HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:12 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
So this is my last mod I think. But I could not stand the side rails on the wing they were way to big so I made some new ones out of balsa wood
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:46 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Sweet!!! what do they look like on the plane?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:59 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Well just got them on I guess they dont look to bad, but more important is they will save my wing tips if you notice on the on pic you will see a control horn to keep it from scraping the wings
Last edited by john_53_70; Mar 06, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Wow they look really good, and im sure they will do a great job at saving your wingtips.

j3tman,
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
Well just got them on I guess they dont look to bad, but more important is they will save my wing tips if you notice on the on pic you will see a srevo arm to keep it from scraping the wings
Great job on those rails, John. Very good idea on using control horns as skids.

That's three main reason I installed the wingtip missiles on my Hornet. Prior to my crash, both missiles had the bottom fins scuffed up.

To answer your other question, John. I'm making good progress on my other EDF (a Phase 3 Squall). I'm filling the hanger rash with light weight spackle and glassing some areas for added strength. Will be coating the entire plane with WBPA and painting her soon. Then add the electronics and she will be done. I'm actually using the fan/motor and ESC from the F/A-18 in my Squall, since it's more powerful.
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,177 Posts
Hi guys I've been flying me F-18 for a month or so now and I really like it, it has about 20 flights on it and with the exception of the retracts occasionally sticking it works well. IMO it's definitely under-powered but that can be fixed with a new motor/fan/esc combo, I have done a mod to the exhaust area...it's a big freakin hole behind the edf unit that has a pretty crappy break into the twin exhaust outlets so I cut a piece of 5mm depron and made a splitter that goes up to the back of the edf unit and divides the huge hole into two smaller ones. I did a static test and it gave me a few more ounces of thrust then without it, I'll do a test flight on it tomorrow and see how it works, are there any other cool intake or exhaust mods on here or that you guys might know off? Regards Justin.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:11 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Justin,

The optimal thing to do would be to cut out the center of the dual exhaust and install a thrust tube. It wouldn't look very good on the ground, but you also wouldn't be able to see it in the air and there would probably a very noticeable performance increase. Other than this, upgrade the fan/motor/esc as you mentioned earlier.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
I like the balsa ralis. I may do the same and paint them black for mt Jolly Roger version. I always getted worked up over pre painted kits when it comes to finding touch up paint.

Later today I will be taking a gear door and missle to Home Depot and placing it against the paint color scanner to create a matching shade of grey if needed. I have not done this with any other jets yet. Has anyone else tried this as a paint matching option?
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:07 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,716 Posts
You can bring it to home depot and probably other places, and the paint department cam match it for you. I believe they have a computer to do it as well. As long as the object you bring them is flat it should work for matching.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:33 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
sorry I forgot to add this pic
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:56 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Got the second flight in today and I've came to the conclusion the gear doors are junk! The front won't close with out getting caught on the doors and the rear close before you can take off so if your just building the jet don't waste your time with them unless you use servos
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Did you get any video?

j3tman,
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:21 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Sorry not yet I hoping I can tomorrow tho, it was a last minuet kinda thing right at dusk
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Well if you do go flying tomorrow best of luck to yah

j3tman,
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:05 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
Got the second flight in today and I've came to the conclusion the gear doors are junk! The front won't close with out getting caught on the doors and the rear close before you can take off so if your just building the jet don't waste your time with them unless you use servos
I totally agree!! When I rebuild mine, I'm leaving the main gear doors off and will glue down the front gear door and slot it like I did before. I think the rears close early due to the the added power that we have. When I flew with the stock fan/motor, the rear gear doors worked fine.