HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:03 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Hi All

I'm looking at the 'Kit' version of the F/A-18 (can't afford the ARF atm) to replace my recently demolished Freewing SU-34 (may that most magnificent flyer RIP ).

I'm probably initially just planning on even using one of the Freewing motors and esc's on the 70mm fan (I presume that will work ok).

Anyway I was wondering if the Kit version has the mouldings etc to be easily set up wuth retracts later on?

Also has anyone set up retracts on one of these using a cheaper system than the Exceed/Arc system (e.g. something from Hobby City).

I appologise in advance if these questions have been answered somewhere else in the thread but I couldn't find them.

Cheers for any help or advice!!
If you get the retract version of the kit, it will have everything you need to set it up (i.e. the retracts, gear doors, hinges, etc.). It should also come with all the necessary hardware to convert from retracts to fixed gear if you want to go that route.

I haven't seen anyone try different retracts yet. If you plan on using other retracts, be sure that that the main gears rotate 90 degrees as they retract into the wheel wells.

One of the coolest features of the included retracts is the semi-scale appearance of the main gears. They pivot and have some shock absorbtion, very similar to the real Super Hornets landing gear.
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:54 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
KIT Retract Readiness

Hi All

I'm looking at the 'Kit' version of the F/A-18 (can't afford the ARF atm) to replace my recently demolished Freewing SU-34 (may that most magnificent flyer RIP ).

I'm probably initially just planning on even using one of the Freewing motors and esc's on the 70mm fan (I presume that will work ok).
The edf unit out of you su will not work the motor is to small of diameter to screw into a 70mm fan and the 64mm will not fit to well or put out that much thrust Becuse to much air leakes around the fan, I have the same motors and tryied it while I was waiting on my 70mm to come in, take a look at the jettech f-15 every thing you got for your su will slide right over to the f-15, and it fiberglass. About $200 tho, but don't let that you stop you for getting the f-18 Becuse it is a great flying jet
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
I have not taken mine out yet due to the poor weather her in NY. Does this plane have any noteable differances in flying habits when the gear is up or down?
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughitaliankid View Post
I have not taken mine out yet due to the poor weather her in NY. Does this plane have any noteable differances in flying habits when the gear is up or down?
Can't speak for every on but I notice some noticeable pitch changes and it's a good bit slower with them down too
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:39 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,817 Posts
Cheers for the advice guys!
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
28 Posts
Rudders

Hi all, i just bought the Jolly Roger from Nitroplanes and would like some directions on how install the rudders.. can i use 2 9gr servos? I search for all this thread but can't find any directions on that. Thanks
dmoreira is offline Find More Posts by dmoreira
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:41 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I dont have rudders on mine but they go either above or below where the elevator servos are, hope that makes sense

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:05 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,938 Posts
Similar to this:

You could cut off the rudder tabs, then use the remaining cut-outs in the fuselage for the rudder servos.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Oct 2010
28 Posts
Rudders

Thanks a lot j3tman and fredmdbud for the tips.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Thanks for posting that, it is a perfect example to go off from.

j3tman,
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2010
28 Posts
Battery Bay Area

I planning to buy 2 or 3 more batteries for my new F-18 before it arrives (1 month) and would like to know if someone could help on the measures of the battery bay area. i'm planning buy this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9364 but i'm not sure if it will fit or if it's too much heavy. Any advice will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Those should fit just fine but I would go for something with a higher "C" rating (30C+), just because you get a lot more punch with your batteries.

j3tman,
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Oct 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Those should fit just fine but I would go for something with a higher "C" rating (30C+), just because you get a lot more punch with your batteries.

j3tman,
Thanks a lot... j3tman Your help make my final decision... going to HK checkout
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:04 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Check out hobby lobby rc they have a 4s 3200 mAh 20c that works great I got one for mine and I get about 4 min. Out of mine pluse there like 40 bucks http://www.hobby-lobby.com/4_cell_14...33773_prd1.htm
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:00 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
You should be getting at least 5 minutes out of that battey. Especially if it's the stock power system. I get almost 4 minutes out of a 2200 45c in my T-50 with a Sapac MB-1 combo. It's very close to the same size & weght as your F/A-18

How much do you have left after 4 minutes?
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut