absolutely LOVE how this jet flies!
I agree...I had mine out for the first time in a few months. What a sweet flyer!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:10 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Thanks for the reply. This plane is easier to fly than the BH f18 more surface area I'm guessing, however it is a little slower. As far as durability goes I really gave that a test yesterday doing an inverted pass pulled back on the stick and slammed it into the ground HARD!!!! After a few hours and a bunch of Epoxy she not only flies good but looks good as well. Having had this type of brain failure in the past I can tell you without out a doubt that the BH planes do not return from such an impact different type of foam for sure. I'm giving this plane a 9.5 and have ordered a more powerful motor 3400kv I believe making this a ten plus plane for sure! For those wondering hand launches are no trouble I don't install the landing gear or armorment but can see no problem hand launching with gear installed.

Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:19 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
This tends to be a slower plane than most this size. I just fly mine scale.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Totally!!
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Jan 2009
1,101 Posts
Mine moves pretty good with a sapac 70mm in it. And also with foam you should use foam safe super glue because the exopy will eventually get brittle, I have seen wings fall off foam planes because of this. Thin c.a sorta creates a chemical reaction where it gets into both sides and creates a better bond, but use thin c.a
bolibruch1 is offline Find More Posts by bolibruch1
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:37 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,060 Posts
Well the main thing is to ad a CF rod through the whole thing. Why Andy didn't at least use Rods from the wings into the fuse is beyond me.

I'll bet Andy's new 90mm F-18 is just like this one when it comes to the design of the wing to the fuse as strength goes.

So sad Sapac is gone now. I hope the New company continues to market the Combo under a new name. The MB-1 is one of the best COST EDF combos out there. I have it in both my T-50's & Venom F-86.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut