SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:00 AM
Joined Jan 2005
3 Posts
F-18 Exceed R/C Nitroplanes

I bought the plane after watching videos and reading as much as possible. I am only having trouble with closing the gear doors. I use the DX6i with a DSM2 rx. I have the gear doors installed with the springs in the correct positions. I tested the mains with the doors closed and the gear would not overcome the magnetic force, so I will use a small piece of metal on the fuselage and the magnet on the door instead of the 2 magnet setup, no biggy there. I have tried rubber bands and sewing thread to tie the doors to the pockets, and no matter where I attach, the gear is just not strong enough to close and pull the doors closed. I have gotten close on the nose gear but when I get the thread tight enough , the gear jams in the doors. a little less tension and the doors stay open a bit. Even though it will add weight I am thinking of adding 3 servos for the gear door duty and just running them on the aux(flaps) channel. more work on the bench and in the air, but I want these doors to close darnit! anybody have success with door closing and can post pictures would be great. I have seen the videos of the gear working and the doors closing, but they dont show the detail of the inside of the gear pockets to show the mechanicals of how the string or rubber band is used. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. I too am thinking of the larger F-22 I saw online now thanks to Exceed for giving me the edf bug. I noticed the F-22 has 2 motors for the landing gear one to put the gear down/up and a motor to close the doors.
hrwatson68 is offline Find More Posts by hrwatson68
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:15 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
I think if you get the servos to work for the gear door would be awesome but I had a lot of trouble getting my gear door to work just make sure your nose one has a lot of slack in it and that the servo arm part is to the back of the plane and that the gear is screwed down tight
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:02 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I only used the gear doors on the front wheel.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
The rear doors are not to bad if you use the magnets the airflow when flying really helps
It close
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
I too had the same exact problem with my front landing gear doors. While upside down, the front gear cycled perfectly but as soon as I held her upright, the wheels would get stuck on the doors. I ended up just hot gluing the doors down and slotting them so the gear could still retract. Here are a couple of pics that I took with my phone.

On the rear doors, I used rubber bands. I cut a slot in front of the magnets, hot glued one end there and then tied it through the existing holes in the doors. I then adjusted the slack until the doors properly closed while the Super Hornet was upright or inverted.

I'm in the process now of reinforcing all the landing gear blocks now. The front blocks and the right main blocks came loose after flying on Sunday. So I popped all the blocks off, sanded them down and have reattached the mains with 15 minute eopxy. I will reattach the front blocks the same way and then I will figure out a more reliable method for steering.
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:18 AM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
Hey guys...For those of you who have this 70mm Exceed F/A-18 & the EPO 70mm MIG-15, (with all things being equal, motor size, battery type & weight) which seems to be the fastest & best flying of the two?

I have both in kit form, just wondering which one I should put my hottest motor setup in...

Thanks
-Rick
Anyone?
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:42 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
I don't have the mig but I think you would be happier with the big motor in the f-18 but which one do you want to fly the most and which one you want to perform the best is the one I would Put it in
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
Hey John, where in south Alabama are you? Moved here recently and am trying to find a club to learn to fly with. I'm in Dothan.
JeffinAL is offline Find More Posts by JeffinAL
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
So just discovered that my nose wheel does the same thing when held up right so I guess it back to the drawing bored
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Jetman have you tried yours upright yet
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinAL View Post
Hey John, where in south Alabama are you? Moved here recently and am trying to find a club to learn to fly with. I'm in Dothan.
Iím in Elberta Al which is along the gulf coast, probably about 2 hours from Dothan. But I donít do the whole club thing anyway; some friends and I go out to a crop duster field in the middle of a 200 acre sod field with a paved runway. Its awesome nobody can complain about noise, itís free to use, and I can go whenever I want and I donít have to do a dang thing around there to keep it going lol
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
For my front wheel retract/geer door setup, sometimes it works perfectly but the front geer does get caught on the doors. Its all a matter a fefinieng it I had to do a little shaving of the gear doors for the wheel to fit in better, might do a little work a see what happends.

I think the F18 would be faster!!

j3tman,
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,413 Posts
Just to confirm....is everyone using CA or Epoxy to assemble the jet? Everyone says CA is stronger for these EPO foam even when going fast. I may use regular CA with no kicker.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Just to confirm....is everyone using CA or Epoxy to assemble the jet? Everyone says CA is stronger for these EPO foam even when going fast. I may use regular CA with no kicker.
Unless you use foam safe CA, regular CA will eat right through the foam. I used 15 min epoxy. It gave me plenty of time to adjust the parts, if needed, and it is less brittle than 5 min epoxy or CA.

Well I installed the Sapac fan/Cyclone motor combo from RC Castle. I had to do quite a bit of trimming to get it to fit right. It also pushed my CG way aft since the motor is essentially mounted outside of the fan shroud. I moved my 3000mah lipo as far forward as I could and added 1/2 oz. of weight to the front of the front wheel well. Balance is dead on now and she's only 4 oz. heavier.

Without a fully charged battery, I looped some 550 cord around the wings and tied the end to my fish scale. At full throttle, I was showing 3 lbs 1 oz of thrust on the digital fish scale. I'm positive that I'll get even more with a fresh battery and proper airflow to the fan. I should have unlimited vertical now.

I can't wait to get out to the field this Sunday. I will definitely get some more video so we can all see a direct comparison from my flights last Sunday with the stock fan/motor.
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I am very much looking forward to your flight!!! I wanna see what this f18 can really do on a hot setup.

j3tman,