HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:11 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
So if I remember right thats like 3 of the 5 flying that have gone down not a good track recorded so far! sorry for the lose ez2, think I might ground mine for awhile till we get all the bugs worked out lol
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
So if I remember right thats like 3 of the 5 flying that have gone down not a good track recorded so far! sorry for the lose ez2, think I might ground mine for awhile till we get all the bugs worked out lol
Uh, I don't think I would really jump to any conclusions about this airframe being defective or responsible for the crashes? Mine is still going strong, as I am sure are others? 3 of the 5 that folks are in this thread talking about this plane doesn't really make for the majority of how many may be out there.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
can anyone tell me if this is the same aircraft that is being sold by RCcastle, it seems to have all the same specs.. and they sell them a bit cheaper if it is.also what is peoples opinion of the reliabilty of these planes when left stock?
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Well mine was a result of builder's error. I should have secured the battery better. When running a high power set up, the CG is crucial in a jet like the F/A-18 Super Hornet. The added weight of the upgraded fan/motor shifted the cg way back. At least I learned a valuable lesson. My next build will definitely have everything very secure so that no shifting can occur, especially once the power of the Cyclone motor kicks in.
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
can anyone tell me if this is the same aircraft that is being sold by RCcastle, it seems to have all the same specs.. and they sell them a bit cheaper if it is.also what is peoples opinion of the reliabilty of these planes when left stock?
There's another thread on here about the RC Castle version. I do believe it is the same model. When left stock and using the recommended 4S 2200mah or 4S 2650mah battery, she will fly fine. You won't have unlimited vetical, but it will perform well. Leave off all the missles and fuel tanks to reduce drag. With the stock motor, an 80A ESC, and a 4S 3000mah 40C lipo mine flew very well, even with the added weight of the bigger battery and 20 mph winds.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2bgman View Post
Well mine was a result of builder's error. I should have secured the battery better. When running a high power set up, the CG is crucial in a jet like the F/A-18 Super Hornet. The added weight of the upgraded fan/motor shifted the cg way back. At least I learned a valuable lesson. My next build will definitely have everything very secure so that no shifting can occur, especially once the power of the Cyclone motor kicks in.

No I understand what y'all mean it's just kinda sad to hear of the few crashes with the wing folding up and then yours with the battery, but yes I did see how sensitive this jet can be when the cg is even perfectly level, but on your battery did you remove any of the foam to make you battery fit or did it slide in nicely, Becuse in mine you really have to force it in there wondering if I should do something there with mine
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
but on your battery did you remove any of the foam to make you battery fit or did it slide in nicely, Becuse in mine you really have to force it in there wondering if I should do something there with mine
My battery was also a very tight fit plus I had a velcro strap hot glued to the battery compartment as well. But as we know, that wasn't enough to hold the battery down with the extra thrust and hard climb that I did. But rest assured, it won't happen again.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:53 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
My battery was also a very tight fit plus I had a velcro strap hot glued to the battery compartment as well. But as we know, that wasn't enough to hold the battery down with the extra thrust and hard climb that I did. But rest assured, it won't happen again.
Wow ok back to the drawing bored to figure out how I can keep my battery in, Thanks for the heads up
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:21 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,898 Posts
In almost all my planes, whether that be EDF's, pylons, etc, I cut out a small rectangle shape foam piece in front of and in back of the battery while it's at it's correct CG. I just hot glue these pieces in and there is no possible movement for the battery. I also use Velcro straps in addition to the foam stoppers. I can take a picture of what I'm describing if you would like.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Last edited by T-CAT; Mar 01, 2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:33 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
In almost all my planes, whether that be EDF's, pylons, etc, I cut out a small rectangle shape foam piece in front of and in back of the battery while it's at it's correct CG. I just hot glue thise pieces in and there is no possible movement for the battery. I also use Velcro straps in addition to the foam stoppers. I can take a picture of what I'm describing if you would like.
Please do I think I know what you mean tho but I would still like to see it
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:20 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,898 Posts
No problem at all. Here's some pics of one of my foam pylon racers. This plane has two foam holders hot glued in, but only one (the orange one) is visible, as the other is right up next to the firewall. It just happened to work out that way. As you can see, I also left just enough room to route the wires where I wanted them and they are very snug when in place. I hope this helps a bit.

Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:23 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
In almost all my planes, whether that be EDF's, pylons, etc, I cut out a small rectangle shape foam piece in front of and in back of the battery while it's at it's correct CG. I just hot glue thise pieces in and there is no possible movement for the battery. I also use Velcro straps in addition to the foam stoppers. I can take a picture of what I'm describing if you would like.
That's exactly what I did as well. But I made a last minute change the night before and shifted the battery as far forward as possible and forgot to move my "foam stopper".

Another thing that can be done is to make a battery tray out of light ply, attach some sticky back velcro to it, glue down a regular velcro strap, and then glue the tray down inside the battery compartment. Then attach the other part of the sticky velcro to the battery. When the battery is mounted, the battery is then velcroed to the tray and then the strap is tightened down over it. This is how we secure our batteries in our helicopters and I have yet to throw a battery during very rapid pirouettes or during a crash. This is how I'm going to secure the battery on the next build!
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:31 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,898 Posts
Great idea about the plywood battery tray ez2. Definitely post up pics of that when you're done building it on the next jet. That would be cool to see.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:01 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Great idea about the plywood battery tray ez2. Definitely post up pics of that when you're done building it on the next jet. That would be cool to see.
I'm in the process of building another EDF now. The "battery tray" method is what I will be using to secure the battery in this plane as well, especially since I'm hopping it up from the start.

When I get to that area of the build, I'll take some pics of the battery compartment and post it here.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:42 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
I'm in the process of building another EDF now. The "battery tray" method is what I will be using to secure the battery in this plane as well, especially since I'm hopping it up from the start.

When I get to that area of the build, I'll take some pics of the battery compartment and post it here.
Any luck on the new plane