SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined May 2011
470 Posts
Hand launching is pretty simple. I've launched mine solo many times. My last few flights at the field friends assisted and made it easier. The last flight my buddy got over eager and tried to throw it waaay too hard. I have found the easiest way to hold the plane is like a bowling bowl. Thumb in one wheel well and middle finger in the other. Holding the plane tends to bank the plane toward the thumb so you need to be aware of this. A launch angle between 30 - 40 degree is perfect. Don't get too steep or it will stall. Assure all controls neutral, gradually apply full throttle, cock back and launch it as you would a football the distance of about 8-10 yards (same stance). The plane will try to settle earthward but don't panic. It needs to gain flying speed and lift. Let the plane climb with light up elevator before turning. My buddy tried to throw it way too hard, at too steep of an angle and caught his thumb in the wheel well, The plane shot up, rolled violently left and stalled. There was nothing I could do but watch it spiral into the ground like a lawn dart. It destroyed the plane forward of the wings.

My e-flight fan came with the ring. I could carve out a place in the fuselage for it but I don't know if it is necessary.

Reno
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:04 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
244 Posts
"WTN" - is that Toysonic EDF replacement to the "stock" one an exact fit and really the same ??? Could you please post the link if possible; I'd like to have an extra kick'in around just in case as I plan to fly stock. Thanx
"TIMBITS" is offline Find More Posts by "TIMBITS"
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:44 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TIMBITS" View Post
"WTN" - is that Toysonic EDF replacement to the "stock" one an exact fit and really the same ??? Could you please post the link if possible; I'd like to have an extra kick'in around just in case as I plan to fly stock. Thanx
http://www.toysonics.com/lx-model-70...-fan-unit.html

It is the exact same EDF as the stock unit. It shows at $9.99 but you can get 10% off. So $8.99 + $3.91 shipping from CA to TX. They are fast. Four days and it was here. They even give you 4 screws to mount the motor. My stock motor was mounted with only two screws (why - since there are 4 mounting threads on the motor) and they were both loose. It has the 4mm shaft just like the stock unit - 6 blade fan. Exactly the same unit.

WTN
WTN is offline Find More Posts by WTN
Last edited by WTN; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: remove double WTN
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:28 PM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem View Post
Got some more flight testing this past weekend, the camera has a hard time with this color scheme! For anyone interested the wing has no spar gong through the fuse! Of course I don't have the added weight of retracts either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfQQ-lCZUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO6zCnYCB4
In part 2 video at 4:00 when you came in almost stalled and then going vertical is very impressive. Hope mine will do the same...

Thanx for sharing...
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:40 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Yeah! It is without a doubt the most exciting F-18 I've had, yet!
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:50 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
A question for you guys that have added rudders. I see how to cut them out, add hinges, cut the tab off the hor-stab so the servo (HS-55) will slide in, add the horns and rods.

My question is how to hook them up. I read one post which says you need a y-harness for the servos. Then you run that to the receiver channel that controls the front gear - you use another y-harness at that location to connect both the rudders and front gear. This post also said you might need to reverse the front gear servo. So, that is my question. Did you guys hook it up like this? Did you need to reverse (whatever that means) the front gear steering servo?

BTW - I have the RTF Red Viper with fixed landing gear, which is not a push/pull arrangement - it uses one rod for front steering.

WTN
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
When i did mine i was using a 7 channel radio so i had the rudders on one channel, the steerable nose gear on the aux channel and mixed them into one input. bc of the way they sit you CAN put the rudder on same channel with a Y, no need for a reverse there. IF you are using a 7 channel radio like i was you are able to program the reverse of the steerable nose gear...would have to be different if you are using 6 or 5 channel though.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:51 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Got some more flight testing this past weekend, the camera has a hard time with this color scheme! For anyone interested the wing has no spar gong through the fuse! Of course I don't have the added weight of retracts either!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfQQ-lCZUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO6zCnYCB4
Awesome sound and good job on the paint scheme. Do you mind sharing your power setup?
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:41 AM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jul 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by washab View Post
Awesome sound and good job on the paint scheme. Do you mind sharing your power setup?
Het 2w-25/CS10 blade fan/ Efflux shroud/Hobby Wing Pentium Pro 80amp esc/ 3000 mah 40c 4s Sky lipo also using Turnigy bec w/450 mah 3s for all the electronics.
3rd-dem is offline Find More Posts by 3rd-dem
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:46 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Het 2w-25/CS10 blade fan/ Efflux shroud/Hobby Wing Pentium Pro 80amp esc/ 3000 mah 40c 4s Sky lipo also using Turnigy bec w/450 mah 3s for all the electronics.
Much thanks
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:17 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
When i did mine i was using a 7 channel radio so i had the rudders on one channel, the steerable nose gear on the aux channel and mixed them into one input. bc of the way they sit you CAN put the rudder on same channel with a Y, no need for a reverse there. IF you are using a 7 channel radio like i was you are able to program the reverse of the steerable nose gear...would have to be different if you are using 6 or 5 channel though.
Looks Good. I am Still Learning.

WTN
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:50 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
what TX/RX combo are you using WTN?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:12 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
what TX/RX combo are you using WTN?

I got the RTF model, so whatever that is. Exceed 5 channel.

It has a switch on the left side. I guess that is the 5th channel.

WTN
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:04 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Update for matching the grey color on the Red Viper.

I went to Home Depot and tried to match the color, but it turned out like a light blue. Scratch that. The person tried a couple of times, but no go.

Went across the freeway to Lowes. Their machine said that it would not match that grey color. So, I found a color patch (cannot remember which one) that matched pretty good. I was fixing to buy that color.

Meanwhile, an employee of Lowes who obviously knows HOW TO USE THE COLOR MATCHING machine, tells me that it is matched. He used a different BASE. I told him I would not pay for it if it did not match. He assured me that it would.

And it matched - perfect.

So, lesson learned. Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing.

WTN
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:12 PM
WTN
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
This is a really low cost mod. I ordered a couple of HXT900 servos, a couple of servo reverse units (maybe need them?) and a 5 pack of servo extentions (easily converted to Y-cables) for like $10 total. Of course you pay shipping of $6 or so.

WTN