HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Ok, so how did you guys repair the ball joints on the retracts? I just got one of these yesterday for my 10yr old son anf flew it today Great plane and sweet flyer! I flew it 2 times with a 2500 4s and then I put a 4s 4000 30c XPS pack in it What a difference!! The extra weight only had an effect on landing, and even then it wasn't much. But futzing around with the "toe-in" on the ball links I split 2 of them Probably a good thing as they most likely would have split on a mildly rough landing anyway
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:09 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Also, I haven't messed with the fan yet but anyone know what the shaft size is on the motor and the rotor hub? I assume it's a 4mm?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:57 PM
Totally!!
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Jan 2009
1,063 Posts
I used 450 size heli ball ends the stock ones will break just a matter of time, the ones I used are align Fred 450...
bolibruch1 is offline Find More Posts by bolibruch1
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:05 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Did you use the heli threaded part too?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Ok the T-Rex 500 ball links are thicker around the threaded area and uses 2-56 threaded rods. The entire fix was $4 and is easily 3 times stronger

BTW,
I agree with Bajora here on the stock power system Just use a 3200 30c pack and it changes this plane's whole power band! It has more power, flies smoother, and now I get a solid 5 minutes. My 9yr old son LOVES this plane and the way it flies
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Ok the T-Rex 500 ball links are thicker around the threaded area and uses 2-56 threaded rods. The entire fix was $4 and is easily 3 times stronger

BTW,
I agree with Bajora here on the stock power system Just use a 3200 30c pack and it changes this plane's whole power band! It has more power, flies smoother, and now I get a solid 5 minutes. My 9yr old son LOVES this plane and the way it flies
Hopefully the great flying characteristics will be kept with the 90mm version and uses the same quality foam just a bigger aircraft...

Anyone heard anything on the 90mm version yet?
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:04 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
This one lands so nice! What a blast to see my son grease it. I admit a bit more speed would be nice, but for the weight penalty and loss of flight time I'd rather it be 10mph slower and not punish anything. Andy got it right! Great balance of speed and flight time.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:44 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
465 Posts
Quote:
This one lands so nice! What a blast to see my son grease it. I admit a bit more speed would be nice, but for the weight penalty and loss of flight time I'd rather it be 10mph slower and not punish anything. Andy got it right! Great balance of speed and flight time.
For sure. I have an RC Lander in mine & the ball links on the rotating landing gear just can't handle it. I'm going to go with a lighter fan unit.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Well I am thrilled to report that with the 30c 4000 pack and the new T-Rex 500 ball links it performed perfect and never had an issue with the ball links and he even missed the runway and landed in the dirt over run area! MUCH better!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
465 Posts
I also replaced my ball links over the weekend and they seem more sturdy but I have yet to fly it.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:01 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
465 Posts
After adding ball links, I felt like doing a little more to this plane.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:42 AM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
350 Posts
Wow! That really looks cool with the added missiles and ordinance! Where did you get them from, and have you noticed much difference in performance with all the added drag?
sniper1 is online now Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:26 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
I have tried this fix, but the retracts, but the new links and rods hold up the retracts from extending. I have tried carving out the ball link hole a bit and making the rods twist as easily in the threaded area...any help would be appreciated, as I am grounded due to my original ones stripping out. Thanks much! Wes

Quote:

BTW,
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:06 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,250 Posts
Hi Wes,
I also experienced this same issue. It was a combination of 2 problems.

1. Overall length of new tie bar was too long.
I simply unscrewed the parts and and ground off 1/16th" total from both new ball swivels. This also allowed me to correctly adjust the "toe in" with the suspension compressed. Now it rolls much easier. When I lift the plane up it has a great deal of "toe in" now but this is ok. Before it had a bunch of "toe out" when on the wheels that caused a lot of drag.

2. The ball swivels need to be lubed and angled correctly.
If you lay the tie bar on a table, one should be flat the other at almost a 45 degree angle to the flat one. If the angles aren't right it puts a bunch of bind on the unit as it tries to rotate. Make sure you pop them off and use vaseline or simular to throughly lube the ball swivels. The new ones are much tighter, which is a good thing, but also means you need to pay attention to it. They will loosen up after a few cycles with lube.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:40 PM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,282 Posts
Hi.
Don't use vaseline on plastics (or latex!). Try fine oil.
To avoid crack of the plastic, run many loops of threead (I used kevlar thread) and then apply CA. This will strengthen the plastic link. I tried several links for the stock bolts from my helis and ended up using the stock ones, moded as I described. Also run CA in the threaded part of the plastic too.
So far it keeps fine.
Best
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss