HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:53 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
I'll try to get me a camra person this weekend too, this jet is really impressive flying jet, but like all ways I've already got the bug for a jet tech f-15 lol so on to the next for me, this is getting out of control for me but if any on figures out the front gear door let me know I think I've decided to do what ez2bgman did
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2bgman View Post
Unless you use foam safe CA, regular CA will eat right through the foam. I used 15 min epoxy. It gave me plenty of time to adjust the parts, if needed, and it is less brittle than 5 min epoxy or CA.
Thanks E. Hmm, I have always been told not to you Epoxy on EPO like this F-18. Please let me know how the glue holds up under high stress when flying. I may use epoxy, as I prefer it on my jets. Some of my jets that are EPO don't have that strong of a hold (but it may be good enough) when I try to pull the pieces apart. The glue will pull apart in one long strip after it dries (even though a lot of force is needed to pull apart). I am just trying to figure out if it has a strong enough hold when flying.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Thanks E. Hmm, I have always been told not to you Epoxy on EPO like this F-18. Please let me know how the glue holds up under high stress when flying. I may use epoxy, as I prefer it on my jets. Some of my jets that are EPO don't have that strong of a hold (but it may be good enough) when I try to pull the pieces apart. The glue will pull apart in one long strip after it dries (even though a lot of force is needed to pull apart). I am just trying to figure out if it has a strong enough hold when flying.
T-Cat,

The key thing to get epoxy to bond well on any smooth surface, like EPO foam, is to scuff it first. I used a coarse grit sand paper, 180 grit I think, to scuff all mating surfaces first. Removing all the paint is also a must as well. As long as the two surfaces have been scuffed up, you shouldn't have any problem.

I did another brief test before I left for work tonight. With the battery that I've been using for set up, I held the plane vertical, applied full power and she was barely starting to lift from my hands. I am even more confident that with a fully charged battery, the performance will be ballistic!
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,920 Posts
Thanks E. I'll definitely scuff the heck out of the surface. I've always sanded the pieces but haven't scuffed it. Great advice and I can't wait to see your jet haul. Hopefully you can get some video.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:02 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2bgman View Post
I did another brief test before I left for work tonight. With the battery that I've been using for set up, I held the plane vertical, applied full power and she was barely starting to lift from my hands. I am even more confident that with a fully charged battery, the performance will be ballistic!
I belive it should Cuse when I used my 3200 mAh battery it almost would lift out of my hand now with my 2200mah battery I had to hold down to keep from flying out of my hand so I belive with these hot power units it's going to be all about the battery weight
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:57 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Thanks E. I'll definitely scuff the heck out of the surface. I've always sanded the pieces but haven't scuffed it. Great advice and I can't wait to see your jet haul. Hopefully you can get some video.
I'll definitely have video again. My buddy who recorded me last Sunday will be out there this Sunday with his video camera again. Hopefully one of my other buddies will be out there so that I can have him take some good action shots with my Nikon using my 200mm zoom lense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
I belive it should Cuse when I used my 3200 mAh battery it almost would lift out of my hand now with my 2200mah battery I had to hold down to keep from flying out of my hand so I belive with these hot power units it's going to be all about the battery weight
Yea if it wasn't for the rear offset of the Cyclone motor in the Sapac fan, I would use my 4S 2650mah 40C packs. But I needed the additional weight of the 3000mah packs to maintain the cg.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:34 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Yeah I have the same thing with the lander unit it puts the cg way back there but I think it fly's a little better that way
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Well I'm getting ready to head out to the field. I should have video posted later this evening of how she performs with the new Sapac fan/Cyclone motor combo.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,920 Posts
Good luck!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
I just got one for $180,.... RR version at the WRAM Show earlier today. Can't wait to get it together and airwothy. I want to see those gears go up and down over and over!
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Old Feb 27, 2011, 04:47 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Don't cycle them to much I wore one out trying to get the gear doors working
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Can't wait for some super fast F18 hornet action!!!

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Can't wait for some super fast F18 hornet action!!!

j3tman,
Well I have good news and bad news...

The good news:

The plane was a rocket with the Sapac Fan/Cyclone motor. I started my takeoff roll and was about half throttle by the time she got to me. I then punched it to full throttle, applied up elevator, and lept off the ground at about a 45 degree angle without so much of a hint of slowing down. This is definitely a very potent combo.

The bad news:

During the fast takeoff/climb, the battery shifted aft, completely throwing the cg way off. As I throttled back and began my right banking turn, she became completely unstable; rocking from one wing to the other and even rolling inverted. Struggle as I may, I could not regain control and she went down about 30 seconds into the flight.

The entire front from the canopy forward was ripped off and broke into many pieces. All the electronics survived unscathed, not a single servo was stripped. The battery was ejected upon impact and was found about 20 feet from the fuselage. The battery suffered no damage and because it was ejected, there was no damage to the fan, motor, or esc.

While I was pissed off (who wouldn't be ), I'm taking this as a learning experience. I obviously didn't have the battery secured well enough, although I should have known better since I have enough experience with securing battery packs in high power electric and nitro helis .

I will be ordering another fuselage kit and rebuilding her, this time incorporating some of the things I did when I assembled the ARF version. I will probably mount the fan further forward. I'm also going to make the belly pan easier to remove, by screwing it into hardwood mounts that I will epoxy into the fuselage. I hated having to scrape the hot glue off every time I wanted access to the esc or fan/motor. I will also permanantly mount a light ply battery tray into the fuselage (once I find the CG of course ) and velcro the battery to the tray as well as strapping it down with a velcro strap.

I will definitely keep you guys updated and post pics of any mods that I do. I will take my time with this one and do it right. Sorry I didn't get any video of the crash, but my camera man was flying his heli at the time that I decided to fly.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,920 Posts
Awe man, I'm sorry to hear about that ez2. That's the worst feeling on a maiden flight. Luckily, the rear of the fuselage almost looks unscathed.

The good thing is that you know the jet has plenty of power to do what you want with it. I'm sure the next build will be quicker to get up and running and better all around. Tha ks for reporting back to everyone.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Darn man It's hard to watch such a jet go down like that but on the bright side your taking this as a learning experience and so should everyone else on this thread. Are you going to get the same paint scheme for your next kick?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman