SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
I dont have my F-18 in front of me, but if you seal or reduce the holes in the wheel wells that should reduce the vacuum that pulls the gear doors up prematurly.

I mounted my gear doors last night and never though of a prematuring closing issue.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:04 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2bgman View Post
I totally agree!! When I rebuild mine, I'm leaving the main gear doors off and will glue down the front gear door and slot it like I did before. I think the rears close early due to the the added power that we have. When I flew with the stock fan/motor, the rear gear doors worked fine.
Yeah I did the same for the front as you did thanks for the idea of that btw lol and for the rear door it the faster airflow over the jet that close's them but I would like to see some one do servo mod.

Now the 90mm f-18 that there about to come out with is going to have gear door work by the servos
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:52 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
So I got to fly today, my wife did not want to be there and only filmed for a few seconds and then gave up so this is what she did get. I was still going vertical when she stopped filming and continued to keep it going but this gives you an idea of what she will do till I get a new photographer. On a side note landing was a little rough because I had to make a no power down wing landing which was my stupid fault but I bent all three gear were the screw in the servo part but thats a easy fix, and I got the plane in another wicked stall it was tumbling on all three axis out of the sky I just left all the controls neutral and gave it full power and it recover itself in a dive! Now I can read you mind, you saying is his cg off, well no but it does set perfectly level at the cg point

f 18 flight (0 min 48 sec)
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:03 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Looks great!!! even with the short film it looks like a fantastic flyer (might just be you ). So tell me if i'm wrong did you bend the gear strut or the were the gear attach's to the plane?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:14 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Na I did not bend the actual strut, I bent the part that ataches the gear to the retrack part they bend pretty ez
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:16 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Looks great!!! even with the short film it looks like a fantastic flyer (might just be you ). So tell me if i'm wrong did you bend the gear strut or the were the gear attach's to the plane?

j3tman,
Thank you jet man, when you going to fly yours
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I don't even know

j3tman,
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Can somebody post a pic of how you set your retract doors up.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:25 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughitaliankid View Post
I would not even waste time with them I have been in r/c for 15 years and I still could not get them to work the rear doors close as soon as air starts to flow over them and the frount gear will get hung up on the doors once it in the air the only way I could see the front doors working is if you go with a single wheel nose strut look at ez2 pics of his nose wheel thats what I had to end up doing as well and if you look at the pic of his crsh you will see what I mean about the rear doors. Trust me on this I spent over 20 hours trying to make them work and they dont lol
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:32 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
I don't even know

j3tman,
man you need to get her up soon, you must live way up north lol
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:46 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Actually im in the Midwest, its all a matter of finding time and good weather.

j3tman,
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:03 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
So I got to fly today, my wife did not want to be there and only filmed for a few seconds and then gave up so this is what she did get. I was still going vertical when she stopped filming and continued to keep it going but this gives you an idea of what she will do till I get a new photographer. On a side note landing was a little rough because I had to make a no power down wing landing which was my stupid fault but I bent all three gear were the screw in the servo part but thats a easy fix, and I got the plane in another wicked stall it was tumbling on all three axis out of the sky I just left all the controls neutral and gave it full power and it recover itself in a dive! Now I can read you mind, you saying is his cg off, well no but it does set perfectly level at the cg point
Nice flight John. Isn't that an RC Lander fan in there? What motor are you using? I hope to be ordering my replacement fuselage soon. We have a funfly at our field in April and I want to have her back together by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughitaliankid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
I would not even waste time with them I have been in r/c for 15 years and I still could not get them to work the rear doors close as soon as air starts to flow over them and the frount gear will get hung up on the doors once it in the air the only way I could see the front doors working is if you go with a single wheel nose strut look at ez2 pics of his nose wheel thats what I had to end up doing as well and if you look at the pic of his crsh you will see what I mean about the rear doors. Trust me on this I spent over 20 hours trying to make them work and they dont lol
Like John stated, the gear doors aren't worth the effort to try to get them working correctly. The mains fit tight enough in the wheel wells that there shouldn't be much of an airflow penalty for leaving them off. As John mentioned, I glued my front gear doors to the fuselage and then slotted them to fit the front gear as it retracts. I have some pics a few pages back.
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:24 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Yes that's the lander 68mm LEDFDS68-1A36 the Motor is a KV:3580and it Weighs 245 grams, and I'm using a 4s 3200 mAh 20c. It seams to be a good set up
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Kit Only Retracts Question

Hi All

I'm looking at the 'Kit' version of the F/A-18 (can't afford the ARF atm) to replace my recently demolished Freewing SU-34 (may that most magnificent flyer RIP ).

I'm probably initially just planning on even using one of the Freewing motors and esc's on the 70mm fan (I presume that will work ok).

Anyway I was wondering if the Kit version has the mouldings etc to be easily set up wuth retracts later on?

Also has anyone set up retracts on one of these using a cheaper system than the Exceed/Arc system (e.g. something from Hobby City).

I appologise in advance if these questions have been answered somewhere else in the thread but I couldn't find them.

Cheers for any help or advice!!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:28 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
KIT Retract Readiness

Hi All

I'm looking at the 'Kit' version of the F/A-18 (can't afford the ARF atm) to replace my recently demolished Freewing SU-34 (may that most magnificent flyer RIP ).

I'm probably initially just planning on even using one of the Freewing motors and esc's on the 70mm fan (I presume that will work ok).

Anyway I was wondering if the Kit version has the mouldings etc to be easily set up wuth retracts later on?

Also has anyone set up retracts on one of these using a cheaper system than the Exceed/Arc system (e.g. something from Hobby City).

I appologise in advance if these questions have been answered somewhere else in the thread but I couldn't find them.

Cheers for any help or advice!!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63