HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:38 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Should be able to do my first flight today as long as the wife gets back in time with my
Truck
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:43 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
My Maiden Flight

Here is the video of my maiden flight today (Sunday). Although we battled 20 mph winds all day long, I was surprised at how well she handled it. This video was filmed using the stock fan/motor, Exceed RC Volcano series 80A ESC, Sky Lipo 4s 40C 3000mah Batteries, and 2 additional servos for the rudder all from HobbyPartz.com.

Next weekend I will have the Sapac fan/Cyclone motor combo installed. She should really wake up with the additional power that this combo will provide.

ExceedRC F/A-18 Super Hornet (4 min 44 sec)
ez2bgman is offline Find More Posts by ez2bgman
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Feb 2010
372 Posts
Wausers!

Nice flying there, loved that fast landing and aggressive inverts!
colinski is offline Find More Posts by colinski
Last edited by colinski; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:40 AM
Germany
Joined May 2009
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinski View Post
Wausers!

Nice flying there, loved that fast landing and aggrasive inverts!
This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, it is not available in your country.

i hate this sentence in youtube!
GaryX1001 is online now Find More Posts by GaryX1001
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:11 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Ez2bgman, I like your flying style good job
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinski View Post
Wausers!

Nice flying there, loved that fast landing and aggrasive inverts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryX1001 View Post
This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, it is not available in your country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
Ez2bgman, I like your flying style good job
Thanks guys. Because of the 20 mph winds, I was really nervous about maidening her. But she handles the wind pretty well. When I first took off, a gust of wind almost pushed me into the ground!!

Once I change the fan/motor out, I'll be able to be more aggressive and fly lower since I will have the power to bail out if things go wrong.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Great job on the maiden!!!!

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryX1001 View Post

You might not feel so bad if you realized which song it blocked!

But a cool video nonetheless and nice flying. What kind of camera did you shoot it with?
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
926 Posts
Hey guys...For those of you who have this 70mm Exceed F/A-18 & the EPO 70mm MIG-15, (with all things being equal, motor size, battery type & weight) which seems to be the fastest & best flying of the two?

I have both in kit form, just wondering which one I should put my hottest motor setup in...

Thanks
-Rick
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:45 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Ok guys so today I got to fly mine for the first time, with good news and bad news first the good news I took off flew it around and landed it all in one pice more one how it flew in a minuet bad news is I had a 15 mph cross wind the jet was a little tail heavy with battery all the way fowerd and the I broke the noise wheel loose again that thing is giving me fits I've used both epoxy and hot glue and it still came loose, and the other is my wife fell asleep on the way so no video. But far as how it flew was pretty good my rear gear doors closed before I could get the gear up so I had to fly it gear down, guess I got a little more adjusting to do. But takeoff is a little bit longer than what I've seen on the videos bit mine is a little heaver then the stock ones. Climb out was nice set up the trim needed a good bit of down trim. I did not really ring it out being it was the first flight. I did notice on mine you need some power in to make turn good. Next I set up for a good speed pass nailed the throttle to full and went to the vertical and it just keep going very happy there now I'm not going to say it is unlimited vertical but it's very close to it next I did a stall which was like every one else say,s but next I tried a a turning stall with some power and what a surprise I got I was about 45 degrees nose high and when stalled it started a very aggressive right roll it rolled flat like six times before I got her back so watch out for that next I tried my tailorans witch made a huge difference in how it handled next I tried a loop and this is where I fail in love with the plane on the bottom part of the loop it fail flat for a second until the thrust cought up with the plane, if you watch a real supper hornet demo you will sell the tail slide on loops and and the tail stand so that is one thing I was really hopping for and very happy about that, and the way it flew over all. Landing was normal like every one else said so I got a few adjustments to make, I'm going to make some more scale missle rails for the wing tips to act as gaurd from scraping the runway but I'm a pretty happy camper so far
Last edited by john_53_70; Feb 22, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:53 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Thats good news about your maiden flight, for the landing gear did you also use the screws?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Well mine did not come with screw so I had to go out and buys some so yeah I got screws in and there beefy to
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined Jun 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70 View Post
Well mine did not come with screw so I had to go out and buys some so yeah I got screws in and there beefy to
Good job on the maiden. I too love how scale she flies. I can't wait til next weekend, since I will have the better fan/motor in there. I think it will make a huge difference in overall flight performance.

My front and right main gear blocks came loose after my flights, after I pulled them out and used 15 min epoxy on them during the build. I'm trying to think of a way to better secure the blocks to the foam. As soon as I come up with some thing I will let you guys know.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:35 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
Yeah for the Front I'm almost considering using a bolt and go all the way through to the top and use a nut to keep it there
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:21 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
so tonight I get home to adjust the gear doors and would'nt you know my right rear retrack stop working after I cycled it about 4 times. It will go up fine but it wont come back down, any one have this problem?