HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:31 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
...i think it's great that we'll be able to find and share our motor and fan results here. i'm looking forward to hearing what others come up with...i got out all my EDF systems and plugged them into the ESC on the Hornet, cranked the spectrum up to 125% thottle, and did an unscientific thrust test, by holding them and checking them by hand. ( earlier i had held the F-18 vertcally by hand to check it's thrust also, and it wasn't putting out enough to hold itself up)...my choice is SAPAC 4000KV Black Tornado w/ HABU fan, and i wiring up a little larger ESC for safety....i'll keep you guys posted
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,700 Posts
A sapac 4000kv (didn't know they made that kv for 70mm EDF) motor on 4S in a 70mm fan seems like it would be way to too much. Do you mean the sapac MB-1/black tornado 3200kv motor?
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
Hi TCAT...it is 4000KV,...why do you say it would be way too much?....
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,700 Posts
It may not be, but man, it's hard to imagine more kv on 4S when comparing the already powerful MB-1 at 3200kv . How many watts/amps does it produce on 4S. With 4000kv and 4S, I would love to see the performance it provides.

Good luck!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:14 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
Hi TCAT, i wish i had one of those MB-1 3200's to try, i only had the 4K tornado,...i just finish the installation, and there seems to be some serious air coming out the exhaust tubes. i have a 70A esc hooked up now, so i'm hoping to get her to move out a little better. i appreciate your input n advice.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,700 Posts
Absolutely Phil. Good luck on the new power system. Just for reference, on the MB-1 on 4S, it draws a minimum of 65A+, so on the 4000kv on 4S, I would expect the amp draw to increase quite a lot. I would consider a larger ESC than 70A if you have one around. Then again, I have never used the 4000kv motor.

I hope that jet hauls! Post some video I you have it when it flies .
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
the sapac MB-1 combo is pretty quick in this plane, literally tore my wings off
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:02 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
Hey TCAT, ...spooled her up here in the patio , and after a short time the system sounded like it going to explode!....i decided to put back the HABU system, and use 40C batteries till the new HET 2W-20 system arrives....glad i kept a fire extinguisher on hand!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Not sure yet have been pretty busy but should be able to get some more time with the plane tomorrow and then I have the weekend to work on it. So I will probably get her done, spit out a few more videos, then just wait for good weather for the maiden.

Nitro planes has a new video for this plane thought you guys would be interested in seeing it:
New Exceed Rc F-18 Brushless 70mm EDF Fighter Jet w/ Retracts Review (9 min 31 sec)

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Last edited by j3tman; Jan 20, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
Hey TCAT, ...spooled her up here in the patio , and after a short time the system sounded like it going to explode!....i decided to put back the HABU system, and use 40C batteries till the new HET 2W-20 system arrives....glad i kept a fire extinguisher on hand!
Man, that thing must have been spoolin' up quick, ha-ha. It's good that you dropped in a different motor combo. It seems like the safer set-up. Luckily you didn't need to ou the fire extinguisher .
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:09 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
...got in a few more flights today with the new Hornet, and it is a good flying jet. i like a long roll out before rotatation and this makes the take-offs smooth, easy, and predictable....most of my flights have been pretty much flybys with big sweeping turns at each end of our field, (from the lack of any real jet power, for now), ...and landings are easy also, just line up on the runway, ease the power down till she levels outs and let her fly down to the deck herself, i haven't had anything but nice landings with the F-18. ...i think the new 3300 40C's helped a little
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:04 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
the sapac MB-1 combo is pretty quick in this plane, literally tore my wings off
On 4S or 5S???
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
So I received my 3 wire harness for the landing gear to day and long store short my order is completely messed up so if any one is interested in buying some I have 3 of them
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
On 4S or 5S???
only 4S
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:41 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
....got a couple more flights in, hung the ordence under the wings, and the F-18 looks like it means business!.... on flybys, my friends were yelling for me to show the bottom side of the jet with all the rockets and missles, and every pass the 'oooohs and aaaahs' got louder, even linda was impressed! on my last pass in front of the crowd, i pulled the Hornet up hard in a climbing sweeper to really show her off, and the field went wild!...as i'm writing this, linda just handed me my new HET power system, so it's time to get to work!...