SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,406 Posts
I know it's a long shot, but if anyone gets this jet in either the red viper or jolly scheme and doesn't want the rear wheels doors, I'll gladly take them. I have to wait until next month to get replacements from what I was told.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:32 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
You couldn't trace and cut a temporary one out of polystyrene sheet?
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:34 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Wasn't pointing a finger at you, was just saying that although it would be a nice touch, we shouldn't expect the plane manufacturers to over-engineer their products, in response to a comment that sounded like it was saying they (the manufacturer) should know better.

I wouldn't call making the rods a few inches longer so they go into the fuse, "Over-Engineering". I would call it smart/safe engineerng. I'm seeing more manufacturers are doing it these days.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,406 Posts
Quote:
You couldn't trace and cut a temporary one out of polystyrene sheet?
Very true. I could do that, but I figured that if I would just leave them off instead of making a temp. door. It may not be worth the trouble and time.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:34 AM
Joined Oct 2010
14 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=1

X-Flight!~~~~ Do it
So sweet!!!!!!!
lty2010 is offline Find More Posts by lty2010
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:45 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
That's a great idea: instead of string, a rubber band or elastic can be used; the length won't be critical to get the doors closed when the gear retract, need just enough to keep them up under tension.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:01 AM
Joined Jun 2003
81 Posts
How are the 3000 Mah packs balancing?
Soulfly is offline Find More Posts by Soulfly
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:48 AM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Yort69 - that sounds like a great Idea today I am going to try and work on it a bit.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:53 AM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
I know it's a long shot, but if anyone gets this jet in either the red viper or jolly scheme and doesn't want the rear wheels doors, I'll gladly take them. I have to wait until next month to get replacements from what I was told.
PM me your address and I'll send you mine. My rears were a good set.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
PM me your address and I'll send you mine. My rears were a good set.
Matt, I missed your post about what happened to your jet.

I'm sorry about that man. Just a week or so ago, I lost my JPower A-10 with retacts due to the sane thing, except I had major reinforcements and the dumb thing still failed on the first downwind pass. It bummed me out, and irritated me like no other. Thankfully, with a little time I got over it pretty quickly. I hope you get another one of these jets, and thank you for the advice to reinforce the wing through the fuselage. This will help me and others as well, but I hate to see that you were the first to have that happen to you on this jet.

I really appreciate you offering the gear doors. If you are willing to allow me to take them off your hands or purchase them, I gladly will. I appreciate it a lot. I'll send my address via PM right now.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,880 Posts
A couple of pics from the AMA show
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:39 AM
Joined Dec 2007
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lty2010 View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=1

X-Flight!~~~~ Do it
So sweet!!!!!!!
Great idea, thanks for posting! I was fighting with the front gear doors last night using string. One thing I noticed, I got mine working fairly well with string but my front strut is facing the opposite direction from the one in the video, which caused the scissor section of the strut to catch the string when opening. Guess mine was installed backwards. I'm going to turn it 180* and try the rubber bands instead.

Thanks again, that's a great help!
sh996 is offline Find More Posts by sh996
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:41 AM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I know this was already posted about the retracts but if you don't want to take the time and download here is the youtube video:

New F-18(70mm) Gear Door ofRetract (0 min 56 sec)

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
Joined Dec 2007
75 Posts
Quote:
The middle tab on the rudders, that's usually where the rudder servos go. If you plan on installing working rudders, cut this tab off. The corresponding notch in the fuselage is where the servo would go. The rudder servo wire would route along the same channel as the elevator's.
Thanks Fredmbud. I knew the servos went in that location, and was guessing the easiest way to route the wires would be along the elevator servo wires, thanks for confirming.

I decided to go without rudders for now, but when I epoxied the vertical stabs in place I didn't put in around the tabs so it'll be easy to just cut them out to make room for the servos later if I decide to add them. This is my 4th F-18, never had or really needed rudders before...
sh996 is offline Find More Posts by sh996
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:59 AM
south alabama
Joined Dec 2010
296 Posts
This has been the longest 6 day of my life waiting for this jet to get here I’m like a little kid at Christmas, just should have spent the extra 25 bucks to have it flown here to save my sanity
john_53_70 is offline Find More Posts by john_53_70